Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report Reports (6/22): Saturday in the Park

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report Reports (6/22): Saturday in the Park

With Minier seeming to have officially moved over to 3B (which I believe was pretty much the plan when they signed him) we have some pretty good prospects in the pipeline (Sano, Harrison). I guess Terry Ryan and Co. are tired of looking for Koskie's replacement?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, I'm wondering where you ranked Edgar Ibarra preseason and where he might fall in your next rankings?

After a little slump at the end of May, he's back to lights out in June and having a terrific overall season at age 24 (he's given up just 1 hit in 6 June appearances).

Does he project as a major league LOOGY only?- or something more?

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    What's the hold up with Buxton's promotion?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I am not so sure that Harrison will stay at third base. I was travelling from Cleveland accross I-80 last Saturday and stopped for the 5PM game in Cedar Rapids. If anyone is in the area I highly recommend stopping. Great atmosphere. It was only one game but Harrison and Hicks sure looked like below average defenders. Seth what is your feeling on Adam Walker- He did not have a particulary good game when I was there but sure looked big, strong and fast.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Seth, I'm wondering where you ranked Edgar Ibarra preseason and where he might fall in your next rankings?

After a little slump at the end of May, he's back to lights out in June and having a terrific overall season at age 24 (he's given up just 1 hit in 6 June appearances).

Does he project as a major league LOOGY only?- or something more?
    Without looking, I don't think I would have had him in the Top 50 pre-season, and I know he wasn't in there in early June. I used to have him in the 30s or 40s when he was a starter in Beloit .I saw him a couple of years ago there make a start and came away very impressed with his pitches.

He's not a Top 50 for me, but I really, really like him. I do believe he has a future in the big leagues as a reliever. He throws pretty hard. I think he's got 3-4 pitches, though he hasn't been able to be consistent with them (which is why he's not a starter).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    What's the hold up with Buxton's promotion?
    I wish I knew an official answer to that, other than to say (as we all understand), it's more than just about the numbers. I just don't know what the full story on the reasoning is, other than the Twins don't typically promote a sub-20 year old out of the Midwest League. They didn't with Mauer or Sano. They both spent the full year in the league before moving up two levels in the following year.

I think we're also all smart enough to know that domination for 4-6 weeks is not enough to warrant a promotion... but Buxton is at 10-11 weeks at this point.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    I am not so sure that Harrison will stay at third base. I was travelling from Cleveland accross I-80 last Saturday and stopped for the 5PM game in Cedar Rapids. If anyone is in the area I highly recommend stopping. Great atmosphere. It was only one game but Harrison and Hicks sure looked like below average defenders. Seth what is your feeling on Adam Walker- He did not have a particulary good game when I was there but sure looked big, strong and fast.
    Regarding Harrison's Defense - He is relatively knew to 3B still, and he was really bad there a year ago in Elizabethton. When I saw him, he looked alright, and his error percentage is much better than a year ago. It's still not good. But, he has about half as many errors at 3B this year as Sano had last year at 3B. Sano was significantly better in the second half, and people are talking about Sano this year about being able to stay there, so I wouldn't give up on him. Also, dude can hit!

Hicks is not exactly nimble around 1B, but he's adequate.

Regarding Walker, his power is absolutely legit. I thought he might move up at the midseason mark too earlier. He had an impressive power stretch, and he has driven in a lot of runs. But, despite being a 3-year college guy drafted a year ago, he won't turn 22 until after the season. So, he's certainly not old. He's got amazing power, is a decent athlete, has average speed, can play a decent outfield. The only concern is the 15:63 BB:K rate. He strikes out a lot and doesn't walk much. All that put together, he's doing just fine and I think he's just fine where he is.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I wish I knew an official answer to that, other than to say (as we all understand), it's more than just about the numbers. I just don't know what the full story on the reasoning is, other than the Twins don't typically promote a sub-20 year old out of the Midwest League. They didn't with Mauer or Sano. They both spent the full year in the league before moving up two levels in the following year.

