Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oswaldo Arcia as a Rookie of the Year Candidate?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Love Arcia. Had him as my #1 prospect coming into the season. He is going to be scary to pitch to in future years. In 2015 imagine pitching to Rosario, Mauer, Sano, Arcia. Man, that will not be a walk in the park.
    I just hope that Buxton is leading off in front of that Murderer's Row!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oswaldo Arcia:
    April - .216/.275/.405 (.680)
    May - .279/.343/.475 (.819)
    June - .289/.357/.553 (.910)

Even an optimist such as I cannot believe that he will continue to improve at this rate, but I sure enjoy watching him.

As Thegrin says he or she does, I pay close attention every time he comes to bat.
    Very fun!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think he has a really good shot.....he's good, and not many other rookies are in the AL.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He was my number 1 going into the season, but I tend to favor results at higher levels over "upside"... even though he's has the upside. His biggest knock, that I can tell is that he's a RF, and higher numbers tend to be expected from guys like that. He did play some CF in his younger days, so think above average corner OF defense should be doable at least though is 20s, but given his age, he could conceivably continue to fill out and slow down a bit more.

The kid strikes me as a guy who can hit for high average and about 30 HRs in his prime. Nice guy for the 3 spot. The top 5 in the lineup for the latter half of this decade is starting to look downright nasty... Now to get some pitching to go with it.

Hicks/Buxton
    Mauer
    Arcia
    Sano
    Rosario

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    ROY would be sweet for Arcia. I picked him to come north out of spring training, and then he got hurt. But he's come back strong since then. I'm in the group that won't miss his at bats. He still hasn't really squared one up yet. You watch, he'll hit one 500 feet yet. He most likely will lead the team in homers this year and most all his outs are loud. There aren't many hitters that make an out and I can say that was a good at bat. I hope he keeps it up and gets the ROY.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Oswaldo Arcia:
    April - .216/.275/.405 (.680)
    May - .279/.343/.475 (.819)
    June - .289/.357/.553 (.910)

Even an optimist such as I cannot believe that he will continue to improve at this rate, but I sure enjoy watching him.

As Thegrin says he or she does, I pay close attention every time he comes to bat.
    Very fun!
    As far as I'm concerned with his rookie year he doesn't need to improve that June line. I'm happy with what I've seen and even plateauing at those numbers is a victory.

Even with all the other top bats in the system, I think it is most likely that Arcia ends up being the Twins #3 hitter for the long run.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    As far as I'm concerned with his rookie year he doesn't need to improve that June line. I'm happy with what I've seen and even plateauing at those numbers is a victory.

Even with all the other top bats in the system, I think it is most likely that Arcia ends up being the Twins #3 hitter for the long run.
    I'd be happy with the May line too.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just sitting here. Slow day at work. Imagining Oswaldo-Sano-Buxton going back to back to back ROYs. Now I'm happy.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bl View Post
    Just sitting here. Slow day at work. Imagining Oswaldo-Sano-Buxton going back to back to back ROYs. Now I'm happy.
    Never thought of that. I think Sano will come up mid-season next year and be too late to win it. Maybe only 2 out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Never thought of that. I think Sano will come up mid-season next year and be too late to win it. Maybe only 2 out of 3.
    Well if Gibson is truly on a130-140 innings count he might still be eligible next year for ROY.

as a long time arcia lover who called his big season last year before it happened (i love him so much i can't stand to see his bro playing shortstop in the brewers system) i'd say that he could be a lefty magglio ordonez - there are quite a few similarities in terms of offensive output/upside, prospect status, nationality, position/body type, but thankfully not hairstyle.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    as a long time arcia lover who called his big season last year before it happened (i love him so much i can't stand to see his bro playing shortstop in the brewers system) i'd say that he could be a lefty magglio ordonez - there are quite a few similarities in terms of offensive output/upside, prospect status, nationality, position/body type, but thankfully not hairstyle.
    Oooh, I like that comp. Even in terms of build and approach that is a very good one.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I just hope that Buxton is leading off in front of that Murderer's Row!
    I would have put Buxton in there, but it seemed a little aggressive to expect him to be the leadoff guy by then. It is certainly possible, especially if Hicks continues to struggle. Add in guys like Vargas and Harrison that could be on the verge by then and Plouffe possibly in the mix somewhere and you've yourself a nice line-up.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I think they'll give Sano every opportunity to win the opening day 3B job next year. Maybe he'll start the season in Rochester, but I think he'll be up by May.

Buxton should start in AA next year and could possibly open the season in 2015, even though he'd be awfully young. Lets assume that he does and then consider this possible lineup in 2015 opening day.

Buxton-CF
    Rosario-2B
    Mauer-C
    Sano-3B
    Arcia-DH
    ???-RF
    Parmelee(???)-1B
    Hicks-LF
    Florimon-SS

Could easily move Mauer to DH or RF and fill the C spot with Hermann or Pinto. Not sure on 1B. One possibility is resigning Morneau as a cheaper veteran if there isn't a better option.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    Could easily move Mauer to DH or RF and fill the C spot with Hermann or Pinto. Not sure on 1B. One possibility is resigning Morneau as a cheaper veteran if there isn't a better option.
    Yeesh, I don't see either Herrmann or Pinto bumping Mauer from behind the plate. Both are several shades of underwhelming.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton-CF
    Rosario-2B
    Mauer-1B
    Arcia-RF
    Sano-3B
    Pinto-C
    Parmelee/Plouffe-DH
    Hicks-LF
    Santana/Mejia/Dozier-SS

It would be very young but not unreasonable. I wonder if that team could compete that year or if you would have to wait a year or 2 for development?

I really dont think the Twins need to sign a single bat in the offseason. If they do you are only blocking talented players from roster spots. They can trade Morneau/Willingham/Doumit for pitching prospects at this trade deadline and use filler from AAA or AA until most are ready.

I just want them to stick any money they would spend this offseason into pitching. Even if its just one pitcher. Isn't the future outlook of the players listed above along with a healthy long-term deal enough to draw some of the best pitching talent here?
    Last edited by Chance; 06-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't Hicks in RF with Arcia in LF be a real possibility with somebody (maybe Plouffe or a FA) being the DH?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think as it stands right now Arcia has the best stats of the AL rookies so I'd say he's a legit candidate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Wouldn't Hicks in RF with Arcia in LF be a real possibility with somebody (maybe Plouffe or a FA) being the DH?
    I agree. I'd rather have Hicks in RF and Arcia in LF than the other way around.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I agree. I'd rather have Hicks in RF and Arcia in LF than the other way around.

I just figured that if parmelee can play a decent RF so could Arcia and wouldnt Hicks speed be better served in LF? Maybe I'm wrong, that was just my thought process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast