Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Who will throw the first No-Hitter in 2012?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Buehrle

0 0%
  • Roy Halladay

0 0%
  • Ian Kennedy

1 10.00%
  • Clayton Kershaw

1 10.00%
  • Cliff Lee

1 10.00%
  • Jon Lester

0 0%
  • Tim Lincecum

1 10.00%
  • Francisco Liriano

2 20.00%
  • Justin Verlander

4 40.00%
  • C.J. Wilson

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No-Hitters?

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

No-Hitters?

​Who will throw the first No-Hitter in 2012?

Watching Ubaldo Jiminez throw 6.2 no-hit innings on April 7th makes me wonder... Who will throw a No-Hitter in 2012?

It can be easy to predict who may get a hit or even who may hit a home-run on any given day, but predicting No-Hitters is not as easy.
    That said, I feel Buehrle, Halladay, and Verlander all have a good chance at achieving their 3rd career No-Hitters.

Also,
    Who do you think has the stuff to nab their 1st No-Hitter?
    Last edited by Neinstein; 04-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Who will throw the first no hitter in 2012? Or who will throw their first no hitter in 2012?

In answer to the second question I'll go with Matt Cain or Felix Hernandez.
    Last edited by powrwrap; 04-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also thought about Matt Cain.
    Maybe I should have added him over Lester. (there are only 10 slots for these polls)
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Every season there's a no-hitter or two by guys that seem like they would never throw one - Liriano's last year was his first (and only) complete game in his career, wasn't it? I would think the first one this year will be by some guy that you wouldn't expect - Jason Hammel and Jon Niese both had no hitters into the seventh today. My guess is that the first no-hitter this year will be . . . Jason Vargas of Seattle. Just picking someone random...

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Barry Zito looked pretty good last night. You better add him to the poll... On second thought... please don't add him to the poll

Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    Who will throw the first no hitter in 2012? Or who will throw their first no hitter in 2012?

In answer to the second question I'll go with Matt Cain
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Matt Cain thought about it all right, well aware he had yet to allow a baserunner as he piled up outs. The Giants ace has never thrown a no-hitter at any level, so he pondered that this might just be his day to do it - and with all the hype of the home opener, no less. He nearly pulled it off, until the opposing pitcher spoiled a most impressive bid. James McDonald became the lone baserunner of the afternoon for Pittsburgh.

<holds finger and thumb one inch apart, Maxwell Smart voice: "Missed it by that much...">
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    <holds finger and thumb one inch apart, Maxwell Smart voice: "Missed it by that much...">
    haha, awesome!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about Phil Humber...

Not just a No-Hitter, but a Perfect Game!

I'm starting to question our coaches, there are just too many guys that we throw away that become very good. I think the last ace that we trained through our system was Johan. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah... that's another one who got away from the incredible Twins' talent evaluators...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Every season there's a no-hitter or two by guys that seem like they would never throw one - Liriano's last year was his first (and only) complete game in his career, wasn't it? I would think the first one this year will be by some guy that you wouldn't expect - Jason Hammel and Jon Niese both had no hitters into the seventh today. My guess is that the first no-hitter this year will be . . . Jason Vargas of Seattle. Just picking someone random...
    hey - I was sort of right - it was definitely a guy no one suspected would throw a no-hitter!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    My guess is Phil Humber for the White Sox...

HEY!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I'm starting to question our coaches, there are just too many guys that we throw away that become very good. I think the last ace that we trained through our system was Johan. Am I the only one who feels that way?
    You might be... who else has gotten away and gone from being pretty much nothing to being, well, better. (I can't even quite say for sure that Humber is good, although he was last year and is through 3 starts this year).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    You might be... who else has gotten away and gone from being pretty much nothing to being, well, better. (I can't even quite say for sure that Humber is good, although he was last year and is through 3 starts this year).
    Sergio Santos? Garrett Jones?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Sergio Santos? Garrett Jones?
    There are two names, but do we know that Santos mentioned pitching to the Twins?

And Garrett Jones is a tough one. Bad RF, 1B, DH... The Twins had Cuddyer, Morneau and Kubel, so I liked that they let him go to give him a chance. Each of those guys had five more years with the Twins.

I was thinking about that Loshe, Ortiz, Garza, Bartlett, Ramos, Hardy, Jones, Santos, Humber, and Young were all average or worse for us and then got better once they were traded or signed elsewhere. I know it's not universal but it looks like a pattern to me. We do seem to "miss" on a lot of draft picks or players never really reach their "potential" with us and there are probably several factors like scouting, training, and coaching. Overall in our system I just see a lot of consistencies and it just seems like we don't develop well. Again that might just be me, I'm not a professional.

You always lose players because there is no place for them at the moment and a better opportunity happens elsewhere. You must make a choice between one or another player and how they fit the current team (plus salary and service time et al). Think LeCroy or Ortiz. Restovich sent packing. Remember when Sorrento had to leave because there wasn't room, but then Hrbek went down. After toiling in an organization, a player must make their own choices...some go to Pittsburgh (Garrett Jones) or Kansas City (Humber at the time) because they may get a full-season chance to succeed or fail. Predicting just when a player may burst out is the toughest part of a GMs job. I mean, Grant Balfour allowed to walk. Pat Neshek cut thinking no one would claim him. Luke Hughes being waived.......

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats to Humber. He wont forget April 21, 2012... that is for sure. When he was exiled from the Twin's organization it seemed like a no brainer. Last year, his first with the ChiSox, I was surprised by his first half success. His 2nd half confirmed to me that his 1st half was an abberation. 2012: We miss you Humber, please come back... you can be the Twins Ace if you like... Please!!! In all seriousness, the only Twins cast off that I can remember that erks me at this moment is JJ Hardy. I was amped when we acquired him for Carlos Gomez. If not for that damn wrist injury, I think we would have traded Delmon instead of JJ (wishful thinking). Ugghh...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I was thinking about that Loshe, Ortiz, Garza, Bartlett, Ramos, Hardy, Jones, Santos, Humber, and Young were all average or worse for us and then got better once they were traded or signed elsewhere. I know it's not universal but it looks like a pattern to me. We do seem to "miss" on a lot of draft picks or players never really reach their "potential" with us and there are probably several factors like scouting, training, and coaching. Overall in our system I just see a lot of consistencies and it just seems like we don't develop well. Again that might just be me, I'm not a professional.
    ---OK a few things here:

1) With the names you're throwing out, you're stretching this out to almost a decade.
    2) It's not like you have the ability to keep unlimited players on the major league roster. Eventually things get crowded, you run out of options and you have to make decisions. Every team has to deal with that, not just the Twins.
    3) I would bet you could take any organization and come up with a list of guys who they let go or traded over the last 10 years who went on to do better things elsewhere. And for some organizations, they would be much more impressive lists than this one.
    4) In that time, there were also guys the Twins acquired who did better here than they did where they came from. Nathan is one obvious example.
    5) There are a couple of bad trades represented in this list for sure but every situation is different, and I don't think you can fault the Twins on every one of these. Take Lohse for example. He was given plenty of opportunities here, didn't do much with them, and had worn out his welcome. He really didn't hit his stride until he got to the Cardinals several years later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast