Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Roster changes imminent

  1. #21
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    Actually releasing Carroll could be an option. He doesn't have any worth left with the team, I must admit at this point. But we have too many OFs at this point. I think Hicks needs to spend some time in AAA and come back in September.
    Carroll isn't a feasible option, if you release him and any of Escobar, Florimon, Dozier, or Plouffe get injured the only other middle infielder on the 40 man is Danny Santana, and his AA slash line doesn't suggest him being all that close to MLB ready to me.

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,245
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    I think Diamond has an option remaining--it may be him instead of Walters. That being said, Pelfrey would likely get two ML starts to "showcase" his health (as well as his arm) prior to the break for the purpose of trading him.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Triple-A Thegrin's Avatar
    Posts
    377
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    If you are wondering how Hicks is doing on his rehab assignment, check my blog.
    Aaron Hicks 2013 Rehab - Blogs - Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

  4. #24
    Senior Member Triple-A Thegrin's Avatar
    Posts
    377
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    There is no point in trading Pelfrey or any other pitcher unless the Twins get at least a "good" prospect in return. They would be better off sending Pelfrey to rehab. Let Pelfrey, Worley and Walters prove they are MLB starters. If they are. resign them for another year

    After last weeks outing with the Twins and last nights game, Hernandez has earned another chance to pitch with the Twins.

  5. #25
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,587
    Like
    199
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    There is no point in trading Pelfrey or any other pitcher unless the Twins get at least a "good" prospect in return. They would be better off sending Pelfrey to rehab. Let Pelfrey, Worley and Walters prove they are MLB starters. If they are. resign them for another year

    After last weeks outing with the Twins and last nights game, Hernandez has earned another chance to pitch with the Twins.
    Hernandez is in there with the rest of them IMHO. Diamond, De Vries, Hendriks, Pelfrey, Walters, Worley, and Albers all look like back-of-the-rotation types that can succeed if they hit their spots or get knocked around if they don't. That is seven guys for two spots.

    Pelfrey (veteran) and Walters (out of options) can't be optioned. Albers isn't on the 40-man, but if Walters is demoted, there would be a spot for him. It is akin to making your choice from the clearance rack at Target from the irregulars.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 06-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.

  6. #26
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,858
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    There is no point in trading Pelfrey or any other pitcher unless the Twins get at least a "good" prospect in return. They would be better off sending Pelfrey to rehab. Let Pelfrey, Worley and Walters prove they are MLB starters. If they are. resign them for another year

    After last weeks outing with the Twins and last nights game, Hernandez has earned another chance to pitch with the Twins.
    Pelfrey is a seven year vet. Worley is under team control and does not need to be "resigned". Just wanted to clarify two bizarre comments there.

    The 5 men that should be hurling for this team post deadline should be Diamond, Gibson, Worley, Albers, and it doesn't really matter. So if the Twins can get a little value for Correia or Pelfrey...do it. You can easily flush 10M to get similar talents again this next offseason.

  7. #27
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Pelfrey is a seven year vet. Worley is under team control and does not need to be "resigned". Just wanted to clarify two bizarre comments there.

    The 5 men that should be hurling for this team post deadline should be Diamond, Gibson, Worley, Albers, and it doesn't really matter. So if the Twins can get a little value for Correia or Pelfrey...do it. You can easily flush 10M to get similar talents again this next offseason.
    Actually, I kinda wish some of these suspects would "resign", so that the Twins can "re-sign" the more worthy candidates, or better yet, "sign" even more legitimate candidates.

  8. #28
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,123
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The 5 men that should be hurling for this team post deadline should be Diamond, Gibson, Worley, Albers, and it doesn't really matter. So if the Twins can get a little value for Correia or Pelfrey...do it. You can easily flush 10M to get similar talents again this next offseason.
    At this point, the Twins should be asking for more than a little value from Correia. He's having a very nice season. As for Pelfrey, don't care. Hand him a one way bus ticket to Albuquerque for all I care. Same goes for Walters.

    This team needs to start clearing room for Albers and Worley. Those two guys have a chance of helping the team in future seasons.

  9. #29
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Pelfrey is a seven year vet. Worley is under team control and does not need to be "resigned". Just wanted to clarify two bizarre comments there.

    The 5 men that should be hurling for this team post deadline should be Diamond, Gibson, Worley, Albers, and it doesn't really matter. So if the Twins can get a little value for Correia or Pelfrey...do it. You can easily flush 10M to get similar talents again this next offseason.
    You've got it right on the 4 candidates for second-half rotation nominees. I suspect that Albers stays down barring further injury or both Pelfrey and Correia being moved. Albers would likely take Gibson's spot in August. Regarding the 5th spot, so many suspects.....so little chance for future success....I'd like to see May and/or Darnell get a crack in the rotation at call-up time (or in May's specific case, even before if he continues to string some decent starts together).
    Last edited by jokin; 06-30-2013 at 08:10 AM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    I would be curious to know why some are willing to keep Diamond in the rotation. With the exception of one good start on June 2, he has been pretty awful since early May - 6.89 ERA since May 10th.

