Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Can Glen Perkins sneak in as an All-Star closer?

Can Glen Perkins sneak in as an All-Star closer?

The way I see it is this:

- Joe Nathan, Mariano Rivera and Jim Johnson are all locks.
    - Addison Reed will probably get in because there's nobody on the Sox that's close to making the team. (Maybe Sale, but his 5-6 record doesn't bode well for him.)
    - A three-way battle between Grant Balfour, Casey Janssen and Perkins should determine the final reliever spot.

I elaborated more at this link, but what do you guys think?

Y! SPORTS

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schad View Post
    The way I see it is this:

- Joe Nathan, Mariano Rivera and Jim Johnson are all locks.
    - Addison Reed will probably get in because there's nobody on the Sox that's close to making the team. (Maybe Sale, but his 5-6 record doesn't bode well for him.)
    - A three-way battle between Grant Balfour, Casey Janssen and Perkins should determine the final reliever spot.

I elaborated more at this link, but what do you guys think?

Y! SPORTS
    I'd guess no. As it appears Mauer will be voted in, there will be little interest in adding another Twin.

I hope Jim Johnson isn't a lock.Besides saves he's not having an all-star type season.

If he's having another strong season than next season at Target Field might be more likely for Perkins.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    I don't think Jim Johnson could even crack my top 40 relievers at this point.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins at least has a shot, but there are always a few really good pitchers that don't make the team.
    I bent my wookie...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    I'm thinking Perk does make it. Leyland is making the calls, I bet he gives Perkins some love and he makes the team. Statistically he's easily in the top 5 of closers in the AL.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call Johnson a lock at all either. The Orioles will have at least Chris Davis representing already. I wouldn't automatically count Addison Reed, but I think it'll be either him or our old friend Jesse Crain to represent the Pale Hoses. Aaron Crow and David Robertson both made it in 2011, so set-up guys can't be ruled out.

If 5 is the number of RPs, I'd see Rivera, Nathan, and Reed/Crain with 2 more spots. Perkins would be a great choice for one of those two and would add a much-needed lefty.

Possibly. I can see him maybe getting on the Final 5 fan vote ballot, which would ultimately end up being a Yankee

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    It's not a lock that only 5 closers go either. The starters in the AL are not overly impressive this year.

Assuming the choice comes down to Jim Lelaynd, I wonder if any gamesmanship could be at play. He surely wouldn't slight a guy a spot simply because he plays for a rival, but the Tigers are in desperate need of a closer. If the Tigers think there is even a chance that they will later persue Perkins, would they want to let Terry Ryan negotiate with the ammo that Lelaynd himself already labled Perkins as a top closer in the league and chose him over closers X, Y and Z?
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-27-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is he an All Star? In my mind, yes. But as you point out, the numbers game often dictates that there are snubs. He could be if they don't want the Twins to have two.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Assuming the choice comes down to Jim Lelaynd, I wonder if any gamesmanship could be at play. He surely wouldn't slight a guy a spot simply because he plays for a rival, but the Tigers are in desperate need of a closer. If the Tigers think there is even a chance that they will later persue Perkins, would they want to let Terry Ryan negotiate with the ammo that Lelaynd himself already labled Perkins as a top closer in the league and chose him over closers X, Y and Z?
    Interesting point and the need is currenlty there, but:
    1 - Intra-division trades are rare enough to start with.
    2 - The Tigers system is incredibly bare (I'd want Castellanos, and that's about it).
    3 - Rondon will be up soon for a shot to close.
    4 - Leyland wants home advantage in the WS that he expects to be in, so he's taking talent to the ASG.

So, I think it's a non-issue.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if he will, but bottom line is he should. There are 12 full time closers in the AL (12 have more than 16 saves, no one else has more than 5. Here is where he ranks amongst AL closers in a variety of categories:
    ERA:6
    WHIP:2
    K/9:2
    K/BB:1
    That seems like an All Star to me.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perkins and Balfour definitely deserve it but that means little or nothing.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Statistically he's easily in the top 5 of closers in the AL.
    I'm having a hard time making an argument that Perkins isn't the best reliever in baseball right now.

This shouldn't even be a question. Who is better than Perkins right now? The dude is walking 2 per 9, striking out over 12 per 9, and gives up a little more than one hit every other inning.

Jim Johnson, my ass. Pbbbbbtttttt.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Perkins deserves to be an All-Star. I don't think he will be on the initial roster.

But after some of the starters pitch on Sunday, I think he could be added in the days leading up to the All-Star Game.