Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where are we?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    There was no need to trade Santana in 2007 (nor was there a need to trade him that winter) unless you were getting back a package too good to turn down.

This is old ground, but the Twins would have been much better off letting Santana play out his contract and taking 2 draft picks. Many said so at the time, so please...no "hindsight is 20-20" comments.

I also don't buy the "left a mess for Bill Smith" line of reasoning...at least not as much of an excuse. Smith had been in the organization for decades, was 2nd in line to Ryan, and certainly was well aware of what the situation was long before he sat down in the big chair. Ryan was still on the payroll and a phone call away, for that matter, if he was
    somehow missing some information.
    I'm not making excuses for the fiasco that was Bill Smith. But the franchise was not in the best of shape in the winter of 2007.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Ah, ok. I was baffled becasue he also traded Liriano last year. And I couldn't imagine getting too worked up about losing Castillo. Though I questioned it at the time.

I always wondered if that Castillo trade was one of the reasons Ryan retired. That year, the Twins were really in between seller and buyers, so he tried to walk a middle path and got ripped by the players. Twins were 7 games back, if I recall, when they made that trade.
    I think he resigned because he could not stomach the mauer deal.....but that is pure speculation.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll add my two cents as a Twins fan who was perplexed and disappointed upon finding out the Twins were acting like sellers at the '07 deadline and then only sold off a bit piece for a negligible return.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123