Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wishful thinking Scenario: Gallardo

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts

Wishful thinking Scenario: Gallardo

Say, that the Twins remain competitive (or even heat up) through the deadline; perhaps it becomes unpalatable to become sellers, but maybe there's a way to build for the future by buying at the deadline.

What would you be willing to give up for Gallardo? He's signed through next year and still fairly young (27). He started out slowly but has regained his ace form recently (though his K-rate is at a career low).

This is wishful thinking, because I imagine he'd cost more than we're willing to give up.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    You gotta think it takes a haul similar to the one the Brewers got for Greinke last year. Not quite the same talent, but he isn't the rental Greinke was either. This means it takes a player of the Jean Segura talent range to start the conversation, I'd bet. Segura was ranked 55 by BA last year. So is it fair the conversation starts with an Arcia or Rosario? Just a guess as to what might get the ball rolling. The Angels threw in their top pitching prospect, too.

I don't think I am mentally prepared to start dealing our prospects. I'm just super excited to see what they could all do together. Obviously pitching is a huge need but I wanna see how this group of guys pans out.
    Last edited by AScheib50; 06-25-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Starts at least with Rosario and May (and probably even a better pitcher).

Senior Member All-Star
    Outside of Buxton, Sano and Meyer I would trade anyone in the minors for the right pitcher.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Outside of Buxton, Sano and Meyer I would trade anyone in the minors for the right pitcher.
    I agree with you however I'm just not sure that he would be the right pitcher.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I agree with you however I'm just not sure that he would be the right pitcher.
    You are probably correct. This was more a hypothetical statement than a direct response. It would take a big package to get Gallardo, I'm not sure I would do it considering health risks associated with drops in velocity and k rate.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    I wonder what Philly would want to get out from under Cliff Lee's salary?

If there's one thing the Twins have, it's salary room.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nothing. The Twins aren't going to be competitive for another 3 or 4 years, at which point Gallardo would be 30 or 31 and past his prime. Giving up long-term pieces that should play a key role in our bright future for a player who will be past his prime once we become competitive is silly.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Absolutely not, Lee is going to cost 77 million from 2014-2016.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Money should be of absolutely no consequence to this team for the immediate future.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Is that money earmarked for something else? Most of the youngsters won't even be arbitration eligible by the time that contract expires.

I like Gallardo, but I want someone who is under team control longer than 2014. If an extension could be worked out I'd be interested assuming the prospect haul isn't disgusting, which it may be.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    The Twins aren't going to be competitive for another 3 or 4 years...
    I think you overestimate the distance between competing and not competing.

If Morneau hits like his pre-injury self for 3 months (unlikely, but less unlikely than Cuddyer's career year he's having), Willingham starts to hit (likely), Gibson is good (50-50), Worley comes back up and is average (likely), then this team could compete this year. (I know that assumes the duct tape holds in all of the other places, too.) I wouldn't sacrifice a major prospect to try to force it, but this team still has a wide range of possible outcomes. I could see 70 wins. I could see 90. If they take a step forward in the next month, I wouldn't object to a minor trade to supplement an area of weakness.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,524 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I'd throw Rosario on there as well, if only because decent middle infielders are the white elephants of the Minnesota Twins farm system.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Probably not much and that's a very good idea.

Of course, the chance of this happening is somewhere around .000001%.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Nothing. The Twins aren't going to be competitive for another 3 or 4 years, at which point Gallardo would be 30 or 31 and past his prime.
    Methinks you overestimate the mighty AL Central.

Look at the Tigers. They have Fielder, Verlander, and Cabrera in their prime and can barely scrape together 90 wins.

Verlander might age well but he's also a pitcher and could fall apart tomorrow. On the other hand, it's a pretty good bet that their FBI* is probably going to age... not gracefully.

*Fat Bastard Infield

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'd throw Rosario on there as well, if only because decent middle infielders are the white elephants of the Minnesota Twins farm system.
    Rosario would certainly be on my no trade list as well and I haven't seen him play.

I think Middle Infielders are hard to find in every system. Look at the price tag Arizona paid for Didi. Atlanta refused to part with Simmons for Upton. Profar with the Rangers for Upton was a no go.

I realize that these guys are SS's but it does seem that quality middle infield has a steep price tag attached to them and I think the Twins should follow suit.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Probably not much and that's a very good idea.

Of course, the chance of this happening is somewhere around .000001%.
    i doubt Philly hands Lee away....too good of a pitcher with everyone getting extra broadcast dollars. He won't be a dump.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Phillies have mentioned several times they don't plan to trade any of their starters. Why? I don't know.

While the idea of trading from our deep farm system for big league pitchers is a great idea I think it is too early to do so. The Twins still look like a sub .500 team. This should be a strategy used in the upcoming years once some of our current talent is up and adjusted. Also, due to the lack of good pitching on the market better teams are going to overpay to try to push them over the top. We don't fit that bill.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries

This. The one reason I've given the front office any benefit of the doubt on how they filled the gaps in this rebuilding season, is on the chance that they will pull the trigger on someone's desire to move salary, even if it's not a dump per se. I had been thinking in terms of trading an inexpensive outfielder (Willingham) for someone's better but more expensive outfielder, but hadn't found the right match to suggest.

Senior Member All-Star
    I would be all for getting Lee but I highly doubt they entertain thoughts of moving him. They don't need to dump salary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast