Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Darnell Delivers

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Darnell Delivers

Seth, re-read the Rochester ASIDE paragraph as Kyle is still a great PICTURE but I think you mean he is a better PITCHER, which I agree with.

Yep. I've seen enough of Darnell in a New Britain uniform. 2.61 ERA, good K/BB ratio, keeping the ball in the ballpark. 7 of his last 10 starts have been "quality." And he's going deep into ballgames. I'd be surprised if he makes a start in July at the AA level.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is a much, much better picture now than he was six or seven starts ago, and that, to me, is the most important thing.
    Well, 9 starts ago, he pitched a 9 inning, 4-hit shutout. Actually, he was really, really good 7 and 6 starts ago. 7 starts ago, he went 7 2/3 of no-hit ball before settling for another 9 inning, 3-hit shutout. And 6 starts ago, another shutout. And then one clinker, followed by 4 good starts in June, with a June ERA of 2.08.

Your observation doesn't hold up to scrutiny, what's the point?, what's so important about Gibson demonstating he'd mastered AAA in early May, and continues to master AAA in late June? Especially when he's on an innings limit and now nearly all of his potentially experience-building valuable major league innings in a major league down year are gone.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-21-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    Yep. I've seen enough of Darnell in a New Britain uniform. 2.61 ERA, good K/BB ratio, keeping the ball in the ballpark. 7 of his last 10 starts have been "quality." And he's going deep into ballgames. I'd be surprised if he makes a start in July at the AA level.
    I echo your sentiments. Don't get me wrong, it's good to see another prospect emerge for future consideration to the big league rotation. But this is his 3rd year in AA. He's doing this year what he probably should have been doing last year. Hopefully, he's really figured things out and can be promoted faster to AAA than Buxton and Gibson are being pushed along to their own proper levels within the organization. A good showing in the last 2 months in Rochester and it gives the Twins more options for adding and most importantly removing people from the starting pitching depth chart at the trading deadline and come 2014.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Seth - On Gibson:
    Your blog mate Nick Nelson said it best:
    I'm not saying Gibson shouldn't be up or that he isn't better than a couple of the guys up there right now... I would say that 6 weeks ago, when the Twins said the "Inconsistent" comment about Gibson, it was very true. Thankfully, Gibson has responded since that time and been very good six of his last seven starts. Now, he's ready... That's my point. Gibson has made some adjustments, been successful and made himself a better pitcher. That's the key for guys that are in the long-term plans.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was high on Darnell a year ago at the beginning and then soured. I just needed to be more patient. There is no need to mess around with many of these pitchers right now. Darnell needs AAA time now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm not saying Gibson shouldn't be up or that he isn't better than a couple of the guys up there right now... I would say that 6 weeks ago, when the Twins said the "Inconsistent" comment about Gibson, it was very true. Thankfully, Gibson has responded since that time and been very good six of his last seven starts. Now, he's ready... That's my point. Gibson has made some adjustments, been successful and made himself a better pitcher. That's the key for guys that are in the long-term plans.
    7 out of 9 starts of very good-to-lights-out performaces is beyond the means of realistic expectations for 'consistency" of virtually every starting pitcher in AAA and in the Majors.

These June innings are largely wasted having Gibson throw them in AAA. The string of 3 of 4 lights out starts, including the near no-hitter in early May should have been all the Twins needed to see to move him up to start gaining major league experience in anticipation of him at the top of the rotation in 2014. The Andrew Albers being "the No. 1 guy for the next call-up" comment by Terry Ryan just added further insult to fans' intelligence in this increasingly bizarre situation.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-21-2013 at 06:26 AM.

