Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Is There A Market For Morneau?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Additionally, if your Morneau and the Twins don't move you at the deadline and don't sign you in the offseason, do you simply walk away from the game? Morneau has been on record as stating that he seriously considered not coming back and risking further concussions at one point in his recovery process. Could this be the end for Justin Morneau?

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I, too, have always been a Morneau fan and what has happened to him makes me sad in the same way that I am sad about Corey Koskie.

But I really believe that with young players coming in, the Twins need a "changing of the guard". There has been a stench of losing attached to this team for the last 3 years and unfortunately, it is a strong stench.

They'll pretty obviously keep Mauer so that's one veteran left. Plus they'll probably keep Perkins (absent some really spectacular offer for him). I doubt they'd get much for Willingham so that's probably another veteran around for next year (plus some other miscellany from the pitching staff). And I think Doumit will probably still be in Minny next year as well.

So there will still be a small veteran presence (plus a few of the young guys will have a couple of years of experience). I can't see them getting much for Morneau (even if the Twins pony up most of the rest of his salary). So let him play out the rest of this year with dignity and then part gracefully.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    It doesn't seem likely that the Twins can expect to get much value back in July for any of these guys. If all you'll do is save a little money keep Morneau for the rest of the season.
    The idea of trading Perkins, likely the best trade chip, seems to turn most fans off. However if the Red Sox offered Xander Bogaerts, a top SS prospect, for Perkins would you do it?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Public outcry over the loss of Morneau? Do you mean like the one over Cuddyer? It would be short and soft. The FO defenders would get mobilized and we would be barraged with "Trust in Terry" and "wow we got some great players in the minors who will be here soon", and "we don't want to 'block the young studs' from the Twins roster". Trust me, the Twins will survive the loss of Morneau.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I, too, have always been a Morneau fan and what has happened to him makes me sad in the same way that I am sad about Corey Koskie.
    I can't see them getting much for Morneau (even if the Twins pony up most of the rest of his salary). So let him play out the rest of this year with dignity and then part gracefully.
    Classy approach.
    I agree.
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 06-26-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Morneau should be in competition with Mauer more so than Parmelee for 1B of the future, in which case he has no chance. It'd be great to get him back as a DH/backup 1B for 1/4 of his salary but that won't happen. Don't see him bringing anything of value in a trade either.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    The Yankees will take him

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Public outcry over the loss of Morneau? Do you mean like the one over Cuddyer? It would be short and soft. The FO defenders would get mobilized and we would be barraged with "Trust in Terry" and "wow we got some great players in the minors who will be here soon", and "we don't want to 'block the young studs' from the Twins roster". Trust me, the Twins will survive the loss of Morneau.
    Well the "trust in Terry" people will be right, in respect to Morneau. It seems to me that many perfectly rational people lose all objectivity with the Big Canadian. He is not having a good year, and he is not the Twins' second best hitter.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Who said anything about public outcry? Everybody knows the Twins will survive without Morneau, the thread is about whether there is any value in him with regards to a trade. I for one believe very little right now, unfortunately. The bigger issue is if the club can't move him and know they are not going to offer him a qualifying offer, what do you do with him for the rest of the season in order to get guys like Parmelee more playing time.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 274 Times in 178 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I too had thought he'd return to form when he could work out regularly and get his strength and vision back. But he hasn't. And with each passing day, I lose a little faith that he ever will. I am not without hope, however, that he can somehow find himself again. Until he does, it makes no sense to even try to trade him. Let him play out his contract and hope for the best. If he shows something in July or August, he might still fetch a prospect. If not, it was nice rooting for him.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Lavelle E Neal freaking out that he is not in lineup today?!?

Quote Originally Posted by silverslugger View Post
    The Twins are in a bad situation with this one. Most if not all of us on here are hyper-serious fans and understand/analyze the game way beyond the typical/casual fan. The problem for Twins management and ownership with Morneau isn't so much that they may only get a marginal prospect for two months of Morneau. And that's certainly debatable. The problem is that the typical/casual fan doesn't pay to get into Target Field or tune into FSN or turn the dial on the radio to watch or listen to what Chris Colabello is doing for the Twins at First Base. Chris Colabello is not a prospect and we've argued plenty on this sight whether or not Parmelee still has prospect status. No, the problem for management and ownership is that they KNOW the casual fan will want to watch Justin Morneau play 1B and bat 4th in the Twins lineup in August and September regardless of our record.
    Ownership is not concerned with how serious (or not) fans are. They don't care if Morneau is the reason (or not) that a fan may watch a meaningless baseball game in September. They care about money, and then winning. The question surrounding Morneau isn't that of his value; it is that of his value compared to a replacement. If you can pay Parmelee a fraction of Morneau's salary, for the same production, you trade Morneau for the best offer. When you are rebuilding, as the Twins are, it does not pay to be mediocre. Tank, cut salary, save some money, and then spend wisely in a few years when there is a better product on the field.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    The idea of trading Perkins, likely the best trade chip, seems to turn most fans off. However if the Red Sox offered Xander Bogaerts, a top SS prospect, for Perkins would you do it?
    Yes. Not sure Boston would fork that much over...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At some point next year Morneau would acquire 10/5 rights and be able to veto any trade. Even if you believe that Morneau would be worth keeping around next year, that by itself would be a major hurdle in getting any deal done. Morneau's contract makes him very difficult to trade. I see him walking at the end of the year.

I think think the bigger debate maybe what draft pick we might get if he walks. Letting Cuddyer walk was worth it at this point in time. Is it guaranteed we get 1st round comp. if we offer him tender and he declines? I think this is more likely than trade.

Im part of the minority as well...Since hes not valuable enough to trade, i say sign him to an extension that is worth less a year than what hes making now (how is he gonna decline it, not like hes gonna get over $10 mil a yr from anyone else) besides, not like anyone else is knockin on the doo at 1st (apologes to collabello but hes at best anAAAA player) Morneau still gives you plus defense at 1st and still hits decent

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    I think think the bigger debate maybe what draft pick we might get if he walks. Letting Cuddyer walk was worth it at this point in time. Is it guaranteed we get 1st round comp. if we offer him tender and he declines? I think this is more likely than trade.
    On what planet does Morneau turn down over $10MM in a tender situation? No chance, zero, none, notta, nil, zip, he turns that down. It would be pure insanity to tender him a deal. He has been bad for more than a year now, why does anyone think (not feel, but think) he'll be worth more than $3MM or so?
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    On what planet does Morneau turn down over $10MM in a tender situation? No chance, zero, none, notta, nil, zip, he turns that down. It would be pure insanity to tender him a deal. He has been bad for more than a year now, why does anyone think (not feel, but think) he'll be worth more than $3MM or so?
    Although i agree, pride and the past will guarantee he makes over 3 mil....im guessing there are teams that will give him 7-8....id be ok with the twins giving him that...remember that this is the only year * while playing a full season, that his hr are awful so i wanna say this is a fluke)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    In order for the Twins to get a draft pick, they would have to tender a qualifying offer ($13M for one year). As has been said, there is no way that Morneau would decline a qualifying offer coming off this year. So.....there will be no draft pick for Morneau. I think it would be equally implausible for the Twins to make the qualifying offer, given the production (or lack thereof) that Morneau has had the last two years (while relatively healthy). Morneau's status as a long-term veteran and former MVP would make it difficult for him to accept a diminished role on the team in the future. It is better for both the team and the player that they part ways, amicably.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The Yankees will take him
    Would we be able to package Doumit and Justin for say high A catcher Sanchez? or is Campos more of a reality?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast