Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Article: Trading Away: The Position Players

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,995
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67

    Article: Trading Awary: The Position Players


  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    799
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Very few of these guys stand out, with the Pirates prospects being the most interesting. Probably will be some name we have not heard of. TR is good in coming up with these. Nice article though.

  3. #3
    I think trading Plouffe would come back to haunt us. He is still young and improving. Now, the others it would be dumb to not field serious offers. Same goes for Correia, Perkins (in the right deal), Carroll, and Butera.

  4. #4
    Also, Plouffe is athletic enough to play all over the field (3B, 2B, 1B, and OF). He is very valuable to the Twins

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    108
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    The Twins need to change their philosophy from quantity to quality. The term "prospects" has been debased on this board to the level of "might get to the majors", those aren't the type of guys to seek. Reference Ryan's preseason statement of "lots of arms". The Twins have "lots of arms" pitching at the AAA level and Minnesota. What they don't have is a solid five who all produce to major league standard. Nor three who produce well above major league standard.
    This same philosophy must be used for hitters as well as pitchers. Most of the recent wins have come from a result of power hitting a skill that has been in short supply.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    699
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm not for trading Plouffe. I think he still has a lot of value to us even if Sano does well and comes up earlier than expected, but I could really see the Yankees wanting him. I didn't check the stats or depth charts for the other teams, but it looks like the Yankees could really use all four of the guys you mentioned. Guys like Willingham and Plouffe could do great offensively in Yankee Stadium and Morneau would likely see his homerun total go up.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,535
    Like
    79
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Wow! A reasonable trade target post to start the trade deadline season. No words wasted on top prospects well beyond the value of those likely to be offered in trade.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    10
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    52

    Perkins?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    I think trading Plouffe would come back to haunt us. He is still young and improving. Now, the others it would be dumb to not field serious offers. Same goes for Correia, Perkins (in the right deal), Carroll, and Butera.
    If Ruth and Cobb are available, MAYBE....

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    541
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    If you're going to trade Morneau to the Yankees, wait until the after the all-star game. I don't want him to face the Twins.

  10. #10
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    50
    Like
    0
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ryan's Trade Approach

    Shane, thanks for raising this topic. My sense of how Ryan works is not to acquire AAA or AA players in return because their value is not going to be that great. Remember when the Twins acquired Pavano for Pino (a AA/AAA) marginal pitching prospect. His numbers looked much better than his actual perfomance, and I am not sure if he ever made it to the major leagues with the Indians.

    Ryan prefers, rightly, to push for higher ceiling players at the lower minor league levels: A ball and short season leagues. Such an approach increases the odds that the Twins will get a future contributor at the major league level. Teams just are not going to trade away AA/AAA prospect for a partial season of Morneau. With Willingham you get more back because he is under contract for one more year, but his knee injury and less productive season to date again limit what a team is going to send the Twins in terms of AA/AAA players.

    Plouffe does have more value because he is under contract for more time to the team that might acquire him.

    Would the Twins trade Walters and/or Deduno if both pitch well in their next 3-4 starts? Pitching almost always gives you a higher return down the stretch, plus these players would be under a team's control and very inexpensive.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    This is on position players and I will let it be there. A couple of comments:

    - Plouffe is tradeable and not because of Sano in the short term, but because of Deibinson Romero (.290/.365/.496 in 27 AA/AAA games with 7 HR and improving)

    - I have to add Carroll in the list. Even for a warm A body. The same with Butera (allegedly there is interest out there.) There is no way they bring those 2 back next season so if they get something is better than nothing. Same goes for Colabello/Thomas/whatever

    - For the same reasons that Plouffe is tradeable, so is Parmelee.

    - I have always saying that the Twins' way of doing trades, does not cut it. They just got to bundle some decent prospects in positions there is many (e.g Benson a couple years ago would had been ideal; RPs before getting exposed now = Turpin, Pugh, Hendriks etc) with veterans in trades to get better prospects back. They just got to do it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Banned Triple-A
    Posts
    253
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    First of all no player should be off limits because any trade can be good, it all just depends what or who you get in return. That being said I think this team should continue to concentrate on getting younger. Morneau and Willingham should be moved. Young players like Ploufe and Parmalee should be kept. Perkins and Doumit should be kept barring a ridiculous offer for their services elsewhere.

  13. #13
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,409
    Like
    420
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I don't see Plouffe getting traded unless Ryan gets blown away, and honestly that is how it should be. Parmelee has little to no value right now, and unfortunately we still find ourselves in a place where we don't know what we have with him because he gets no consistent PT. That too is frustrating to say the least.

