Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scholarship expiring?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    But if he's not up here in 2-3 weeks... Then yeah, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.
    I'm not talking about you, but it seems like I read comments like this a lot from the blanket apologists in a variety of conversations...and then if (and often when) that time frame comes up and nothing happens, the pissed off breaking point date gets moved back some more.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,504 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    lol
    It had more to do with the Twins roster than Slama himself. At the time, Gardy was letting Jeff Gray walk to the mound multiple times a week. I would rather have seen a damned pitching machine on the roster.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,504 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I'm not talking about you, but it seems like I read comments like this a lot from the blanket apologists in a variety of conversations...and then if (and often when) that time frame comes up and nothing happens, the pissed off breaking point date gets moved back some more.
    I'm basically saying this:

A month ago, I was tolerant of Gibson being in AAA. They said he needed consistency and I'll defer to their judgment... for awhile. Now, I believe he has shown that consistency and there is space for him in the rotation. Plus, he's running out of available 2013 innings. In 2-3 weeks, I'm going to be really irritated if he's still in the minors because there's no reason for it (unless he throws an absolute clunker or gets injured).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    certainly nothing like we heard last year about Strasberg in Washington, where it was said continuously and very publicly that this is the limit.
    Why would those situations compare? First, one was pitching in the majors. OF COURSE it's going to get more attention. Second, Strasburg was a MUCH better prospect AND their team was headed for the playoffs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm basically saying this:

A month ago, I was tolerant of Gibson being in AAA. They said he needed consistency and I'll defer to their judgment... for awhile. Now, I believe he has shown that consistency and there is space for him in the rotation. Plus, he's running out of available 2013 innings. In 2-3 weeks, I'm going to be really irritated if he's still in the minors because there's no reason for it (unless he throws an absolute clunker or gets injured).
    I got what you were saying, like I said, I wasn't even talking about you. Thanks for the clarification anyway.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    I'm on the verge of petitioning the other admins to censor the word entirely. I get mad every damned time I see it.

So you're saying that you get consistently mad about it?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would those situations compare? First, one was pitching in the majors. OF COURSE it's going to get more attention. Second, Strasburg was a MUCH better prospect AND their team was headed for the playoffs.
    All of this is true. And none of it changes the fact that, aside from one second-hand comment made in the off-season, there is nothing that indicates Gibson has an innings limit.

If someone has a direct quote from Ryan, or Gardenhire, or anybody in the front office, I would love to see it. Honestly. Not speculation from a blogger or columnist, not a post in a chat room or forum thread. An actual quote.

Blog Entries
    I'll even add this to the mix: a quote from Terry Ryan in March denying there is a firm limit.

"It's not a firm number," Ryan said. "He's different from (Francisco) Liriano. He's different from Joe Nathan. ... We're going to make sure that we take care of him, but we're also going to give him an opportunity to develop."

Minnesota Twins send Kyle Gibson down, can't wait to bring him back - TwinCities.com

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    That's true. At least the blanket bashers fess up to it when they're wrong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, Phil Mackey wrote: 'Earlier this offseason, Ryan said the Twins will likely limit Gibson's innings to somewhere between 130 and 140 in 2013 -- much like the Atlanta Braves did with Kris Medlen, who pitched 138 innings in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery.'

Unless you believe Phil Mackey is lying about what he was told by Ryan, whom he talks to all the time, it was probably said by Ryan.

Rhett Bollinger, who has the ear of the organization as well since he's their beat reporter for MLB.com wrote: 'But he'll have his innings cut short this season, as the Twins are expected to limit him to about 130-140 innings. There are no plans to use him as a reliever initially to limit that total, but the Twins could decide to start him slowly at Triple-A Rochester before giving him his first call to the big leagues.'

I mean, I suppose if you are hell-bent on insisting on exact quotes, this doesn't work. I believe most reasonable people can probably take at least Mackey at his word as to what Ryan said.

Seth, who is pretty well respected around here, asked for info on inning-limit as well, and he took Mackey's word for it, even without exact quotes.

http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...ngs-limit.html
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I don't like Pelfrey either. The Twins should replace Pelf and Diamond with Gibson and Albers and look to the future. Pelfrey is never going to find his top form this season and if he's not in the plans for next season why are the Twins riding it out with him and this rough season he's having? People say "well Pelf's velocity is really coming back...."WHO CARES? The guy throws fastballs right down the middle of the plate about 50 times a game. Unless he's throwing over 100MPH his increased velocity means very little.
    So Diamond isn't part of the future but Walters, Deduno and Corriea are?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    The timerames do seem to move for a lot of people....like for Buxton, everyone told me not to be mad, he'd be up after the all star break...don't worry. Now, it's, well, it doesn't matter, he'll be up eventually.

At some point, it does matter......especially for pitchers, whose arms are ticking timebombs frankly.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,183 Times in 693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    especially for pitchers, whose arms are ticking timebombs frankly.
    That one needs a good photo-shopper .... I keep seeing these Popeye-like arms embedded with dynamite and an alarm clock.

Blog Entries
    Well, Phil Mackey wrote: 'Earlier this offseason, Ryan said the Twins will likely limit Gibson's innings to somewhere between 130 and 140 in 2013 -- much like the Atlanta Braves did with Kris Medlen, who pitched 138 innings in his first full season back from Tommy John surgery.'

Unless you believe Phil Mackey is lying about what he was told by Ryan, whom he talks to all the time, it was probably said by Ryan.

Rhett Bollinger, who has the ear of the organization as well since he's their beat reporter for MLB.com wrote: 'But he'll have his innings cut short this season, as the Twins are expected to limit him to about 130-140 innings. There are no plans to use him as a reliever initially to limit that total, but the Twins could decide to start him slowly at Triple-A Rochester before giving him his first call to the big leagues.'

I mean, I suppose if you are hell-bent on insisting on exact quotes, this doesn't work. I believe most reasonable people can probably take at least Mackey at his word as to what Ryan said.

Seth, who is pretty well respected around here, asked for info on inning-limit as well, and he took Mackey's word for it, even without exact quotes.

http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...ngs-limit.html
    I remember that thread, and that Mackey piece was the only "evidence" given.

I think that's superseded by the interview Ryan gave in March, referenced in an earlier post I made in this thread, where he specifically says there is no firm limit.
    Last edited by IdahoPilgrim; 06-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I remember that thread, and that Mackey piece was the only "evidence" given.

I think that's superseded by the interview Ryan gave in March, referenced in an earlier post I made in this thread, where he specifically says there is no firm limit.
    You asked for info and I gave it. If you wanna say it doesn't count because Ryan said something later, that's fine. Doesn't mean it wasn't said, which is what you asked for. Well, actually you asked for a direct quote, which Mackey didn't put in his article. He just told us Ryan said it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123