Thread: Twins Minor League Starting Rotations

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Minor League Starting Rotations

Rochester: PJ Walter, Scott Diamond, Daryl Thompson, Cole DeVries, Sam Deduno

New Britain: Luke French, Steve Hirschfeld, Logan Darnell, Alex Wimmers, Andrew Albers

Ft. Myers: Pat Dean, BJ Hermsen, Adrian Salcedo, Marty Popham, Manuel Soliman.

Beloit: Madison Boer, Steven Gruver, Tim Shibuya, Jason Wheeler, Matt Summers.

Which is the best? Which has the best potential? Which other pitchers do you anticipate getting starts throughout the season?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Fort Myers rotation is the best and has the most potential. I also like Beloit's. When Hendriks comes to Rochester Deduno will move to the pen. That was a surprise to see. I think that in a month and a half Aaron Thompson will probably replace someone in Rochester or New Britain as well.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like Thrylos I think that Ft Myers has the best rotation with the most potential. Beloit will be fun to watch, but pitchers are such fickle baseball players and it's hard to project them out too far when injury concerns loom so high over them all.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Beloit's rotation the best, but that's mostly because 2 of the guys (Boer and Summers) should dominate (exp. college pitchers). Gruver could make an impression too. Fort Myers is also interesting as Dean, Salcedo, and Solimon could be very good for them. I worry about Hermsen. He'll probably do well in the FSL, but I fear how he'll be able to handle AA and AAA. Hopefully Wimmers can be a stud for New Britain, if he is, I see him pitching with the Twins late this year. Good luck Rochester.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

I don't know for sure if Hermsen will struggle he might just be one of those pitchers who gets outs.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IowaHawkeyes - I like the line of thinking, and hope you're right being a homer and all q as he's the type of guy you pull for... There's just a whole lotta "but's" there...
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Yes I am a homer lol but I believe that he can do good and he is from my hometown so I want him to do good lol I can also see him struggling too

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    As far as the conversation about Hermsen is concerned, I see him making it. I look at him and see a future Nick Blackburn, which will have a place as a future Twins #5/#6 starter (I am optimistic future starting rotations are going to be better than current...a few years out, please!).

As for who is the best rotation, my vote goes to New Britain. Andrew Albers is going to have a very good year and Luke French will be awesome in AA, assuming he stays there awhile. All fans and the Twins need Wimmers to be what Hendriks was a year ago. Hirschfeld will be what he was last year, a solid innings eater. To be the top rotation, they need Darnell to pitch as well or better at AA as he did at Fort Myers last summer.

The surprise at Beloit will be Gruver, who I think will be very good. I don't know how long Summers will stay in the rotation, but if he does, I rate the three draft picks from last year, Boer, Summers and Gruver, as very, very good.