Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami Kryptonite?

Miami Kryptonite?

The Marlins lose to everyone this year...except the Twins. Is it because of some kind of Twins kryptonite they've found on us? It's not because "the Twins stink" because they don't. This is a team that has beaten clubs that are much better than the Marlins so what is about Miami? I went back and looked and it seems like Giancarlo Stanton and Rob Brantly bothed played notable roles in the Twins defeat on April 23 and in last nights defeat. Are Brantly and Stanton the Twins kryptonite? or do the Marlins simply posses something like a piece of the last ball to strike out a Washington Senator before the team moved to MN?

More importantly what can we learn from Brantly and Stanton? is it a pitching style that they benefit from?

it might be an NL East thing because the Twins are only 4-10 against that division this year

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or the Twins are 1-2 against them on the season....
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FanFromAffar View Post
    It's not because "the Twins stink" because they don't.
    Are you sure about that?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Gleeman noted in his blog on Tuesday that the Twins basically stink against everyone other than the White Sox and Brewers. So, it may not be just a Marlins thing.

Also, was it just me or were the Miami pitchers benefitting from an extended strike zone yesterday? Disclaimer: I rarely look to blame the umps, especially those behind the plate because it is truly a difficult job.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I'd suggest it had something to do with the lineup the Twins put out, and the fact they faced a good pitcher......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    1. SSS
    2. Jose Fernandez is really good
    3. Mike Pelfrey is really bad.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    It might be that

1) This is major league baseball, not the NFL. There are no prohibitive favorites in any one game, or series. Ever. The Miami Marlins will win 50 or more games this year.

2) These are the 2013 Minnesota Twins, not the 1927 Yankees.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm gonna go with small sample size. It's a Multi purpose explanation that really works in a lot of cases.

For example:

Mayor: "Can someone explain what is going on... This was our city's 2nd rogue Kangaroo attack on one of our citizens in the past 5 Days... Do we have a Kangaroo problem"?

Zookeeper: "There is no Problem... We are talking a very small sample size here".

Restaurant Owner: "Hey Hey... Look at this... 2nd day on the menu and we just sold our first order of Steamed Rat... Let's set those traps nightly to make sure we don't run out of supply".

Head Chef: Umm... This would be a good time to consider sample size".

Girls I dated back when I used to Date: "Ohh Riverbrian... You are the best. I've never been with anyone like you"

Riverbrian: Yeah I know
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 06-26-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverslugger View Post
    Aaron Gleeman noted in his blog on Tuesday that the Twins basically stink against everyone other than the White Sox and Brewers. So, it may not be just a Marlins thing.
    That seems a bit harsh, they're 8-9 against Bal, Boston and Texas (with a positive run differential). That's not too bad. 20-20 outside the AL central. 33-34 against every team except KC.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everybody plays just about everybody. The Twins were lucky to face the Angels when they were playing terrible. They were not lucky to play Toronto when they weren't playing well. Miami is playing better now and the Twins faced their best pitcher twice now.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Gleeman never lets actual numbers get in the way of an opinion.
    He said this; Twins are 10-2 against the White Sox and Brewers, 24-38 against the other teams. Actual, true statemant of fact!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I think it's because this team has decided against carrying 3 catchers. It's the downfall of so many great clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    He said this; Twins are 10-2 against the White Sox and Brewers, 24-38 against the other teams. Actual, true statemant of fact!
    But, like gunnarthor said they are 8-9 against three playoff contending teams. I just think if you're saying the Twins have dominated two bad teams than nothing wrong with mentioning they've done okay against three good teams.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    But, like gunnarthor said they are 8-9 against three playoff contending teams. I just think if you're saying the Twins have dominated two bad teams than nothing wrong with mentioning they've done okay against three good teams.
    Didn't say there was. You made it sound like AG was making stuff up to suit his point, what he said was true nothing more on my part.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    He was cherry picking numbers. The counter is that you can do that a variety of ways to prove almost any point that you want to. Not exactly a shock Gleeman would do that.
    A little work by Gleeman, with a slightly broader set of data would make a slightly more valid point.

Twins record vs. teams w/ a winning record: 16-26
    Twins record vs. teams w/ a losing record: 18-14

The Twins are 1-5 this year against KC. Their next 4 games are with the Royals, followed by 14 straight games in 14 days with teams with winning records from the Eastern Division.

Let's revisit how the Twins are doing after they run this next gauntlet of 18 games going into the Break.

Senior Member All-Star
    What happened to drjim's post that read:

He was cherry picking numbers. The counter is that you can do that a variety of ways to prove almost any point that you want to. Not exactly a shock Gleeman would do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Didn't say there was. You made it sound like AG was making stuff up to suit his point, what he said was true nothing more on my part.
    I think the implication was that he seemed to be suggesting that the Twins are only as good as they are b/c they played the White Sox and Brewers and couldn't beat better teams. Reading his actual post at his cite, I think he was more celebrating that the Twins were beating up on those two teams then anything else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    What happened to drjim's post that read:
    I didn't do anything to it...Too unfair to Gleeman?
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I didn't do anything to it...Too unfair to Gleeman?
    I guess. I suppose you'll be banned now. Nice knowing you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast