Thread: Article: New swing helps Twins' Clete Thomas contribute

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: New swing helps Twins' Clete Thomas contribute

@OverTheBaggy

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As of today, his 730 OPS is close to his career average, though maybe he's platooning less now? He sure looks a lot better. I honestly wonder if the Twins might stick with him when Hicks comes back, and let Hicks learn to dominate AAA.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    As of today, his 730 OPS is close to his career average, though maybe he's platooning less now? He sure looks a lot better. I honestly wonder if the Twins might stick with him when Hicks comes back, and let Hicks learn to dominate AAA.
    That very script has written itself since Hicks went on the shelf and I surmised as such. The Twins desperately needed an alternative in CF, for the short-term at least, they now have one- plus they have the added benefit of a guy who actually has shown any ability whatsoever to bat lead off for the Twins.

It would make perfect sense that now is the time not to rush Hicksie's return. The issue can be revisited some time after the All Star break if Thomas just maintains something close to his current production level.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did say that people would be pleasantly surprised by Thomas if for no other reason then expectation were garnered from the worst of the smallest of sample sizes last season.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as Thomas is productive, let Hicks regain his hitting stroke in Rochester.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    re: Hicks:
    a. he is improving
    b. he is saving runs with his glove.
    c. last but not least. Everyone is saying that Hicks' season with the bat has been horrible; and with an excellent reason. But chew this: .275/.348/.550 as a RH hitter. He has no business batting left handed. I would not mind him spend a couple weeks in AAA and batting exclusively right handed (so he gets a good look at righties) and then come up. His issues from the left side are not new. About time the Twins do something...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would advocate playing Clete Thomas over Aaron Hicks.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 136 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Clete's real competition is Ramirez. Does he speak Spanish? As a LH hitter who can pass in CF, Clete is the better option as a fourth OF.

Optioning Hicks makes sense from a player control perspective and actually might be better for his development. I respect your opinion Thry, but to ask a guy to stop switch hitting after six years is pretty drastic. Hicks' history is to struggle at a new level, particularly lefty, and then catch up. He's struggled for sure in the major leagues, but if his history holds, he will catch up from the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would advocate playing Clete Thomas over Aaron Hicks.
    It's not necessarily that Clete should play over Hicks but rather what is best for Hicks' development.

Honestly, I don't know if time at AAA will be beneficial or not but I have seen Hicks improving his approach at the plate since April. If it is decided he will remain with the Twins after this DL stint I am okay with that especially for the his defense in center.

CF backup is what is scareing me more. I shudder to think Parmalee/Escobar in CF. I see Hicks backup here with Thomas playing against right-handers. Haven't heard much Rameriez lately speaking of which....

Ramirez is still dealing with concussion symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJesusBuxton View Post
    Ramirez is still dealing with concussion symptoms.
    Yeah, thats is the last I heard. He was going to rehab in Fort Myers and that was holding up Buxton's promotion. Now even that is on hold (Ramirez)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thomas is a marginal upgrade over Hicks offensively at this time. But Hicks is much better in the field and is developing into a better player than Thomas will ever be. This year is supposed to be about getting ready for next year. I think Hicks will learn to play in the majors more quickly by playing in the majors now. So Thomas should go down when Hicks is ready. But it's nice to know Thomas a decent replacement in case Hicks' hammy injury recurs.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As BJB said well, it has nothing to do with Thomas vs Hicks, it should be whatever is best for the long-term future of Hicks. I don't think he'll be down long. I personally would like to see it be 3 weeks after the rehab stint to keep him an extra year... but they probably will let him rehab and get him back.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Me too.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I interrupt this Hicks-fest to thank Parker for another edifying pictorial explanation of what's going on with a player.

/ edit - I think of an open stance as what a pull hitter adopts to maximize home run power. With 1 HR so far this season in the majors, it's too soon to say much, but at Rochester his power numbers were actually up, assuming he was using this swing down there too. I guess I'm wrong to think closing the stance means consciously giving up some portion of his power.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-26-2013 at 09:40 PM.