    I'm not saying jettison him - but give him some AAA time to work out whatever has gone wrong.

  11. #31
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,858
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I would be curious to know why some are willing to keep Diamond in the rotation. With the exception of one good start on June 2, he has been pretty awful since early May - 6.89 ERA since May 10th.

    I'm not saying jettison him - but give him some AAA time to work out whatever has gone wrong.
    Lack of better alternatives is the best way to summarize it.

  12. #32
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,858
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    At this point, the Twins should be asking for more than a little value from Correia. He's having a very nice season. As for Pelfrey, don't care. Hand him a one way bus ticket to Albuquerque for all I care. Same goes for Walters.
    Yeah, didn't want to lump those guys based on value, more on situation. I think Correia could fetch something interesting and I'm hoping we pull that trigger.

  13. #33
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah, didn't want to lump those guys based on value, more on situation. I think Correia could fetch something interesting and I'm hoping we pull that trigger.
    I've been wishing for this outcome, and hoping that was the intention in the back of TR's mind, from day one of this signing. I just don't think Ryan sees it that way. If anything, he's probably wondering what KC would take in an extension.

  14. #34
    I've always liked Walters, but he hasn't done himself any favors lately. If they don't see him as being part of the long-term solution to the rotation, then it's probably time to set him free and see if anyone else is willing to give him a shot. The Twins have too many career minor leaguers hanging around just on the cusp (Deduno, DeVries, Albers, Hendriks....etc.). It's time to start making decisions on some of these guys.

  15. #35
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,858
    Like
    12
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Pelfrey is a seven year vet. Worley is under team control and does not need to be "resigned". Just wanted to clarify two bizarre comments there.

    The 5 men that should be hurling for this team post deadline should be Diamond, Gibson, Worley, Albers, and it doesn't really matter. So if the Twins can get a little value for Correia or Pelfrey...do it. You can easily flush 10M to get similar talents again this next offseason.
    No love for Deduno? There is a legit chance he can be a viable option for next year. At the very least it is worth the rest of year to attempt to figure it out.

  16. #36
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    I've always liked Walters, but he hasn't done himself any favors lately. If they don't see him as being part of the long-term solution to the rotation, then it's probably time to set him free and see if anyone else is willing to give him a shot. The Twins have too many career minor leaguers hanging around just on the cusp (Deduno, DeVries, Albers, Hendriks....etc.). It's time to start making decisions on some of these guys.
    Pretty much spot on, with the exception of Deduno, I think the decision has been made on him. As of right now, anyway, he's their best SP. I gotta think that as of taday, he and Gibson are at the top of their 2014 SP chart.

  17. #37
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    No love for Deduno? There is a legit chance he can be a viable option for next year. At the very least it is worth the rest of year to attempt to figure it out.
    Deduno appears to have turned the corner in Gardy's mind. Nothing but praise and now he calls him "Sammy".... He'll probably always be considered a ticking time bomb to some degree, but I think he sticks for 2014.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    At least the options are starting to look more positive now. My one minor fear is that some of the guys we're looking at displacing will then go to other teams and play great, like Marquis from last year, Hardy, Gomez, etc. Pelfrey could do something like that, get fully recovered, pitch 200 innings and win about fifteen games for somebody. Escobar I don't think has that much upside as a hitter, but his fielding is excellent.

    I actually like the idea of stashing Hicks in AAA for a little longer. He was putting too much pressure on himself, needs to work on his batting against slightly easier competition for awhile. Same with his fielding, it looks like he needs reps on his footwork on his throws, get more accurate. An extra month in AAA might just give him a bit more polish.

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,353
    Like
    1,310
    Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    My one minor fear is that some of the guys we're looking at displacing will then go to other teams and play great, like Marquis from last year, Hardy, Gomez, etc. Pelfrey could do something like that, get fully recovered, pitch 200 innings and win about fifteen games for somebody.
    But Pelfrey is only signed for 2013 anyway so I guess that isn't a concern for me. I would expect him to be better in 2014 (and I think a lot of people were a bit puzzled by the 1 year contract w/o an option).

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    But Pelfrey is only signed for 2013 anyway so I guess that isn't a concern for me. I would expect him to be better in 2014 (and I think a lot of people were a bit puzzled by the 1 year contract w/o an option).
    I can't remember - do we know why there wasn't an option clause? Was it because the Twins didn't offer it, or because Pelfrey wouldn't accept it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.