    I don't think you should be purposely excluding guys on the top 10 lists of teams. For most teams, only the top 2 or 3 guys in the system will be in the MLB top 100, so purposely looking for guys in the 11-30 range isn't likely the best move unless you are targeting very high ceiling guys in rookie ball/low A with some serious question marks. It's not unreasonable to think that you can get a top 5 to 10 prospect on a team when you are trading something of value.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,134
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Brilliant article. I love it when people scour other teams' prospects so I don't have to bother looking.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jay's Avatar
    Posts
    889
    Like
    13
    Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't think you should be purposely excluding guys on the top 10 lists of teams. For most teams, only the top 2 or 3 guys in the system will be in the MLB top 100, so purposely looking for guys in the 11-30 range isn't likely the best move unless you are targeting very high ceiling guys in rookie ball/low A with some serious question marks. It's not unreasonable to think that you can get a top 5 to 10 prospect on a team when you are trading something of value.
    I'd certainly expect something in this range for a guy like Willingham. We were debating whether he was worth a top 100 prospect in the offseason and after his expected regression he's now only worth a mid-level prospect? I don't think a guy like Trevor May would be unreasonable. Proven power bats on reasonable contracts don't grow on trees.

    I don't want to see Plouffe traded either. We can talk about Romero, but that's a big leap to take. Plouffe is still trying to establish whether or not he can handle 3B and whether his bat is for real. Trading him now would seem to be pulling the plug too early since we've already come this far.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,685
    Like
    2,656
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    - Plouffe is tradeable and not because of Sano in the short term, but because of Deibinson Romero (.290/.365/.496 in 27 AA/AAA games with 7 HR and improving)
    I'm just not on the Deibinson train. His rate of errors at third base suggests he's still pretty rough there, and his full-season batting in past seasons doesn't make him look like a better than replacement-level player; after a hot start he's batting about .200 the past couple of weeks so the trend this year isn't looking that good either.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    631
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    - I have always saying that the Twins' way of doing trades, does not cut it. They just got to bundle some decent prospects in positions there is many (e.g Benson a couple years ago would had been ideal; RPs before getting exposed now = Turpin, Pugh, Hendriks etc) with veterans in trades to get better prospects back. They just got to do it.
    You said the yneed to bundle a decent prospect then mention Turpin and Pugh. Serious here? You think a GM could be fooled into thinking they are getting a gem here? Why not try convincing them with the right coach Cole DeVries could be their ace because he does not give up many runs when the ball is not hit 400 or more feet.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,535
    Like
    79
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    - I have always saying that the Twins' way of doing trades, does not cut it. They just got to bundle some decent prospects in positions there is many (e.g Benson a couple years ago would had been ideal; RPs before getting exposed now = Turpin, Pugh, Hendriks etc) with veterans in trades to get better prospects back. They just got to do it.
    It seems like a good idea.

    However, I just went through all of the deals in the summer of 2011 and 2012. I didn't find a comp in a trade where a team added minor leaguers with the veteran in order to get better prospects. It may not just be the Twins way of doing trades. It appears to be everyone's way. At least, it appears to be the case in the summer where 25 and 40 man rosters are much less flexible.

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,409
    Like
    420
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

    - I have always saying that the Twins' way of doing trades, does not cut it. They just got to bundle some decent prospects in positions there is many (e.g Benson a couple years ago would had been ideal; RPs before getting exposed now = Turpin, Pugh, Hendriks etc) with veterans in trades to get better prospects back. They just got to do it.
    I asked this once before and I'll ask this again. When Benson was at his highest value, the Twins were on their way to a 99 loss season and he had just had his breakout season in AA, while the centerfielder of the future posted a disappointing .723 OPS in A+. Explain to me again exactly what Ryan was supposed to trade him for? Help at the major league squad? You do realize that prospect for prospect trades are incredibly rare... and for very good reason.

    You say all you want that Ryan should have traded Benson back in 2011, but unless he sold low, there would have been no takers.

  20. #20
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,134
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I'm just not on the Deibinson train. His rate of errors at third base suggests he's still pretty rough there, and his full-season batting in past seasons doesn't make him look like a better than replacement-level player; after a hot start he's batting about .200 the past couple of weeks so the trend this year isn't looking that good either.
    Yep. Not even close to sold on him as an experiment, much less a viable option to start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.