Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Gonsalves

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    (Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...
    Berrios and Buxton moved up to E-Town last year as they made their run into and through the playoffs. I definitely think that is possible, though I don't think either are as polished as Berrios was when he was drafted last year. I think it would make sense for the Twins to see these guys there (in Elizabethton) a little this year to give them a better idea if they could handle a full-season assignment next spring.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Great to see him having such early success. I hope he can keep it up, and fight through the inevitable tough games that happen to everyone. Sounds like a pitcher with a lot of potential.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stephen Gonsalves Update 3:

By the way, I write this from the box score and anything I can read about the game...where I live (MD suburbs of Washington DC) the only Twins affiliate that I have a chance of seeing live is New Britain (when they come to Bowie or Harrisburg)...maybe in 2014 I will adopt a prospect from New Britain but I like the ones I have...

Stephen made his 3rd GCL appearance today...he didn't get the start that went to Alex Wimmers (rehab??). Not his best but still pretty DAM good. Stephen pitched 3 innings (5-7) gave up his first professional run (on 2 hits--a single and a double). He struck out 4 and didn't walk anybody (or hit a batter either). He did make an inconsequential error on a pickoff attempt. He had 3 groundball outs and 1 flyout in addition to his 4Ks.

His 2013 (and career) totals--8IP, 1 Run (Earned), 4 hits, 3 BB and 10Ks. So his K/BB ratio is still outstanding (10-3). His ground/fly ratio remains 3/1 (9/3) and his WHIP is a miniscule 0.875. His official line is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA. All of this is outstanding and with each appearance I grow more optimistic about his future in the Twins organization...(Seth and Jeremy could Stephen and Kohl move up in Sept. for playoffs with Sept. call ups or will the Twins as usual move them slowly up the chain???)...again remember we are dealing with a very small sample size here...
    Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?

Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Hmm...when is NB next in Bowie?
    Last weekend in August sees NB come to Bowie...my son and I are thinking of going...depending on the arrival of the grandson who is due at that time...

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, there is an analyst for ESPN who is so negative about him, we wondered about the analysts motivations. They're supposed to be unbiased, but this analyst was showed the most negative bias toward Stephen of any athlete in recent memory. I wonder if this analyst's opinion affected anybody. Probably not.

I thought he was perhaps the biggest steal of the draft. I like him better than Eades, whom we picked in the second round.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm wondering if they are going to keep Gonsalves and Stewart together much like they did Mauer and Morneau. The two are already rooming together and both are doing exceptionally well in the GCL thus far. I think they keep them together as long as their performance allows it.
    Building a friendly competition sounds like a good plan.

Stephen Gonsalves update 4:

Stephen made his 4th professional appearance today--closing out the game--pitching the last 3.1 innings. He has now started once, thrown in the middle twice and closed once. The GCL Twins lost the game--it appears their defense was the cause (4 errors leading to 2 unearned runs). This all happened before Stephen took the mound. For the day, Stephen gave up 3 hits and a BB in his 3.1 IP (but no runs). He struck out 2, got 5 ground outs and 1 flyout. Pretty DAM impressive even if not his best performance as a pro.

For 2013 (and his career) Stephen has pitched 11.1 innings given up 1 earned run, 7 hits, 4 BBs and struck out12. That gives him the following outstanding ratios--K/BB 12-4 or 3-1; ground/fly of 14/4 which is 3.5/1 and a WHIP of 0.999. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.79. Looking more and more like a steal in the 4th round...and it will be interesting to watch him and Kohl Stewart the next 2 or 3 years as they move up the Twins minor league system.

Stephen Gonsalves Update 5

Stephen made his 5th professional appearance yesterday for the GCL Twins. It was his second start. He left with a 1-0 lead--but the GCL Twins lost the game as the pitchers who followed including Luke Bard didn't do as well. Stephen continued his impressive career but a couple of bad things showed up. He got 0 (nada, zilch) ground outs. His 9 outs were 3 fly ball outs and 6Ks. He also walked 3 (that's one per inning--not good). Still he only gave up 1 hit and no runs (earned or unearned) as well as averaging 2 strikeouts per inning.

For 2013 (and his career)--Stephen has pitched 14.1 innings (seems to be limited to 3IP per appearance) while giving up one earned run and 8 hits. He has walked 7 and struck out 18. That gives him the following outstanding ratios: K/BB 18-7 or 2.57. Ground to fly of 14/7 or 2; and a WHIP of 1.047. (All of these dropped after yesterday's appearance but are still outstanding. His official line is 1-0 with an ERA of 0.63.

By the way, has anybody else had trouble with extremely slow loading of Twins Daily??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    I'm no smarty pants computer guy, but I assume the slow loading is probably due to high traffic due to the trade deadline. It was also slow on draft day.

The GB% is a red flag, though I like the K%. Of course in short season league the K% is high for most guys. We'll see if that GB% improves once more guys start putting the ball in play. Or hopefully not.

Member Single-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm no smarty pants computer guy, but I assume the slow loading is probably due to high traffic due to the trade deadline. It was also slow on draft day.

The GB% is a red flag, though I like the K%. Of course in short season league the K% is high for most guys. We'll see if that GB% improves once more guys start putting the ball in play. Or hopefully not.
    I wouldn't worry about yesterday's 0GB:3FB ratio. Gonsalves currently has a 1.56 GB/FB ratio. While that's not stellar, it's pretty good, and would certainly qualify him at least as a moderate GB pitcher (albeit in a very small sample size).

Also, each of his previous appearance (there have been 4) have had at least a 1.50 GB:FB ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Thanks--good point on trade deadline day...

How fast has be been on the gun?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gonsalves just tweeted that tomorrow he'll be "one step closer" to Target Field. Flying from FM to Elizabethton. Aggressive promotion. I like it!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Gonsalves just tweeted that tomorrow he'll be "one step closer" to Target Field. Flying from FM to Elizabethton. Aggressive promotion. I like it!
    Great news! A lot of us thought he was a steal when we drafted him and he has looked great so far. The Twins system lacks high upside LH pitching like Gonsalves.

That is interesting, all the more so because Stewart is staying in Florida, no?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    That is interesting, all the more so because Stewart is staying in Florida, no?
    Stewart cut his foot and hasn't pitched in a week so. He is a start or two behind Gonsalves.

We're very excited for Stephens early success. He's looking forward to the next test. Very excited we get to listen to the games on the computer) Go Elizabethon!!

I don't "tweet"--as a soon-to-be grandfather (my first grandchild--a boy is due any day) I am too old to adapt quickly to new technology...

I tried MILB.com and Twins sites--could not find confirmation--but assume it is true and will be posted soon enough. Good for Stephen who is more and more looking like a steal in the draft. Will be checking E-Town boxscores looking for him. (Good news since my other "adopt a prospect" Brett Lee has joined Kohl Stewart on the 7 day DL.

I don't "tweet"--as a soon-to-be grandfather (my first grandchild--a boy is due any day) I am too old to adapt quickly to new technology...

I tried MILB.com and Twins sites--could not find confirmation--but assume it is true and will be posted soon enough. Good for Stephen who is more and more looking like a steal in the draft. Will be checking E-Town boxscores looking for him. (Good news since my other "adopt a prospect" Brett Lee has joined Kohl Stewart on the 7 day DL.
    Words of wisdom - thank goodness for pot-smoking friends to lie for.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast