Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Sano and Buxton will represent Twins at Futures Game

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    I assume you mean July 14 not June 14.

Pretty much a given that those two would represent the organization in the Futures Game.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I woudln't say that at all... The Twins typically have not had a player in their first full season play in the game. Sano didn't last year. Gibson didn't in 2010. it's not a formal thing, but it has been pretty typical in the past. But, when it comes to star-power, this is a nice group.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grats to them both! I'll definatly have to watch the game this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    J.J. Cooper over at BA did a Futures Game Roster Chat and he gave the Twins A LOT of love:

• JJ, if we said in 5 years, the best hitter and pitcher in baseball will be participating in this years futures game, who would you be betting on? For fun, you can bet on more than 1 at each position...

J.J. Cooper: If you follow me on Twitter (@jjcoop36) I think you would be stunned if I answered anyone other than Byron Buxton for the hitter. As far as pitcher, I’d go with Archie Bradley.

• Who are you most excited to see play?

J.J. Cooper: Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano. Buxton because he seems to something amazing about every other game he plays. Sano because I expect his batting practice may cause problems for jets in the landing pattern at nearby LaGuardia.

• Is Puerto Rico considered part of the US or World?Eddie Rosario any consideration to be a second baseman at the futures game?

J.J. Cooper: For Futures Game purposes it’s part of the World Team, which makes sense when you consider that Puerto Rico fields its own team in the World Baseball Classic. Rosario would have been a very good fit at second base, but I’m glad he’s not there. Nothing against Rosario, but only two Twins can go and I can’t wait to see Buxton and Sano.

• J.J., big fan of your work. I know this may be a touchy subject, but I kind of am weary of the comps to Buxton. Everyone that I read has him compared to McCutchen, B.J. Upton, Justin Upton, or Matt Kemp. Of course, I could be wrong and those are the most apt comparisons for him, but I can't help but think something is a little off there. Thanks for the chat J.J.

J.J. Cooper: Michael, our feature on Buxton will be going up at Baseball America tomorrow. We don’t comp him to any of those guys, but we do ask scouts to compare him to Mike Trout, since Trout was the last Cedar Rapids outfielder to play similarly to this. I can see McCutchen comps and I’ve heard that, but as far as his style of play, neither Upton fits, as Buxton’s approach is WAY more advanced at the plate at a similar age.

• What are the latest reports on defense for Maikel Franco and Miguel Sano? Who's more likely to stick at 3B?

J.J. Cooper: I’ve gotten pretty decent reports on Sano sticking at third base from scouts who’ve seen him this year. I think he’s more likely to play third base for a couple of years in the big leagues than not.

If you can't tell J.J. Cooper sort of likes Buxton.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
    JJ Cooper was at a Cedar Rapids game and tweeted "Just watched Buxton play. I need a cigarette and I don't smoke."

So yes, he is a little bit of a fan.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I will be at the Twins games @ Yankee Stadium that Fri and Sat and the futures game on that Sunday. I was thinking about getting tix behind the plate, but with Buxton roving CF I might just have to get CF seats to see him up close and in person for more than just a couple at bats.

Anyone else going?

I just got tickets, section 108. Finally being a Twins fan on the East Coast pays off!

Yea, I'm in Sec. 113 for the futures game. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I woudln't say that at all... The Twins typically have not had a player in their first full season play in the game. Sano didn't last year. Gibson didn't in 2010. it's not a formal thing, but it has been pretty typical in the past. But, when it comes to star-power, this is a nice group.
    They also haven't a first year player like Byron Buxton. He's been so great this year, that to me it seemed obvious he was going to be selected.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What channel will this be on?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    From this ESPN Insider article: Breaking down Futures Game rosters - ESPN

Keith Law didn't talk much about the specifics on all the players, only to say Buxton and Sano were obvious choices.

At the end he did drop this little nugget though...

Minnesota's Max Kepler probably makes this game next year as the first German-born participant; he's played only five games this year, all in the past week, after missing two-plus months with an elbow injury; the Twins also have two top-10 prospects in Buxton and Miguel Sano, both of whom belong here over Kepler on merit. They probably also kept Puerto Rican second baseman Eddie Rosario off the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    This article will make you very happy, as Passan lists his top 25 prospects in the Future's Game:

Y! SPORTS

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    From this ESPN Insider article: Breaking down Futures Game rosters - ESPN

Keith Law didn't talk much about the specifics on all the players, only to say Buxton and Sano were obvious choices.

At the end he did drop this little nugget though...

Minnesota's Max Kepler probably makes this game next year as the first German-born participant; he's played only five games this year, all in the past week, after missing two-plus months with an elbow injury; the Twins also have two top-10 prospects in Buxton and Miguel Sano, both of whom belong here over Kepler on merit. They probably also kept Puerto Rican second baseman Eddie Rosario off the roster.
    And, next year's game will be here, so I believe the Twins can have a third player in the game. Kepler, Berrios and Buxton again, perhaps?
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 06-29-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    And, next year's game will be here, so I believe the Twins can have a third player in the game. Kepler, Berrios and Buxton again, perhaps?
    Or Kohl Stewart?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Don't make any reservations for Buxton. A year from now he could be an All-Star in MLB. I am not saying that will happen by any measure, but the Twins should have an OF opening come next season. Stranger things have happened.
    We will rise from the killing floor... like a Matador.