Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buxton tops Baseball Prospectus' Mid-Season Top 50

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Bullpen Banter came outwith its mid-season Top 75 today too, with B&S at #1 and #7, and also #37 Stewart, #44 Meyer, #49 Berrios, and #53 Gibson. So 6 of the 75 are Twins, and Rosario and Kepler just missed, according to them. Some reasons to be encouraged about our chances to compete for the division in the near future:

1. The rest of the division placed a combined 8 prospects.
    2. We placed 6 before CWS place thier sole prospect, #55 Hawkins.
    3. Detroit placed only one: #29 Castellanos.
    4. KCR: #30 Zimmer, #32 Mondesi, and #46 Ventura.
    5. CLE: #5 Lindor, #34 Frazier, and #63 Paulino.
    6. We just graduated Arcia and Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Bullpen Banter came outwith its mid-season Top 75 today too, with B&S at #1 and #7, and also #37 Stewart, #44 Meyer, #49 Berrios, and #53 Gibson. So 6 of the 75 are Twins, and Rosario and Kepler just missed, according to them. Some reasons to be encouraged about our chances to compete for the division in the near future:

1. The rest of the division placed a combined 8 prospects.
    2. We placed 6 before CWS place thier sole prospect, #55 Hawkins.
    3. Detroit placed only one: #29 Castellanos.
    4. KCR: #30 Zimmer, #32 Mondesi, and #46 Ventura.
    5. CLE: #5 Lindor, #34 Frazier, and #63 Paulino.
    6. We just graduated Arcia and Hicks.
    I am surprised that Mondesi isn't higher, he is 17 yrs old, batting 260 in low A ball, with a ton of potential and already playing beyond his yrs. And the bloodlines are there too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    I am surprised that Mondesi isn't higher, he is 17 yrs old, batting 260 in low A ball, with a ton of potential and already playing beyond his yrs. And the bloodlines are there too.
    Age to league guys are by far the biggest bust risks.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Sano 6, Meyer 44, Berrios and Rosario received consideration. If I am reading his qualifications correctly, Parks would not include Arcia due to his time spent in MN.
    Arcia just passed the 130 AB mark signifying the end of his rookie consideration for future seasons. If he's not eligible for rookie status next year (or any other), then his "prospect status" is generally gone too. I guess in this case though, no current MLB players included.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 06-25-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a lot to be excited about here, but I'm curious as to why Rosario isn't in the top 100 on these lists. A 923 OPS in High A as a 21-year-old and he did well last year, too. I always hear: "He might not stay at second base" but the fallback is center field, which is up the defensive spectrum, not down it.

Can anyone give me any insight? What's not to like? Unlike Arcia, he was also a pretty high (4th round) draft choice, so it's not like he's surprising people, is he?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    There's a lot to be excited about here, but I'm curious as to why Rosario isn't in the top 100 on these lists. A 923 OPS in High A as a 21-year-old and he did well last year, too. I always hear: "He might not stay at second base" but the fallback is center field, which is up the defensive spectrum, not down it.

Can anyone give me any insight? What's not to like? Unlike Arcia, he was also a pretty high (4th round) draft choice, so it's not like he's surprising people, is he?
    Rosario (and Berrios), just missed BP's top 50, so he'd be top 75 at BP. I know from reading him that Jason Parks likes Rosario, thinks he can hit and thinks he should successfully transition to second base. However, I'm pretty sure he thinks Rosario can't play center, giving him a corner profile if second doesn't work.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

Arcia is Venezuelan so not subject to the Rule 4 draft like the Puerto Rican Rosario; so that comparison does not make much sense. Kinda like comparing Sano's and Buxton's draft positions.

That said, IMO not many of those national writers see many of the players they rank play. That is what happened with Rosario. Flying under the radar.

FWIW, super duper purple unicorns and such aside, I'd love to see Buxton sustain his success in high A, before I rank him over Sano
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems like Sano is dropping a spot or two on most peoples lists because of his start in double A, hopefully he gets it together and keeps moving up.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt a week in AA has influenced BP on this one. Players are expected to struggle a bit during those promotions. Sano should be no different, and being a higher K guy as it is, he's going to see a lot more breaking pitches that can get put over for a strike.

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Bullpen Banter came outwith its mid-season Top 75 today too ... #37 Stewart
    Is a guy who has yet to face a batter above high school ball really the #37 prospect overall?
    Last edited by gil4; 06-26-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Is a guy who has yet to face a batter above high school ball really the #37 prospect overall?
    Why does that matter? 18 year old kids who are uber athletic, perfect pitching frame, already has 2 plus level pitches, and has two more average pitches don't grow on trees. As I say this #37 does sound a bit high. I figured he would slot into the 50-60 range.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Was Buxton misplaced last year in the top 30? Talent is talent, no matter if it is facing high school or AAA opponents.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I doubt a week in AA has influenced BP on this one. Players are expected to struggle a bit during those promotions. Sano should be no different, and being a higher K guy as it is, he's going to see a lot more breaking pitches that can get put over for a strike.
    This. Especially since Parks said on his podcast before Sano was bumped up that the top 10-15 were already done for his midseason list, it was just the next 35-40 that he needed to iron out with his writers. I doubt the AA start factored at all.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12