Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point?

At what point?

Does Gardenhire go on the proverbial hot seat?

Before I explain, I should probably make it clear I'm not trying to be one of those fans that overreacts over 2 games, but with his playoff failures, and now the fact that the wheels are starting to come off (based on last year), at what point do you think the team would think about making a change? I like Gardy, but it almost seems like his act is starting to wear thin, and sometimes change is a good thing.

Just curious to get your thoughts. I think, and hope, he lasts the whole year. Midseason firings normally don't benefit anybody, really.

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    I don't see him going on the hot seat (more's the pity). Ryan had to know that they have a mediocre team at best. If Mauer and Morneau start performing like their "old" (pre-injury) selves but the surrounding players don't support them, it still seems like more of a Ryan failure than a Gardenhire one.

But I doubt that either of them would lose their jobs -- and never at mid-season. After the season, the team might gracefully find a way for them to exit (a la Ryan's 1st retirement).

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    48 hours ago I would have thought that Gardy was safe for as long as he wanted. But now I'm wondering. It's a nebulous answer, but it depends how the team looks as much as the results. If they look ugly, you never know. Things could go south much faster than I would have thought.

I hope it doesn't happen. But, if the Twins lose close to 100 games again this year, then it sure should happen. That means that the Twins have had a payroll in the top 1/2 of the league for 2 straight years, and turned it into 2 of the worst results in team history. Someone has to take the blame and it only makes sense that the manager shares in that. I would imagine if we end up there again, Gardy himself might want to consider a change, I don't think he had a lot of fun last year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan overhauled the roster, but was limited by budget. Gardy continuosly runs the same guys out there with no accountability. Glad too see Valencia get benched after yesterday, sit him for a couple games. Revere is (pick your Gardy favorite from the past) but because he hits .300 its ok. No its not and the argument that a single or BB is the same as a double or triple is not valid because doubles and triples drive in runs and you can't steal a base if its occupied by someone else. Trade some of these OF prospects for pitching help and look to the future, this season could be painful.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While the players haven't been doing great, I actually think Gardy has made some decent coaching moves so far. After Doumit turned a fly ball into a triple, he didn't start the next game. Valencia had a rough game, and Casilla hasn't been hitting, and they are sitting today. These are the kinds of things that a manager can control. He can't make guys hit better, he can't make guys play better. But he can hold them accountable, and pull them when they are not doing well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the poster said "It's only 2 games" but I can't believe were 2 games in and have threads on "Fire Gardy" and "Panic Yet" Sheesh...I thought this place would be a little more positive/realistic than BYTO. Same delusionals, different url.
    Wikipedia is for suckers

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tiffee View Post
    Does Gardenhire go on the proverbial hot seat?

Before I explain, I should probably make it clear I'm not trying to be one of those fans that overreacts over 2 games, but with his playoff failures, and now the fact that the wheels are starting to come off (based on last year), at what point do you think the team would think about making a change? I like Gardy, but it almost seems like his act is starting to wear thin, and sometimes change is a good thing.

Just curious to get your thoughts. I think, and hope, he lasts the whole year. Midseason firings normally don't benefit anybody, really.
    He's not in the hot seat. Ryan and the Pohlad's aren't going to fire him. The Twins very rarely fire anyone and Gardy's been a very good manager.

Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    I know the poster said "It's only 2 games" but I can't believe were 2 games in and have threads on "Fire Gardy" and "Panic Yet" Sheesh...I thought this place would be a little more positive/realistic than BYTO. Same delusionals, different url.
    Not delusional. What's delusional is letting a manager continue to get a free pass with a historically bad playoff record.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    He's not in the hot seat. Ryan and the Pohlad's aren't going to fire him. The Twins very rarely fire anyone and Gardy's been a very good manager.
    He's won crappy divisions and has embarrassed himself and the team in the playoffs. "Very good manager" might be a little generous.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denarded View Post
    I thought this place would be a little more positive/realistic than BYTO. Same delusionals, different url.
    Positive and realistic sometimes are not the same, unfortunately.

As far as the original question goes: I think that Gardy is already on the hot seat and if the Twins do not make the post-season (given the dismal performance the last few seasons) I think he (and Ryan) are goners.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Positive and realistic sometimes are not the same, unfortunately.

As far as the original question goes: I think that Gardy is already on the hot seat and if the Twins do not make the post-season (given the dismal performance the last few seasons) I think he (and Ryan) are goners.
    In most organizations, I'd agree. I have a hard time seeing the Pohlads pull the trigger, though, which frustrates me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    He's won crappy divisions and has embarrassed himself and the team in the playoffs. "Very good manager" might be a little generous.
    No, it's not. And, more importantly, the front office understands that.

Grow up? LOL, just trying to have intelligent Twins conversation... You can partake at any time.

Grow up? LOL, just trying to have intelligent Twins conversation... You can partake at any time.
    OK genius, tell me how changing managers will make one damn bit of difference. Tony LaRussa combined with the ghosts of Connie Mack and Earl Weaver can't make a bad team good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    48 hours ago I would have thought that Gardy was safe for as long as he wanted. But now I'm wondering. It's a nebulous answer, but it depends how the team looks as much as the results. If they look ugly, you never know. Things could go south much faster than I would have thought.
    Although I think it's less than 50/50 that this will happen, this is the most likely scenario, speaking possibilities-wise.

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet thread. Is this your first year watching baseball or something?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now

Be real nice to see them get rid of him, now, after this stirring nearly no-hit loss. Whatever managerial intangibles spur players on - he lost a long time ago. He should have gotten the ax six years ago. He's a very stupid man, and if they do start off 0-10 - the pressure will build and all the Gardy antics in the world won't save him. They need new blood at the helm, and in the front office. It's gotta happen, or the franchise will lose its value appreciably.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    I think the Twins Organization starting with the Owner, is the one that is on the hot seat.

Managers start getting heat early in the season all the time. They generally shouldn't, but it does happen. One series is nothing but a bad April could turn it into a legitimate issue.

I personally don't think it really matters, but many in the media and fan base think otherwise.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast