Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oswaldo Arcia as a Rookie of the Year Candidate?

Oswaldo Arcia as a Rookie of the Year Candidate?

While I was watching the game I overheard Dick N' Bert talking about how Oswaldo Arcia is a legitimate ROY candidate in the American League. I played it off as homerism, but there really isn't anybody else that strikes me as a potential award winner...

Y! SPORTS

With the evidence above, you guys think there's a shot he can bring home the award? Or will somebody like Jurickson Profar heat up and take it away from him?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 154 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As you noted....

It's an impressive line that gets better as Arcia leads all American League rookies with six home runs and 21 RBI after beginning the season at Triple-A Rochester.
    He's more than a legitimate candidate - he might be the frontrunner.

We talked a little about this on the GATG podcast today - we may not be celebrating what is going on right in front of our eyes enough. Arcia could be pretty special.

I wonder if there isn't something here about prospects and how we rank them based on their history. Arcia was ranked #41 overall because....well, looking back it's not exactly clear why. He's super young. Had success at every level. Had all the tools. But he wasn't super-highly regarded when he first signed, so at every step he's had to climb the prospect ladder as opposed to starting at the top.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 600 Times in 336 Posts
    I love his approach at the plate. Saturday night the PBP comped him to Carlos Gonzalez, which I really like.

Lots
    of similarities.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 457 Times in 301 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Gardy pointed out in the post-game, he is really good with a bat in his hands. So far, he has had some rough moments in the field and on the bases, but those problems look like they can be fixed, and he is having better and better at-bats. I just hope he doesn't get too big and can continue to play a serviceable corner outfield.

The thing I like about Arcia is how he works the count well, and has a patient, but not an overly relaxed approach at he plate. He swings at most of the stuff thrown in the zone, and rarely chases the junk.

The 2nd part is pretty obvious in his power. He has immense power to all fields, and hits for average and power. Even when he gets out, he makes it a loud out.

His fielding has overall been looking really solid, even if he doesn't possess top speed. Has a nice arm.

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm Impressed... I really didnt understand why he was sent back down to Rochester for a spell. He appeared to be the 2nd best hitter on the team when it happened.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    As you noted....

He's more than a legitimate candidate - he might be the frontrunner.

We talked a little about this on the GATG podcast today - we may not be celebrating what is going on right in front of our eyes enough. Arcia could be pretty special.

I wonder if there isn't something here about prospects and how we rank them based on their history. Arcia was ranked #41 overall because....well, looking back it's not exactly clear why. He's super young. Had success at every level. Had all the tools. But he wasn't super-highly regarded when he first signed, so at every step he's had to climb the prospect ladder as opposed to starting at the top.
    What I like about him is that he exceeds expectations. Only the hardcore Twins fans knew about him a season ago and even this year it would have been understandable if he struggled a bit rather than showing the power display he's put on so far.

A lot of commenters on the Yahoo! article have been saying that he's only leading cause there isn't anybody else...which is true, but I think it's more of what Arcia has done so far and what he could accomplish if he keeps this up.

I think his development is every bit as exciting as some of the other top prospects in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I love his approach at the plate. Saturday night the PBP comped him to Carlos Gonzalez, which I really like.

Lots
    of similarities.
    I think Car-Go has way more speed than Arcia does, but the power is definitely there. After hearing Radcliff mention the Abreu comparison, I found that to be true with the way he works the count and makes solid contact with the ball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia appears to be the next coming of Jason Kubel. His minor league numbers look very similar. Hopefully he can become the player we hoped Kubel would be prior to his injury. Kubel gave us several very good years, but never produced quite to the level I hoped for.

I believe Arcia will be able to provide a decent LF or RF at the major league level, but in truth, his value is in his bat. His RBI at bat today was brilliant and really reflects his confidence as a hitter IMO. Got behind, worked the count back to force the pitcher to throw a strike and then knocked in a two-out RBI to tie the game. Fantastic.

Not that it counts for much, but I'm one who has been very high on this guy for quite some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schad View Post
    I think Car-Go has way more speed than Arcia does, but the power is definitely there. After hearing Radcliff mention the Abreu comparison, I found that to be true with the way he works the count and makes solid contact with the ball.
    Abreu used to have considerable speed too. I agree that the speed element isn't there with him, but a lot of the other numbers are similar.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,102 Times in 590 Posts
    I love how he comes to the plate and just wants to mash the ball, without being stupid about it. He has that confidence about him that just seems to say to the pitcher "Go ahead, throw a strike", he's got game, that's for sure.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's in the bag already: Jose Iglesias, Red Sox, 3B and SS. He's over 1000.00 OPS, good fielder, and most importantly, plays on the East Coast for a 1st place team so he'll get all the Elite Media votes for ROY.

I'm kind of sad Iglesias went on a tear this last call-up. I really thought if he flopped this last time he was going to be a prime guy to try and buy-low on. But not the way he's hitting now.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnsports255 View Post
    Not that it counts for much, but I'm one who has been very high on this guy for quite some time!
    People have been high on Arcia for a long time. You have to remain cautious about guys after the Appy League, cause numbers are inflated. Then he didn't spend much time in Beloit before he went to FM. He raked there, but kind of always was in Hicks' shadow. He raked at NB, but Hicks turned it on and Colabello was a feel-good story. He's always moved so quick too. The other thing is he's been consistently good in almost a Mauerish way. You stop singing a guy's praises when you come to expect great numbers from day-to-day to month-month and year-to-year.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love Arcia. Had him as my #1 prospect coming into the season. He is going to be scary to pitch to in future years. In 2015 imagine pitching to Rosario, Mauer, Sano, Arcia. Man, that will not be a walk in the park.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now, he's the one player that I give 100% attention to, when he is at bat. Joe gets another single. Ho Hum. Morneau doesn't hit a homer. Willingham, Plouffe and Doumit are maddeningly inconsistent. When Arcia comes to bat, I start smiling in anticipation.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 341 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started calling Arcia Kubel-Lite about three or four years ago. At the time, he had shown power, a little bit of speed, good defense, and the ability to hit for average. They both weren't very good against left-handed pitching. It was about a year ago at this time that he was promoted to New Britain and for the first time, he hit lefties well. Since he's been up, I think he's done a nice job and looks solid at the plate against southpaws.

The Abreu comp has been around for a couple of years. In general, I think it's a decent comp. Abreu was much more patient at the plate, and was a very good base runner. Other than that, they are pretty similar.

As for Rookie of the Year, I would say that Arcia has as much of a chance as anyone. Profar could take off. Wil Myers is possible if the Rays take off and he meets potential. A guy like Justin Grimm could get enough Wins with the Rangers to be inconsideration. But Arcia is certainly the favorite at his point.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 341 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've certainly been aware of Arcia for a long time. I've likely ranked him too low in previous years.

Preseason 2010 - 24 - It was following his season in the GCL, before his breakout in Elizabethton.
    Preseason 2011 - 10 - This was after the E-Town monster season. This was too low, for sure, but my excuse is that Angel Morales scared me off of making too big of a deal out of Appy League numbers. When I wrote about him and had more and more scouting reports, I know he should have been up a few more spots.
    Preseason 2012 - 3 - I had him behind Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario, which is ironic because both of them were coming off of huge seasons in the Appy League. But they did have pretty huge seasons, bigger than even Arcia's.
    Preseason 2013 - 3 - He's behind Sano and Buxton, and I'm comfortable with that. Arcia would be #1 on several rosters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast