Thread: Has the Ryan Doumit in RF experiment already ended

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Has the Ryan Doumit in RF experiment already ended

With today's lineup of Ben Revere in right field the question has to be asked has the Ryan Doumit experiment in RF already ended with his missed fly ball yesterday and Gardy's desire for defense you have to question it. I don't want to hear he needed a day off as it is the 2nd game of the year. I for one am happy if this is permanant even though I don't think it is as I think Doumit, Plouffe, Revere, and Parmelee will all get significant time in RF because the Twins have won with pitching and defense. They have always sacfrificed offense to be better defensively and putting Doumit in RF goes against that. So is this permanant or just a coincidence?

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I talked a little bit about this yesterday, wondering what the lineup would look like today. It doesn't mean anything, other than Gardy likes to have all his players get a start in games in the first week of the season. But it does answer another question - when Revere starts, will he consider moving Willingham to RF? Nope. And UGH.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Start Doumit in right with the team's heaviest contact pitcher on the mound, and Revere in right with the best strikeout pitcher on the mound. Makes sense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick I think that comment belongs in the gardy complaint forum. lol

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    With today's lineup of Ben Revere in right field the question has to be asked has the Ryan Doumit experiment in RF already ended...
    Hopefully. And when the Ben Revere in right field experiment ends, then we'll be on the right track.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere has that 1 career walk against Hunter. That's what we're looking for in today's game. A walk, stolen base, and a Casilla/Span/Carroll RBI base hit.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Start Doumit in right with the team's heaviest contact pitcher on the mound, and Revere in right with the best strikeout pitcher on the mound. Makes sense.
    Very good point, Nick.

And to answer the initial question, I'd be pretty disappointed with any move that was only given one regular season game to see how it went.

Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure Gardy is just setting up an early season rotation with this bunch. Just like Football Offensive coordinator scripting his first 10 or 20 plays. Gardy probably has it planned for a month or so getting looks and moving them around.

Just guessing but I think it's likely that Mauer will be at 1B tomorrow and Doumit will be behind the plate. Parmelee will be on the bench and Plouffe will be in RF.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the other point is that with Liriano starting the opposing team will have more RH batters so more balls would be at LF instead of RF
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    the other point is that with Liriano starting the opposing team will have more RH batters so more balls would be at LF instead of RF
    Willingham has pretty much been exclusively a LF during his time in the majors, the Twins gave him plenty of innings in the spring in RF and then decided to keep him in LF for this year. I'm guessing either 1. Gardy didn't think Willingham looked comfortable in RF or 2. Willingham requested to play LF

It's really not that big of a deal though, the entire outfield range increases a ton no matter where Revere is playing. Though. ideally you would have Revere in CF and Span in RF if both are out there.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get Rid Of Him

Gardenhire's the problem. Lacklustre play again today down big again. They're likely to be worse than last season if they keep him on. He's overstayed his welcome. The team looks like ghosts playing for him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's early, hard to get too excited about much yet, BUT, I used to complain about Delmon looking "lost" in LF, and Willingham looked a little lost tonight out there....Doumit should have made that catch yesterday.