The Gibson situation is just one of many things that has made this Twins season maddening & kind of unfun to watch. I cant get into any Pelfrey start & just hope every game he gets drilled just so they will finally move onto the inevitable Gibson recall.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Gibson has about 40 innings left. If starts are quality thats approximately 6 before he is shut down. From a growth and learning standpoint its hard to see how spending those innings at AAA is better than AAAA. Its quite weird.
    Last edited by Steve Penz; 06-21-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I think we can all agree that Gibson has earned a promotion. I don't think it matters though if he pitches a few games this year or all of next year because this team isn't going to be much better next year. 2015 is the absolute earliest this team competes for a playoff spot and I think 2016 is more realistic. Gibson will likely have two years to get himself ready before it really matters all that much anyway.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I think the Twins feel confident in what they have in Gibson but do they really know what Albers can give them? I think Ryan is more interested in testing Albers at the major league level than Gibson. Probably not until the end of year though unless they decide to get rid of Pelfry or demote Diamond.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    After all the bashing you are taking regarding Gibson, I feel for you. I for one, agree with you and don't have any problem with how the Twins are handling him. You have a great day Seth!

Watched the Cedar Rapids game last night. Was great seeing Kepler get into action. I saw a young man who took quality at bats even though he didn't get the ball out of the infield. Expect he will soon be adding to the Kernel's mighty offense. For the most part, the Timber Rattlers pitcher shut down the entire offense, including Buxton, et al. One nice swing by Harrison was the difference in a fun game to watch from an area from which I have fond memories.

Thanks for the update on ETon, was wondering why Jorge lasted only 1.2 innings. Expect this game may be a sign of what is to come...minimal offense with shut down pitching.
    Last edited by roger; 06-21-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    And Buxton still in low A......I don't get it. Gibson is better than at least two of the pitchers at the MLB level, and the "number 1 prospect in all of baseball" does not yet deserve to be in high A.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    After all the bashing you are taking regarding Gibson, I feel for you. I for one, agree with you and don't have any problem with how the Twins are handling him. You have a great day Seth!

Watched the Cedar Rapids game last night. Was great seeing Kepler get into action. I saw a young man who took quality at bats even though he didn't get the ball out of the infield. Expect he will soon be adding to the Kernel's mighty offense. For the most part, the Timber Rattlers pitcher shut down the entire offense, including Buxton, et al. One nice swing by Harrison was the difference in a fun game to watch from an area from which I have fond memories.

Thanks for the update on ETon, was wondering why Jorge lasted only 1.2 innings. Expect this game may be a sign of what is to come...minimal offense with shut down pitching.
    Thanks Roger... been getting a lot of agreement from players near the situation too.

As for Jorge, there was a rain delay at that point in the game. Not sure how long it lasted, but was at least 30-45 minutes. That's why he came out.

Very cool that you got to Cedar Rapids! Do you plan to see any more games there? I'm trying to figure out when I can get there next. I hope soon!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And Buxton still in low A......I don't get it. Gibson is better than at least two of the pitchers at the MLB level, and the "number 1 prospect in all of baseball" does not yet deserve to be in high A.
    I can't say I understand the Buxton one... My only guess is that it must be something other than the numbers. Obviously at those lower levels, the stats are just a part of the story. I only could wish I understood the whole story. But, they certainly have their reasons.

Like I've said, I could justify the Gibson thing six weeks ago and even 2-3 weeks ago, but he should be up as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With all the talk about Gibson, what is the plan on Colabello? Does he have any kind of future with the Twins? I don't see what more he could do offensively.

Also, does the recent performance by Herrmann make the Twins consider moving Doumit?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I was with the Twins on the "inconsistent" comment six weeks ago. But when TR repeated it to Lavelle late last week, I no longer agreed. Of course, "consistent" is so vague as to be almost meaningless, or it can mean whatever the Twins want it to over whatever period they want it to. It could, for example, mean he needs to pitch a shutout in every start. It could also mean that one bad start among 10 is enough to make him inconsistent. That's what's so insidious about their position. Six weeks ago it made sense. Now it certainly does not.

You have confidence he will be up soon. I think he'll run out of innings in AAA and they'll say he just wasn't consistent this year. In sooth, he's been more consistent than anybody in the Twins rotation not names Correia.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast