Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Who Must Be Added This Fall

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    383
    Like
    2
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

    Who Must Be Added This Fall

    Can any of our experts please answer - who are some players who will need to be added to the 40-man roster this off-season? Also, as far as some of our prizes - when will they need to be added?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,219
    Like
    15
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Jeremy or Seth would be the expert. I can point you to Jeremy's work.

    http://twinsdaily.com/1272-minnesota-twins-roster-payroll-2013.html


    I think if you look at the rule 5 column you will see some players with the 2013 designation. If I understand Jeremy's work correctly, the players with the 2013 need to be added this winter or be eligible for the rule 5. That would include guys like Angel Morales and Logan Darnell.

    There are also some purple 40 man add highlights on guys like Alex Wimmers, Jorge Polanco and Max Kepler. I thought Polanco and Sano were the same international year but they have different rule 5 designations.

    Jeremy jump in and correct me.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 06-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    383
    Like
    2
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Polanco and Sano were definately added at the same time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    18
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I thought Polanco and Sano were the same international year but they have different rule 5 designations.
    This was discussed earlier this year. Though Kepler, Polanco, and Sano all signed the same year, there was a hold up for some reason before Sano signed his contract (tax reasons maybe?) and Sano signed after Short Season ball had ended, this meant that season didn't count against his Rule 5 clock. So Sano won't have to be added until winter of 2014.

  5. #5
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Sano signed after the minor league season was over, so he gets an extra year.

    The guys in purple were guys I thought needed to be added, but I wouldn't necessarily say it still reflects how I feel. I recently took Nate Roberts off the list.

    Salcedo would be a question mark as well. And some other guys thay have been eligible before would be under consideration as well.

    Great discussion topic... I'll switch things up based on what people think here.

  6. #6
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Anybody that says "Elig" has been previously eligible.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    583
    Like
    3
    Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Would you be interested in posting the roster/payroll tables in a google doc spreadsheet? Because of my work computer and mobile phone, i struggle reading that sheet.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    846
    Like
    9
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Some names they might consider:
    2B/SS James Beresford
    3B Deibinson Romero
    SP Andrew Albers
    SP Logan Darnell
    OF Danny Ortiz
    RP AJ Achter
    RP Matt Hauser
    SP Alex Wimmers
    1B Kenny Vargas
    OF Nate Roberts
    P Adrian Salcedo
    RP Ryan O'Rourke
    2B/SS Jorge Polanco
    OF Max Kepler

    I think Albers will make it on the 40-man yet this year for a look. Looking at who Jeremy has highlighted in purple, I'd agree with Vargas and Kepler. The rest I'd question, with Polanco being the most likely.
    Last edited by jay; 06-27-2013 at 10:00 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd hope Salcedo doesn't take up a 40-man spot. What about Lester Oliveros though? I believe if a player is out an entire year with an injury the team doesn't lose an option year but I don't know that they push back the Rule V requirements.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,400
    Like
    161
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I could see Darnell and Romero as possibilities as well. In Darnell's case, pitching at AAA, sometime would take him in the Rule 5 since he's practically ML ready. I think if he continues what he did in AA, the Twins are going to protect him.

    Romero is a bit different. He was really good in rookie ball and then had a few bad years of injury/ineffectiveness. He seems healthy and is producing nicely in AAA. I could see him up next year with the Twins essentially trying to audition him for a year to build value so he can be traded when Sano is ready. I could also see them choosing to not protect him all. I think he's a minor league FA, and I also think someone would consider grabbing him as he's done pretty well at AAA, so it isn't as if he's going to be a roster liability in 2014. But given he's sandwiched between Plouffe and Sano, I'm not sure what the Twins will do with him.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Some names they might consider:
    2B/SS James Beresford
    3B Deibinson Romero
    SP Andrew Albers
    SP Logan Darnell
    OF Danny Ortiz
    RP AJ Achter
    RP Matt Hauser
    SP Alex Wimmers
    1B Kenny Vargas
    OF Nate Roberts
    P Adrian Salcedo
    RP Ryan O'Rourke
    2B/SS Jorge Polanco
    OF Max Kepler

    I think Albers will make it on the 40-man yet this year for a look. Looking at who Jeremy has highlighted in purple, I'd agree with Vargas and Kepler. The rest I'd question, with Polanco being the most likely.
    I think Vargas, Kepler, Darnell and Polanco would be added for sure. Beresford and Ortiz depending on how much room they have. I'm not sure how many spots they'll have.

    Let's see. Twins currently have 42 men on the 40 man roster. Next year Hermsen, Pelfrey, Wood, Butera, Morneau, Ramirez and Thomas can all be easily removed, plus a few more if needed. Shouldn't have too much trouble finding room for the guys they want to keep.

  12. #12
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Would you be interested in posting the roster/payroll tables in a google doc spreadsheet? Because of my work computer and mobile phone, i struggle reading that sheet.

    Try this. I'm not going to update it very often. (It takes way too long to format... and it still isn't pretty with the column widths needing to be different sizes.)

