Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Any new updates on Bard/Chargois/Wimmers?

Any new updates on Bard/Chargois/Wimmers?

I hope they don't end up missing the whole year!

I know Wimmers is throwing off a mound. Thought I read earlier that game action could start before the season ends.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    My bet on Wimmers, he ends up in Ft. Meyers this year, then pitches in the AFL, then goes to AA next year to start, eventually ending up in the majors in 2014......but that's me being optimistic.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    My bet on Wimmers, he ends up in Ft. Meyers this year, then pitches in the AFL, then goes to AA next year to start, eventually ending up in the majors in 2014......but that's me being optimistic.....
    If that timeline works out, I would be happy with that.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth posted this about a week ago:

"JT Chargois and Luke Bard are on throwing programs, but they're not close yet."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's extremely optimistic given that he's dealt with Steve Blass disease and Tommy John. I think optimistic is 2015 at the soonest... That's with him playing in AA and doing well but being shut down for the last third of the season. He starts 2015 in AAA and gets a callup if he pitches well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I admit I was being optimistic with that one......I do think 2015 is more likely.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I wonder if the Twins will end up moving Wimmers to a relief role when he comes back. He's only pitched 45ish innings in the last 3 years combined. How long would it take to build his arm back up to a starting role? I imagine several years. He is already 24. A relief role could put him on track for a late 2014 call up. He could always try to transition back to a starting role during the 2014-2015 offseason after his arm has gotten a season of use.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    That's extremely optimistic given that he's dealt with Steve Blass disease and Tommy John. I think optimistic is 2015 at the soonest... That's with him playing in AA and doing well but being shut down for the last third of the season. He starts 2015 in AAA and gets a callup if he pitches well.
    I think they were related. Hurt his arm. Couldn't locate. Tried to pitch through it. Hurt it worse. Had surgery.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chatted with Wimmers a couple days ago. Said he's started throwing simulated games now. He's going to do a 4-5 of those and then get into GCL games for awhile.

No new updates on Bard or Chargois.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    It's likely this has been covered in the past few months leading up to the draft so feel free to point me in that direction if so. My question is as to why the Twins 2012 draft strategy was to acquire relief pitchers and then try and convert them to starters. Is this part of a "we want low mileage arms" type of philosophy? Or did the Twins just really like the arms that these guys had and thought they projected very well as starters?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    It's likely this has been covered in the past few months leading up to the draft so feel free to point me in that direction if so. My question is as to why the Twins 2012 draft strategy was to acquire relief pitchers and then try and convert them to starters. Is this part of a "we want low mileage arms" type of philosophy? Or did the Twins just really like the arms that these guys had and thought they projected very well as starters?
    My guess was this:

1) They threw hard and racked up Ks.
    2) They had low mileage.
    3) Most had 2 good pitches with a feel for a 3rd.
    4) They all have a fairly high floor of hard throwing reliever.
    5) They are all much closer to the majors.

You can debate the merits of whether it was a good strategy or not, but it's clear the Twins had a plan. Worst case, a couple of those guys end up being shut down relievers for the next wave.