I think we're also all smart enough to know that domination for 4-6 weeks is not enough to warrant a promotion... but Buxton is at 10-11 weeks at this point.
    Kind of supports my Twins SOP cookie-cutter comfort zone theory, doesn't it?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Without looking, I don't think I would have had him in the Top 50 pre-season, and I know he wasn't in there in early June. I used to have him in the 30s or 40s when he was a starter in Beloit .I saw him a couple of years ago there make a start and came away very impressed with his pitches.

He's not a Top 50 for me, but I really, really like him. I do believe he has a future in the big leagues as a reliever. He throws pretty hard. I think he's got 3-4 pitches, though he hasn't been able to be consistent with them (which is why he's not a starter).
    Thanks, Seth. I'm always on the lookout for lefties and Ibarra seems to have resuscitated his career back from the dead. I asked about his stuff and potential LOOGY limitations based on his 2013 ridiculous split of .293 OBA to right handers and .088 to lefties. Other than that little 3 consecutive game rough patch at the end of May, the guy's been lights out all season and appears to be ready for a promotion to Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. jokin - Today, 06:48 AM

1. Originally Posted by Seth Stohs
    2. I wish I knew an official answer to that, other than to say (as we all understand), it's more than just about the numbers. I just don't know what the full story on the reasoning is, other than the Twins don't typically promote a sub-20 year old out of the Midwest League. They didn't with Mauer or Sano. They both spent the full year in the league before moving up two levels in the following year.

1. Kind of supports my Twins SOP cookie-cutter comfort zone theory, doesn't it?

My question is, actually what difference does it make if Buxton is in low A or high A? I doubt it will ultimately make any real difference to when he reaches the majors. There is some difference in the level of competition but difference between 3 levels from the majors and 4 levels from the majors, but it isn't that profound.

It is possible that Twins feel that "promoting" him to High A where he gets to play in high heat and high humidity in front of tiny crowds, isn't that much of a promotion. I think a few of the critics are largely looking for excuses to beat on the Twins organization. Look for some real issues. Let's let the Twins move propects who should be at least a couple of years away from the majors at their own rates. If Buxton turns out to be ready to play in majors sooner than that, the Twins will get him there.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I'd say there are likely legitimate reasons that the Twins have not yet promoted Buxton, but I dont' think the heat and humidity of Ft. Myers is it.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton needs to be challenged to grow. There is no good reason to keep him in low A. Brad Stile has said his promotion is "close" for two weeks. Yet they do not promote him. It is inexplicable. This is not Twins bashing.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Video of Sano's triple last night. Scorched the ball, but the RF probably should have caught it. It was a rocket though.

Sano helps Rock Cats stun Aeros | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Buxton needs to be challenged to grow. There is no good reason to keep him in low A. Brad Stile has said his promotion is "close" for two weeks. Yet they do not promote him. It is inexplicable. This is not Twins bashing.
    I thought he'd be promoted after the Midwest ASG. However, I don't think any of us foresee Buxton making it to AA this year. Best case, he starts next year there. If that's true, does it really matter whether he goes to Ft Myers last week, this week, or even a few weeks from now? Simply, IMO, no.

Nothing shows the Twins plan to keep him there all year, even though other elite prospects have done that (Mauer, Sano) and survived just fine. If multiple sources from the Twins say he's "close", it would seem likely the promotion will happen soon.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I thought he'd be promoted after the Midwest ASG. However, I don't think any of us foresee Buxton making it to AA this year. Best case, he starts next year there. If that's true, does it really matter whether he goes to Ft Myers last week, this week, or even a few weeks from now? Simply, IMO, no.

Nothing shows the Twins plan to keep him there all year, even though other elite prospects have done that (Mauer, Sano) and survived just fine. If multiple sources from the Twins say he's "close", it would seem likely the promotion will happen soon.
    Well stated.

Amaurys Minier is obviously a name to remember, but how the heck do pronounce it?