Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Forgotten Twin? Bernardo Brito

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I distinctly remember forgetting him. It's like it was yesterday. Because it was.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    I'll always remember Brito, he was/is my primary pinch hitter on the first Ken Griffey Jr. baseball game on the SNES.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember Brito. He was in the Twins minor league system, seemingly forever. He always put up great numbers, especially power numbers and was never promoted. I always wondered why, until I realized that he really couldn't hit major league pitching. Oh, if you would leave him out there everyday, he would hit some home runs but his average would be worse than Adam Dunn's, there would be fewer home runs than Dunn and Brito might strike out more. Also, there was no way that Tom Kelly was going to have a player like that taking up space on his team.

one of the great baseball names, for sure.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your articles almost always make me laugh out loud at least once. Thank you.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article -- thanks for posting it.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ummm, Google Translate says that El Pupo means "Longfin". Not sure why that isn't included.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    If I remember right, Brito held some kind of career HR record at some point. Maybe the PCL career leader in HR?

He was the Anthony Slama of the early 1990's. People who knew of him couldn't understand why this team wouldn't call up such a prolific minor league slugger.

Edit: I found this article, at the time he was the active minor league career HR leader.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4958,7335784

And there totally was a Free Brito movement. Led by Brito.

Further Edit: I'm such a nerd. The article also dropped the names of Scott Stahoviak, Rich Becker, Eddie Guardado, Denny Hocking, Pat Meares, Dave Stevens, Marty Cordova and Scott Ullger and that put a smile on my face. Why did reading about those guys give me so much joy when watching most of them acutally play baseball usually gave me the opposite feeling.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-27-2013 at 09:26 AM.

I have a ball signed by Bernardo. Can't understand why he never got a real shot. I guess Tom Kelly liked David McCarty even more then Bernardo......or Rich Becker or J.T Bruett. Somehow if Kelly decided you weren't any good or you got on his bad side, you never got a shot.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When we get to December 4, I'll post a bio of him.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The article also dropped the names of Scott Stahoviak, Rich Becker, Eddie Guardado, Denny Hocking, Pat Meares, Dave Stevens, Marty Cordova and Scott Ullger and that put a smile on my face. Why did reading about those guys give me so much joy when watching most of them acutally play baseball usually gave me the opposite feeling.
    I saw Stahoviak hit a long homerun into the upper deck of Yankee Stadium. The Twins were pounding the Yankees and Gooden. Then the rain came and it didn't stop. They didn't have five innings in yet, so none of it counted. My friend and his dad had to use our rain checks because that was the last Yankees home game while I was home (in CT) on leave.

That day always seemed to capture the essense of that Twins era for me.

Brito was a masher here in Salt Lake for those Buzz teams of the mid-90s. My favorite Bernardo Brito moment was when he was called out on a grand-slam HR for passing a teammate on the basepath.

Junior Member Rookie Scott Povolny's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Bernardo Brito broken bat is stowed under my bed in case anybody in this tough White Bear Lake neighborhood wants to boogie. Long before it was a personal weapon of defense, ~19 years ago, it was kindly gifted to a pudgy 9-year-old at Twins Spring Training (2/24/1994) (me, Pops, Brother).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Great article -- thanks for posting it.
    Thanks! I really enjoy hearing everyone's Brito stories/memories. I might have to "research" a few more guys.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!