Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twin Cities Historic Ballparks

Twin Cities Historic Ballparks

I will be watching today's game later tonight, so in my attempt to avoid all live media, but get my baseball fix in today I came across an article in Minnesota History the quarterly MN Historical Society magazine. I searched for the article online to post but sadly it is a subscription only situation with no online articles - dead trees only. While at first I was unsuccessful, I was able to find a second and equally interesting article by the same authors titled Designing the National Pastime by Kristin M. Anderson & Christopher W. Kimball.

http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...07p338-352.pdf

The articles indicate they are working on a book, but the article linked above is from Fall 2003 and at this point I cannot tell when it will be out.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting this.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, thank you very much for passing this along, I'm looking forward to reading this...

For the record, if you're looking for a LOT more about early baseball history in MN (including quite a bit about the ballparks), you might want to order (either from Amazon or your local library) Stew Thornley's Baseball in Minnesota: The Definitive History. Thornley is a local treasure - fanatical about this stuff and getting the details right, but also a good storyteller. He has done several stories for TwinsCentric when we were putting out the Twins annual.

In fact, come to think about it, one of them was also a stadium story. If you have any of those Twins Annuals, you can find another story in there, too.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I read that article as well and thanks for posting this one! If you're not a subscriber most libraries have a copy of Minnesota History. Also this might have been posted elsewhere on this site but there is a baseball lecture on Tuesday (April 9) at the Minneapolis Central Library. Here's the link- scroll about three fourths down on this page:

http://www.hclib.org/pub/events/AllE....cfm?Agency=ce

There is also a baseball exhibit at the Minneapolis Central Library too- play ball!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Sarah. That's this Monday night folks. The presenters are:
    Stew - who I talked about above
    Dan Levitt - who is the editor of the Mpls SABR conventions publication this year (with a TON of history) and
    Tom Swift - who wrote Chief Bender's Burden: The Silent Struggle of a Baseball Star (The HOF pitcher Bender was from Minnesota)

It's going to be in the downtown Mpls public library, opens a baseball exhibit, and here's the info copied from the link above:

Talkin' Baseball
    Room Location: Pohlad Hall
    Tuesday, April 10, 7–8:30 p.m.
    Join local authors and baseball historians Stew Thornley, Dan Levitt and Tom Swift in a discussion of the history and quirks of baseball. Presented to kick off the Bank of America exhibit “Baseball: America's Game” in the Cargill Hall.
    Sponsored by the Friends of the Hennepin County Library.
    Tell a Friend