Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/7): Summers Breezes

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/7): Summers Breezes

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Sano's performance in NB has to have the organization going NUTS! His K ratio is over 35% and this is after 0 K's yesterday. He's being fooled by junk. I've watched most games when they are on MILB and I'm shocked when anyone throws him a fastball strike.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    Sano's performance in NB has to have the organization going NUTS! His K ratio is over 35% and this is after 0 K's yesterday. He's being fooled by junk. I've watched most games when they are on MILB and I'm shocked when anyone throws him a fastball strike.
    It's the first time he has seen such good breaking stuff, it's going to take time to adjust. The cool thing is even with his awful strike out rate he still has a .827 OPS and is showing some nice defense at the hot corner.

I'm not overly worried, if we are at July 8th 2014 and he is still showing that "struggle" I might begin to worry a bit.he will be fine

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, lots of guys get promoted and struggle at the first taste of tougher ball. Then they come back next year and replicate their previous year's numbers at that level. I think the struggle, more than anything else indicates that he's not quite as ready as some of opined. He will likely finish out the year in AA and start there again next year (baring a hot streak), and earn a mid season promotion to Rochester and possibly MLB.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    At the very least its killed any chance that he makes the club in 2014 - unless he catches on of course.

Just remember guys how young Sano is...he was the youngest player....in FT. MYERS..So once again hes one of the youngest prospect in a class that has a lot more top pitching prospects so it will take some time...he will finish out this yr at AA then probably start there again next yr..he will be fine and we will see him soon enough

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On other threads I see comments suggesting that Sano and Buxton will be on the MLB roster next year. I have even read comments that Sano may be called up this September. I find these ideas to be ridiculous.

Sano is very young. Give him some time. And stop pretending he is MLB ready when he clearly is not.

Patience, my brothers (and sisters). All in good time.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano is a strikeout guy. As he moves up, there will continue to be struggles and his future will be dependent upon whether or not he is able to adjust. Yes, the power numbers are still good, but (and I brought this up on one of my articles today), Brandon Wood hit for a lot of power throughout the minors and his inability to make contact made him a guy who never made it. As is pointed out, he is so young relative to the competition that there is no reason to be at all concerned. He's shown the ability to adjust quickly. I'd say that mid-May is still the most realistic time frame for him to arrive still.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Sano doesn't even have to be on the 40 man roster until after the 2014 season. I doubt that the Twins will rush him, especially when he is showing that he isn't ready.

Who should we be watching that need to be added to the 40-man roster spots this off-season (or get added as a September callup). I see lots of vancancies...probably as high as 15, when the season finally ends. DeVries, Pelfry, Roenicke, Duensing (arbitration), Swarzak (arbitration), Wood, Hermsen, Butera, Colabello, Mastro, Thomas, Ramierz, and possible trades of FA's Willingham, Carroll, Morneau, Correia, and the dark horse Perkins. Spring cleaning in the fall.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Who should we be watching that need to be added to the 40-man roster spots this off-season (or get added as a September callup). I see lots of vancancies...probably as high as 15, when the season finally ends. DeVries, Pelfry, Roenicke, Duensing (arbitration), Swarzak (arbitration), Wood, Hermsen, Butera, Colabello, Mastro, Thomas, Ramierz, and possible trades of FA's Willingham, Carroll, Morneau, Correia, and the dark horse Perkins. Spring cleaning in the fall.
    I see five that are nearly locks, Logan Darnell, Alex Wimmers (assuming he is healthy and pitching by next month), Kennys Vargas, Jorge Polanco and Max Kepler. Also see them adding one or two from a trio of relievers, Achter, Hauser or O'Rourke. Two long shots, in my opinion, could be Danny Ortiz and Deibinson Romero. Ortiz problem is that he is an outfielder on a team loaded with outfield prospects. Romero could be considered if he has a good second half after missing the start of the season.

I'm not turned off by Sano as 2 current all stars struggled in their time @ AA also....Bryce Harper & Manny Machado....at the same age but used their time to learn.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I see five that are nearly locks, Logan Darnell, Alex Wimmers (assuming he is healthy and pitching by next month), Kennys Vargas, Jorge Polanco and Max Kepler. Also see them adding one or two from a trio of relievers, Achter, Hauser or O'Rourke. Two long shots, in my opinion, could be Danny Ortiz and Deibinson Romero. Ortiz problem is that he is an outfielder on a team loaded with outfield prospects. Romero could be considered if he has a good second half after missing the start of the season.
    I'm not sure how Wimmers would be a lock. I get the first round status, but between Blass disease and Tommy John, Wimmers has essentially lost 3 of the 4 years he's been with the org. He hasn't pitched above high A either, which means he's likely going to finish his rehab this year in Fort Meyers and then potentially play in the AFL. I cannot see many teams willing to give him a spot on the 25 man roster for a season and then return him to AA. Barring absolute AFL domination, I would not be shocked if he wasn't protected, and I doubt anyone would take him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I'm not turned off by Sano as 2 current all stars struggled in their time @ AA also....Bryce Harper & Manny Machado....at the same age but used their time to learn.
    Hi A to AA is the hardest jump in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm not sure how Wimmers would be a lock. I get the first round status, but between Blass disease and Tommy John, Wimmers has essentially lost 3 of the 4 years he's been with the org. He hasn't pitched above high A either, which means he's likely going to finish his rehab this year in Fort Meyers and then potentially play in the AFL. I cannot see many teams willing to give him a spot on the 25 man roster for a season and then return him to AA. Barring absolute AFL domination, I would not be shocked if he wasn't protected, and I doubt anyone would take him.
    If Wimmers has to be protected, I can see protecting him, doesn't it only cost 25 grand to pick up someone if you then decide to give them back? Pocket change in baseball scheme of things. That is also predicated that he gets back on the mound before seasons end and looks promising.