Thread: Insights from the Fort Myers Miracle

Insights from the Fort Myers Miracle

A little about me. I am by no means a trained scout. Do I know more about certain things than others, sure, does that make me a scout, nope. These are merely my observations, and comments about the players I saw today (4/6/12) and throughout the next month and a half while I am in Fort Myers.

I scored the game myself, and have taken sometime to review what I saw and go through my notes. So for now here are my observations from 4/6/12.

PITCHERS

Pat Dean: Dean started the game and was quite efficient throughout the game. The lefty out of Boston College is making a return to the Fort after throwing 58 innings here last year. Tonight he was working between 87-92 with his fastball. He has a small frame and slight body but he pounds the strike-zone and fires strikes with his fastball. He needed only 67 pitches to get through 6 quality innings, and threw 50 strikes (74.6%). What I found interesting is that the first batter of the game, an eventual strikeout looking, started with an 11-pitch AB in which is took two balls, fouled off eight and then eventually went down looking. If you eliminate that first AB of the game, Dean recorded 17 outs in a span of 56 pitches. Throwing 41 strikes on those 56 pitches. He most likely tops out as a long reliever or 5th starter down the round.

Bruce Pugh: The righty is back for his third stint in Fort Myers, 2010 as a starter, and 2011 as an all-star reliever, was the first option out of the pen tonight. He throws hard, 94-95, with the occasional 85 MPH change-up mixed in. But his stuff is straight, and was ripped in four consecutive ABs to start his appearance. The box score will show he allowed four hits, and four runs, but only three were earned. In reality this could have easily been five hits and four earned. He was charged with an error on a chopped ball that he mishandled and couldn't get the out. He is only 23, but three consecutive seasons at one level is never a good sign.

Caleb Thielbar: The first player the Twins have ever signed from the St. Paul Saints, Caleb Thielbar came out of the pen for the 8th and 9th inning and was pretty effective. The lefty sits at 90-93 MPH (touching 94 to the second batter he faced) and throws a low 80s slider. He did hit two batters, but otherwise was pretty effective, throwing 70% of his pitches for strikes. He threw 7.1 innings at the end of last year for Fort Myers allowing only one hit over that time. At 25 he is not really a prospect, but if the Rock Cats need an arm at some point I wouldn't be surprised if Thielbar were given that opportunity.

OTHERS

Daniel Santana: I'll get called crazy, but Santana reminds me somewhat of Alexi Casilla. He runs well (though he was caught 15 times on 39 attempts last year), and sets the table really well for the guys after him. He had three of the games four hits today, and also stole a base. All five of his at-bats today were quality ABs, and I was really impressed with him. He is listed at 170, but I suspect that's a stretch. He was the #20 prospect in the 2011 Prospect Handbook, but goes unlisted this season. He is a sleeper.

Oswaldo Arcia: I saw him a couple times this spring, and I love that he was the youngest player in Major League camp. I didn't see much from him at the plate today (he struck out twice, walked once and was hit by a pitch) but he has a cannon from Right Field. He should be able to reach double digit assists from RF.

That is all for now, I hope you enjoy a little outside perspective!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love This! Thank you for sharing!!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana could really blossom this year and if he does, the Twins suddenly have middle infield depth in the organization.

Was nice to see the Miracle make a game of it tonight! Santana and his speed makes things exciting! Davis struggled and was very hittable. Hermsen had a solid night. Nothing special just got outs.

Hi,
    Thanks for the recap. I've been to Twins ST but never to a Miracle game. I will be attending one during the May 5th weekend for the first time with my family. Any tips or advice on attending the game. Best sections to sit in, etc? Do players usually sign autographs or talk to fans before games? Whats the average attendance for the Miracle games? couple hundred?

Thanks for any info!

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjammer View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the recap. I've been to Twins ST but never to a Miracle game. I will be attending one during the May 5th weekend for the first time with my family. Any tips or advice on attending the game. Best sections to sit in, etc? Do players usually sign autographs or talk to fans before games? Whats the average attendance for the Miracle games? couple hundred?

Thanks for any info!
    The players sign autographs before the game. The best sections to sit are by the Miracle dugout (third base side), esp if you want autographs to be signed. There are really no bad seats in the ballpark as long as you are below the walkway and not on the bench seats (and those are not even that bad). Look for a section that the numbers are in the 100s vs the 200s.

The ballpark is pretty full try more like 5-6 thousand not couple hundreds. The ballpark sits 8000 people or so. Scalping is legal (seems to be) in Florida so there will be many offers to buy tickets in the parking lot if you cannot find them at the ticket booth. I think parking is $3 or so and you park right at the ballpark.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The players sign autographs before the game. The best sections to sit are by the Miracle dugout (third base side), esp if you want autographs to be signed. There are really no bad seats in the ballpark as long as you are below the walkway and not on the bench seats (and those are not even that bad). Look for a section that the numbers are in the 100s vs the 200s.

The ballpark is pretty full try more like 5-6 thousand not couple hundreds. The ballpark sits 8000 people or so. Scalping is legal (seems to be) in Florida so there will be many offers to buy tickets in the parking lot if you cannot find them at the ticket booth. I think parking is $3 or so and you park right at the ballpark.
    Great, thanks for the response! About an hour before first pitch for autographs? same for opposing teams?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Great update. Thank you for the info. I didn't get to see Arcia in the field last year in Beloit as he had throwing issues and could only DH. I had heard he was a good outfielder, his bat was impressive however.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjammer View Post
    Great, thanks for the response! About an hour before first pitch for autographs? same for opposing teams?
    Trying to remember when they are opening their doors... About 15-20 min before 1st pitch for the Miracle and from 1.5 hr before to the first pitch for the visitors (they take BP last so they are on the field when the doors open) Also, if you are interested in Visitors autographs, you can stalk the team bus and wait for the players to come out after the game is done...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The game you went to was opening night so the crowd was much larger. The average attendance is about reported 1800 or so and that translates to about 1000-1500 in the stands. As far as seats, in the summer the best seats or at least the coolest are at the very top, where a breeze comes through the railing. You can always move down to the box seats at any time. Sunday games are brutal with 1pm start times.
    Players will often sign down the 3rd baseline on the outfield side of the dugout on the way to and from warmups. Some nights they have 2-3 players on the concourse near the stadium store and sometimes you can get an autograph outside the stadium by the batting cages. They are on the third base side under the stadium. Opposing players often will sign going to and from warmups as well on the first base side.

So I went to Monday's game in Fort Myers. Loved the 10:30 start although I was over run by thousands of 7 year olds as it was Education Day. Busloads of students were there. Sat front row behind homeplate for a bit. The closest I've ever been for a baseball game. Great stuff. Nick Castellanos of the the Tigers also lived up to the hype crushing a triple and finishing 2 for 3. He has the highest batting average (.421) of every level in professional baseball right now. The Lakeland team is loaded with top prospects. Of the Miracle, Michael Gonzales had a good day with 3 hits. Very fun day at the ballpark. Thanks for all of the info.