Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wishful thinking Scenario: Gallardo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is the thing about Rosario. Polanco is at CR right now and scalding the ball and is a middle infielder that is not transtitioning from OF. I have seen both play and it is real close between them as far offensive potential. Does having him make it easier to trade a Rosario or does he become a palatable replacement in the trade market? Now I would trade neither at this time for any of the pitchers mentioned as I don't see what the long term return is for the Twins with pitchers who are aging into low to mid 30's by the time the bulk of the minor leaguers are established in the MLB. Just wondering if the Rosario/Polanco dynamic changes anyones view of trading a middle infielder.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If you want to talk about possible dumps on the Philadelphia Phillies, the only one that applies is this:

Would you gamble 20M on Roy Halladay finding his way back to elite status?
    No.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    If you want to talk about possible dumps on the Philadelphia Phillies, the only one that applies is this:

Would you gamble 20M on Roy Halladay finding his way back to elite status?
    Halladay is a free agent after the season. Unless you are talking about picking up the option. In that case you could likely still offer $10 million on the FA market and still be top dollar. If $10 million doesn't cut it, surely $15 would.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Unless the player is a 32+ yr old pitcher or position player they will always cost to much for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    Here is the thing about Rosario. Polanco is at CR right now and scalding the ball and is a middle infielder that is not transtitioning from OF. I have seen both play and it is real close between them as far offensive potential. Does having him make it easier to trade a Rosario or does he become a palatable replacement in the trade market? Now I would trade neither at this time for any of the pitchers mentioned as I don't see what the long term return is for the Twins with pitchers who are aging into low to mid 30's by the time the bulk of the minor leaguers are established in the MLB. Just wondering if the Rosario/Polanco dynamic changes anyones view of trading a middle infielder.
    This is a big part of my thinking. I really like Rosario and think he will be a nice player, but he is not an elite difference maker like the others mentioned and there are other options in the system (and maybe even Dozier figures it out). That type of asset can be traded for the right pitcher. As mentioned though that is not Gallardo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Halladay is a free agent after the season. Unless you are talking about picking up the option. In that case you could likely still offer $10 million on the FA market and still be top dollar. If $10 million doesn't cut it, surely $15 would.
    Halladay's option is a vesting option that he won't reach. Can you "pick up" an option like that?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    I know it is an option that kicks in automatically if certain marks are met, but I had the impression it was a player option. One I'm sure he takes at tht price.

for the record, I don't make that gamble either, but it's preposterous to think Lee will be a dump.

I like the idea of acquiring a Lee or a Gallardo, but I don't think either of those would be an option for the Twins. Like many have said, I cant' see the Phillies dumping Lee, and Gallardo would probably take a haul to acquire, though he is in the right age range if you could get a buy low deal. The problem would stem from the Twins re-signing him.

Halladay and AJ Burnett are two vets who should be available in the offseason and who I hope the Twins pursue. Both are old enough to warrant a shorter deal, and the Twins are going to need to take a shot at a top end pitcher at some time. Halladay would be my preference because of his ability to generate ground balls and his HR rate should decrease a bit in the Twins park.

Like may have said, once Morneau is off the books, only Mauer will command a large salary. The Twins should not be too concerned with the money aspect and will just need to stay away from 5+ year deals.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Halladay's option is a vesting option that he won't reach. Can you "pick up" an option like that?
    I know it is an option that kicks in automatically if certain marks are met, but I had the impression it was a player option. One I'm sure he takes at tht price.

for the record, I don't make that gamble either, but it's preposterous to think Lee will be a dump.
    Vesting option it is. So a trade for him would only be a rental and last I heard his season is in jeopordy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Vesting option it is. So a trade for him would only be a rental and last I heard his season is in jeopordy.
    That said if the Phillies are looking for a pure salary dump it sure would be fun to watch him pitch here for half a season. Who knows, perhaps he could provide a little magic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123