  13. #13
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Oliveros isn't on the 40-man currently. He's already eligible for the Rule 5 draft, so being injured doesn't change that. I'm not sure if he's credited with a year of minor league service time - I'd assume he is - but that would give him enough to be a six-year free-agent.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 06-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.

  14. #14
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Beresford should be a guy that is strongly considered. Someone that could be a defensive-replacement/pinch-runner could fill the 25th spot on a major-league roster.

    If you're halfway capable and left-handed, you should probably be added (Albers, Darnell).

    Polanco and Kepler are no-brainers, based on how highly-rated they are as prospects.

    I'd add Wimmers. A team could take him and DL him and let him rehab before they have to really make a decision. That time wouldn't count towards the year, but he's a worthwhile arm.

    Vargas would appear to be a must-add, but really I doubt he'd be taken (and if he is, would stick). He's not going to be a starting 1B. He can't play anywhere else. So he's a switch-hitting DH-like body? Could any team afford to stash him for a year? Much better 1B/OF/DH types go un-added each year.

    Romero may be added. He's been on (and off) before. I could see someone taking a chance on him, but I doubt he'd stick either.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 06-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    A few more that might get added depending on the rest of this year:
    Candido Pimentel
    Angel Morales
    Manuel Soliman
    Tom Stuifbergen


    I don't really think either Polanco or Kepler need to be protected this year from the major league portion of the draft, assuming of course neither make it to Fort Meyers until late this year. I have a hard time believing a team would take a player from low A ball and carry him on the MLB 25 man for a full season. However if they keep hitting next season they will for sure have to go on the 40 man.

    I do believe the Twins will need to protect Achter and Vargas this year. I think depending on how the rest of this season plays out Morales, Romero, Darnell, Albers, Stuifbergen, O'Rourke and Hauser all could need protecting.

    In addition Meyer, Rosario, Sano and Zach Jones are all likely to need a 40 man spot at some point during next season.

    The list for November 2014 includes Meyer, Rosario, Sano, Corey WIlliams, Cole Johnson, Tyler Jones, Niko Goodrum, Aderlin Mejia, Matt Summers, JD Williams, Brett Lee, Madison Boer, Matt Koch, AJ Pettersen, Levi Michael, Jason WHeeler and Matt Tomshaw. Now clearly not all of those players will have to be added but they are the ones I think of the best chances of being added.

    November 2015 includes Zach Jones, Adam Walker, Mason Melotakis, DJ Baxendale, Tyler Duffey, Taylor Rogers, Travis Harrison, Hudson Boyd, Javier Pimentel. Players that will need to be added from 2016 on include Byron Buxton, Cole Stewart, Amaurys Minier and Jose Berrios.

    Players are listed when they will become rule 5 eligilbe however, many players will probably be added before required because they are ready to contribute, see Meyer, Sano, Rosario, et al. Also I didn't list many players past 2014 because it is hard to know who will pan out when the players are so far away. You could literally list almost every player in the DSL, GCL and Elizabethton at this point and make a case for inclusion so I just listed the big names.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I don't really think either Polanco or Kepler need to be protected this year from the major league portion of the draft, assuming of course neither make it to Fort Meyers until late this year. I have a hard time believing a team would take a player from low A ball and carry him on the MLB 25 man for a full season. However if they keep hitting next season they will for sure have to go on the 40 man.
    I'd disagree with that. Both of those guys have enough upside that a team like Houston, Miami or Seattle could get away with stashing them on their ML roster for a year (like we did w/Santana).

  17. #17
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,917
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    My guess as of today: Vargas, Wimmers, Polanco and Kepler added. Next would probably be Achter, then Darnell, if they want.

    I think Albers will get added sometime during this season, maybe September, but he'll likely be removed following the season to clear space.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'd disagree with that. Both of those guys have enough upside that a team like Houston, Miami or Seattle could get away with stashing them on their ML roster for a year (like we did w/Santana).
    In the last 5 years there have been 9 position players drafted from AA and none played in the majors the following year. There have been 2 position players drafted from A ball. One was returned. Everth Cabrera stuck with the Padres for the whole season as their starting SS (he subsequently has been terrible until resurfacing again this year).

    So there you have it. One player drafted below AAA has stuck. I don't think it's very likely that we have to worry about Polanco or Kepler. Especially if they don't make it to Fort Meyers this year.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    In the last 5 years there have been 9 position players drafted from AA and none played in the majors the following year. There have been 2 position players drafted from A ball. One was returned. Everth Cabrera stuck with the Padres for the whole season as their starting SS (he subsequently has been terrible until resurfacing again this year).

    So there you have it. One player drafted below AAA has stuck. I don't think it's very likely that we have to worry about Polanco or Kepler. Especially if they don't make it to Fort Meyers this year.
    But it's not players of Polanco and Kepler's abilities that are being exposed to the rule v draft.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    But it's not players of Polanco and Kepler's abilities that are being exposed to the rule v draft.
    What evidence to support that do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.