Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is There A Market For Morneau?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boy, this is a tough one, and after reading through the posts I still find myself a bit torn. It's always hard to hold the past and the future together. Second only to Mauer he has been the most productive and most beloved member of the franchise for years, up until the point of his injury problems. That counts for something, both with the fans and in the clubhouse. That said, he will never be the player he once was. I suspected that would be the case last year when he started slowly, and now I think it has been proven true.

Is there a market? I don't know - but if you can actually get somebody who may be worth something down the road I think you have to take it. By that, I mean somebody who may actually contribute - not minor league spare parts. If, as I suspect, that is not realistic, then I agree you let him finish out the year, you start sitting him more and have him DHing to make room for more playing time for Parmelee, and then at the end of the year you let him decide if he wants to come back for a greatly reduced contract or test the FA waters. I don't know if he can be a teacher, but if so I would offer him a coaching position as well. He would by no means be the first player whose career was cut short by injury and found a new way to contribute, mentoring younger players.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I too had thought he'd return to form when he could work out regularly and get his strength and vision back. But he hasn't. And with each passing day, I lose a little faith that he ever will. I am not without hope, however, that he can somehow find himself again. Until he does, it makes no sense to even try to trade him. Let him play out his contract and hope for the best. If he shows something in July or August, he might still fetch a prospect. If not, it was nice rooting for him.
    Same here, although I'll hold out a modicum of hope that someone is interested in parting with a B- or even C+ prospect in exchange for a package of Mournsy, enough cash to cover his W2, and a C- prospect, of which we have oodles.

We don't need to offload him to cut costs, or to make room for Parmelee and Collabello for three months during a .500 season, or to land a fringy C- prospect. He's worth more to the Twins for the remainder of the season than he is on a standalone basis to any other team, I'm afraid.

So, if we can't "package" him, let's keep him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yes. Not sure Boston would fork that much over...
    Yeah, I'd take Xander Bogaerts for Perkins in a Boston nanosecond!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Yeah, I'd take Xander Bogaerts for Perkins in a Boston nanosecond!
    Wait until next July when the NYY have had to endure a 1/2 season of no Mariano Rivera, they will be screaming for bullpen help and be ripe for the plucking.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    There's no one pushing Morneau, so why trade him? I wonder if management would consider moving Arcia to 1B in the future? He's not a very good outfielder.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    There's no one pushing Morneau, so why trade him? I wonder if management would consider moving Arcia to 1B in the future? He's not a very good outfielder.
    Arcia agreed with you--his RF play was "below ML Standard". People are worried about replacing Morneau--move Arcia to 1B!

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    In order for the Twins to get a draft pick, they would have to tender a qualifying offer ($13M for one year). As has been said, there is no way that Morneau would decline a qualifying offer coming off this year. So.....there will be no draft pick for Morneau. .
    Wow, didn't realize his tender was that high. My bad.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Tex is now out for the year would Morneau fit in with the Yankees? He'd likely hit some homeruns in that park.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Tex is now out for the year would Morneau fit in with the Yankees? He'd likely hit some homeruns in that park.
    He has hit HRs in the past vs NY especially at Yankee stadium. I would not be surprised they take Morneau salary and all, but I believe that NYY will believe they are doing the Twins a favor and will exchange the proverbial subway token for Justin.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 166 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau fits New York with his position and expiring contract. They want to stay under luxury tax. They may believe their park will help revive his power stroke.

Would they offer failed prospect Dellin Betances? He is 25. Struggled with injuries and command. I would guess he is running out of options.

In this instance, it would be two trade low candidates with both teams gambling they can resurrect talent not seen in two years.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Morneau fits New York with his position and expiring contract. They want to stay under luxury tax. They may believe their park will help revive his power stroke.

Would they offer failed prospect Dellin Betances? He is 25. Struggled with injuries and command. I would guess he is running out of options.

In this instance, it would be two trade low candidates with both teams gambling they can resurrect talent not seen in two years.
    They also need catching , so would we or could we garner Gary Sanchez, there high A catcher for Justkn and Doumit? or is Campos more realistic|?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    It doesn't seem likely that the Twins can expect to get much value back in July for any of these guys. If all you'll do is save a little money keep Morneau for the rest of the season.
    The idea of trading Perkins, likely the best trade chip, seems to turn most fans off. However if the Red Sox offered Xander Bogaerts, a top SS prospect, for Perkins would you do it?
    Obviously yes

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 166 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    They also need catching , so would we or could we garner Gary Sanchez, there high A catcher for Justkn and Doumit? or is Campos more realistic|?
    Obviously much better prospects than Betances.

Jose Molina references the Yankees and Giradi when asked about pitch framing. They have always employed catchers who do well both with the Yankees and when they leave. It is hard to imagine that Girardi would allow Doumit behind the plate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts

That is an interesting proposition. I don't know much about him but his numbers are very May-esque. High-K's, Low hits but a lot of walks.

The problem with moving Morneau is that most of the public won't understand the move, especially when you're getting little in return. So the question, from the Twins perspective, seems to be is a failed prospect, or any other crappy return, worth the public relations hit they're going to take with many fans? While moving Morneau might not in itself turn many fans off they have also moved Cuddy, Kubel, Liriano, Span, Revere and Baker. At some point the average fans will lose their attachment to the Twins before the prospects have developed enough to become fan favorites. I don't know where that point is. I don't know if we're close. But it is there somewhere and we have been turning over the roster quickly, even if it is not quick enough for some of our tastes it is too quickly for some average fans. My Grandma just mutters in disgust at the TV now because she doesn't recognize many of the players. It's a fine line the Twins must walk between acquiring the necessary talent to improve and providing an incentive for large segments of the fan base to keep buying tickets and concessions.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think the average fan has already lost their attachment to the team, and it will only get worse before it gets better, unless Ryan spends real money next year on legit MLB players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    The Twins don't need to dump salary. I just don't see a good reason to take back money and get a marginal prospect. If that is the best they can do might as well keep him and figure it out after the season.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think the average fan has already lost their attachment to the team, and it will only get worse before it gets better, unless Ryan spends real money next year on legit MLB players.
    The only thing that will bring back the average fan is winning. It will matter very little how much is spent (either way) to get to that point.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    The only thing that will bring back the average fan is winning. It will matter very little how much is spent (either way) to get to that point.
    Precisely! The average fan think owners roll in dough and can (should) spend to put the best team on the field possible. They do want a connection to the team--but if 25 strangers start winning enough, they will jump on a bandwagon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

We're on the same page here. I love to take a chance on Betances' fastball, and bet the Yanks would jump at the offer.

The main benefit would be giving Colabello a chance at regular AB's while he's En Fuego!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Yankees would definitely be a fit, as would Washington, Baltimore, & Texas to lesser degree's.

If you can get Hi or Low single A level prospect with some pretty good upside you trade Morneau. If you can't get anything more than a player like a Pedro Hernandez or Eduardo Escobar like they got for Liriano you don't make the trade. You can sign fringe 40 man roster guys every year. You don't need to trade a veteran whos been a class act and good team player his entire career just for that crap filler.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast