Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Zimmerman trial

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I've always believed that we need to start with education. Tear the throat out of the American education system. Break the teacher's union who fight every change, whether it's good for the kids or not. Pay teachers a competitive wage to attract more of the best and brightest. Destroy the faculty system that eats far too many of the school's resources for so little direct involvement with the kids. Restructure this asinine 185 day school year that is based around friggin' farm seasons. Stop basing school funding on property tax revenue. I mean, COME ON. Blow the whole damned thing up.

It's a long-term fix but IMO, it's the smartest fix we could make.
    For the record, I used to be on the school schedule thing myself. Extensive research shows that it's actually not better for anyone to go year round, or at least, it doesn't bring anything more. Your last revenue is really the key to this issue and why it is so critical to resist voucher systems. (I'd argue the faculty systems point is a bit odd, education is a people-heavy system, the more people you have working with kids, the better. The cost that is really sky-rocketing is special education and that is an issue all to itself)

At the same time, it will be critical for those schools to make sure they are safe, respectful, disciplined, and that education is valued in the community. Good ideas for this would be uniforms, strong faculty, and a lot of community outreach.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,521 Times in 795 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    For the record, I used to be on the school schedule thing myself. Extensive research shows that it's actually not better for anyone to go year round, or at least, it doesn't bring anything more. Your last revenue is really the key to this issue and why it is so critical to resist voucher systems. (I'd argue the faculty systems point is a bit odd, education is a people-heavy system, the more people you have working with kids, the better. The cost that is really sky-rocketing is special education and that is an issue all to itself)

At the same time, it will be critical for those schools to make sure they are safe, respectful, disciplined, and that education is valued in the community. Good ideas for this would be uniforms, strong faculty, and a lot of community outreach.
    I'm not necessarily advocating year-round schools as much as I'm advocating a longer school year. The US goes to school for less days than most other industrialized countries. The side effect is that nine month school would be largely eliminated.

My point about faculty is about support staff, not teachers. I'm all for more teachers. I'm not in favor of $150k principal salaries (but even principals are better than district-level employees, who swallow up too much money that should be directed straight to the schools themselves).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm not necessarily advocating year-round schools as much as I'm advocating a longer school year. The US goes to school for less days than most other industrialized countries. The side effect is that nine month school would be largely eliminated.
    But we go about the same as Finland who far out-achieves us. I'm not so sure that issue is all that relevant. We could extend it slightly, but it's probably a moot issue. At least that's what research/studies are showing.

My point about faculty is about support staff, not teachers. I'm all for more teachers. I'm not in favor of $150k principal salaries (but even principals are better than district-level employees, who swallow up too much money that should be directed straight to the schools themselves).
    Well, that's more administrative. "Support staff" can be misleading because that can include para-professionals which is a position most schools are desperately thin on because the pay is so low and the job is so crappy. I'd agree that districts could be leaner - I'd actually like to see them increase teacher pay significiantly to take on some of those roles. Or to have multiple hats on one person (curriculum advisor, tech coordinator, etc.)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I completely agree. But the bigger question should be why is this happening! I don't think the answer is quick and easy. I don't think ending racism is the answer or realistic. I think the answer is more complicated and more difficult, which is why it has been a major problem for nearly a century. I really haven't spent enough time in discussions, research, or time spent brainstorming to come up with a valid solution (we all know I could if I wanted to though).
    Truthfully, I don't think the answer here is race. It's family.

If you look at family structures, one thing you can say for certain is that the lack of a stable two parent family correlates much better to crime rates than the color of one's skin. If a kid grows up without a dad, he's far more likely to be in the system.

I'm not advocating forcing society to stick to a two person family is not the answer, but I don't think you can have this discussion and ignore that data.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345