Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wishful thinking Scenario: Gallardo

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    I understand the Rosario position but there is a massive difference betwren ss and 2b.

And just because I would trade him it would have to be for the right pitcher - one better than Gallardo.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    We already gave them Gomez. What the hell else do they want????

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Gallardo does not interest me. He looks like he is falling apart and his perceived value is much higher than his actual value. Getting Cliff Lee would be awesome but that's just not happening.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what it would take to get Liriano? 29 years old, more than a K/inning, 2.30 ERA, almost 3:1 K/BB. Seems like he is pretty good.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I wonder what it would take to get Liriano? 29 years old, more than a K/inning, 2.30 ERA, almost 3:1 K/BB. Seems like he is pretty good.
    who was that crazy old guy who was pushing for the Twins to sign Liriano to a cheap 3 yr extension last year?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing you, Chief. But I would have been all for it. How in the world did the Twins conclude that they should choose: Diamond, Deduno, Walters, Pelfrey, Correia, DeVries, and even Worley over Liriano?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    If there is anything we can be assured of -it's that one good year from Liriano guarantees he has turned the corner.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'd throw Rosario on there as well, if only because decent middle infielders are the white elephants of the Minnesota Twins farm system.
    If only, white elephants can at least manage a .240 batting average.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad to see this thread up. I was actually contemplating a blog regarding this but dragged my feet. Lee and Gallardo were the first two pitchers that came up as I started to look. I would endorse a deal for either of these guys, but would prefer Lee. I think if the Twins were willing to eat the salary, they might be able to get him reasonably. Despite his age, he seems more of a true ace that Gallardo. I think he has a decent chance of aging well as he doesn't rely on above average velocity.

The reason I was thinking of blogging on this is that I think it is the only way the Twins pick up a top end starter. I don't see them competing for the big names on the free agent market. I think Ryan would be much more likely to trade for a 2-3 year contract that is already signed. The Twins have the money to do this. That being said, I agree with Brock that it isn't very likely.

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    who was that crazy old guy who was pushing for the Twins to sign Liriano to a cheap 3 yr extension last year?
    Do you really think that would have been possible. Any dimwit agent would have his client test the market before signing a lowball contract. Liriano had a $12 million contract until he broke his arm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If there is anything we can be assured of -it's that one good year from Liriano guarantees he has turned the corner.
    I think you meant two months. That is exactly the sample size we need to declare Liriano is back.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Money should be of absolutely no consequence to this team for the immediate future.
    Nor the mid-term future. Like the next half decade. They have Mauer on the books, and nothing else, with the likelihood that many MLB-minimum contracts will be holding down full time jobs and nobody else needing a big payday for quite a while.

I guess it's just ingrained in us as Twins fans...we tend to think in terms of "the Twins can't possibly afford to do that, even if its a good idea."

When in reality, the Twins got a new stadium specifically because it would put them into a new financial arena. Not the top arena, but not the bottom any more either.

I don't know if Philly would be interested in salary relief (I tend to think they will, soon), or if Cliff Lee is the guy. But IMO salary shouldn't be a factor. It would be cheaper to take a pitcher like Lee off someone's hands than to go out and sign one, for that matter.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Every team gets $25MM in free revenue next year.....making cliff lee not look too expensive for several teams, I'd guess.....

As you may recall, Ryan has said several times that according to research, teams that dedicate too much money to 1-3 players do not do well. I'd guess that was him telling us there is no way he trades for, or signs, a guy like Cliff lee. Which bums me out, the guy can pitch.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would like to get Lee, if he is a salary dump, Twins have better low end prospects than most clubs, do not see the Phillies selling Lee or the Twins buying unless they stay close for the next month. Agree with Brock, very small chance.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Nor the mid-term future. Like the next half decade. They have Mauer on the books, and nothing else, with the likelihood that many MLB-minimum contracts will be holding down full time jobs and nobody else needing a big payday for quite a while.
    This is where I disagree a bit. I think pretty much any contract three years or less is fine for this club.

But if the contract extends into year four or five, that's when some players might start getting raises and the Twins might actually be not only competitive, but very good.

And I'd like a little something in the piggy bank to try to push the team from "very good" to "great". If the team loads up on bad long-term contracts now, there's a good chance that those players will be completely ineffective when Arcia, Rosario, Meyer, Sano, Buxton, et al are in their primes and relatively cheap.

Senior Member All-Star
    I highly doubt salary is the constraint in these situations. Much more about lack of pitchers available to acquire and the cost in prospects it will take to acquire said pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
    Lee would be an interesting player to get but depends on the prospects given up. If only there was a player with identical numbers to Cliff but maybe was a little younger, say 29, and didn't require you to give up any prospects. He probably would have been the perfect player to sign this last off season!

Lee won't be a dump. Philly is losing Utley and Young's contracts after this year which is a huge chunk of cash.

What they need is prospects for their depleted system. Lee will not be a dump, we can put that one to bed.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Outside of Buxton, Sano and Meyer I would trade anyone in the minors for the right pitcher.
    I agree with you on those three but I would throw in Rosario as well. Having a middle infielder with a bat like his is so hard to come by that I would need to throw him on that list too. Kohl Stewart can't be traded yet either, but he's on my can't touch list.

If you want to talk about possible dumps on the Philadelphia Phillies, the only one that applies is this:

Would you gamble 20M on Roy Halladay finding his way back to elite status?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast