Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Mixed Developments For Future of Twins Rotation

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    I wish everyone would stop focusing on the speed of pitches. Location and baseball smarts are more important than mph. Gibson looks like he has a good off-speed out pitch. Let us hope he develops to become a Cy Young candidate, using smars & skills, instead of speed.
    Maybe, but a smarts, loccation + a big FB would be fantastic

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The decision to send Lannan down by the Nats was a controversial one, and a close call made at the close of spring training. It was largely a function of the Nats SP numbers game as they continued to improve their rotation depth with young arms- not a reflection of a sudden drop-off in Lannan. The Twins didn't want him, that is a given- as they had already "moved on" to being shrewd and "thrifty" with their dumpster diving methodology and rather peculiarly signing a starter just 8 months off of TJ surgery. So you and I can look at what the Twins are trotting out in the rotation now---- and the numbers that are the worst in baseball for starting pitchers--- and one can't possibly come to the conclusion that there "was no reason to include him in the trade." To the contrary, other than Deduno, Lannan would have been the best option coming out of spring training- better, and a more durable and reliable track record than Worley and Correia, at a cost of just one year's worth of Correia.
    Sure Lannan. I grant there is a chance he could have been a slight upgrade on Pelfrey and/or Correia.

Probably not enough of a reason to acquire him for the right to pay twice as much as he got as a free agent. Perhaps the Twins should have signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    The future of the rotation is in the CR, GCL and E-twon
    Guys like Felix Jorge, Randy Rosario, Yorman Landa, Berrios, Stewart are going to be the future.
    Gibson, Meyer, May are nice pitchers, but in my opinion, by the time the above guys get to AA, the Twins are going to be looking at a amazing future rotation.
    Just not true. Most players look good at A, Low-A, Rookie, and Instructional. It's when they get to AA that their weaknesses--both physical and mental--become magnified. Look at Trevor May. There's no way any one of the prospects you listed is more highly regarded than May was when he was at those lower levels. Yet, here he is now, seemingly stuck in AA for eternity. Gibson and Meyer (along with Barrios, perhaps) are the cream of the crop in this organization. There are plenty of other interesting arms, but those are the guys that have been pegged to lead this organization to the promise land. And it looks like we'll need to come up with another one or two at AA or higher via trade if we really want to contend soon.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 813 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Sure Lannan. I grant there is a chance he could have been a slight upgrade on Pelfrey and/or Correia.

Probably not enough of a reason to acquire him for the right to pay twice as much as he got as a free agent. Perhaps the Twins should have signed him.
    John Lannan pitched 8 innings of shutout ball tonight against the Nationals. ERA is now 4.23. 8 innings and 4.23 are more than enough reasons to have signed, or traded for, Lannan, compared to the bulk of the Twins starting staff. (Has anyone gone 8 this year?) 5 of 8 starts on the season have been Quality Starts, including 3 of 5 since being reactivated. If fully healthy, and given the Feldman trade, how much could have been received in trade for Lannan?
    Last edited by jokin; 07-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8 starts on the season? I'd go with "not much more than Corriea".

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 813 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    8 starts on the season? I'd go with "not much more than Corriea".
    It's hard to project a leg injury 3 starts into the season, especially from a guy who ha had only one 15 day DL in his entire career up to 2013.

Oh BTW, 5 QS out of 8 total gives him a 63% rate of starting effectiveness. The Twins staff has 32 QS in 86 games- that comes out to 37%. Kevin Correia? 9 QS in 17 starts-- 53%.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    John Lannan pitched 8 innings of shutout ball tonight against the Nationals. ERA is now 4.23. 8 innings and 4.23 are more than enough reasons to have signed, or traded for, Lannan, compared to the bulk of the Twins starting staff. (Has anyone gone 8 this year?) 5 of 8 starts on the season have been Quality Starts, including 3 of 5 since being reactivated. If fully healthy, and given the Feldman trade, how much could have been received in trade for Lannan?
    Personally I was not opposed to your hypothetical Lannan signing (as I suggested in my previous post). I just don't think the Twins, if they were to do such a signing, needed to spend twice as much on him as it would have taken to sign him.

But to answer your question - at this point I don't think Lannan would net the Twins much of anything. Perhaps that would change by the deadline.
    Papers...business papers.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jokin, you need to drop this Lannan thing. When not injured, the guy has been thoroughly mediocre in the National League. He's no better than what the Twins have. I mean... seriously, is this a bit?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123