Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins, Morneau not talking contract

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Every player is just one play away from not being able to play again if it's the wrong play.
    It doesn't even take a play. A guy could wake up with glaucoma, for instance.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1/2 a season of Morneau would probably be worth more than whatever scrubs people will offer. A C or C+ prospect? NO. I'll take 1/2 season of quality production at a position of need over a 5% moonshot that the prospect of that caliber amounts to anything. We have nothing to lose by keeping him since he's not blocking anyone and payroll means nothing when it's been severely undercut and the contract expires this season. Haven't we seen enough sentimental players leave? Even with all the hype about the youth coming up, veterans are still a necessary. I don't think it's in the Twins best interest to trade him. If he leaves through free agency fine, but I see trading as a bit of a minor blow to the player you sent out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    No! Doumit is playing everyday--because he has been the most productive hitter on the team. Morneau is playing because he is Morneau. Arcia is playing because the Twins have big plans for him and to sit him on the bench in Minneapolis is foolish. Willingham is still their RH hammer, though now he is getting some help, and sitting Willingham alo makes no sense. Parmalee is the odd man out because he isn't one of th favorites and isn't scorching like Doumit. Gardy is known to have favorites and to "play the hot bat".

Morneau won't be a Twin next year. The paring of the payroll combined with "the rebuild with youth" make his exit inevitable. His replacement willbe either Parmalee or Doumit. Even Gardy is aware that Doumit in the OF is "playing with fire". Parmalee has shown he is quite capable in the OF and Doumit catching ability should make him serviceable at 1B and definately better there than in the OF. Doumit will still be the #2 catcher.
    I'm still waiting for the definitive source that the Twins will continue to pare payroll despite a $25 million wind fall. I would argue that if they ever should sign a guy like Morneau to end his career with the team, it is after this season, when they will have more money available than ever before and when he will be more affordable than he's been since his second year in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    1/2 a season of Morneau would probably be worth more than whatever scrubs people will offer. A C or C+ prospect? NO. I'll take 1/2 season of quality production at a position of need over a 5% moonshot that the prospect of that caliber amounts to anything. We have nothing to lose by keeping him since he's not blocking anyone and payroll means nothing when it's been severely undercut and the contract expires this season. Haven't we seen enough sentimental players leave? Even with all the hype about the youth coming up, veterans are still a necessary. I don't think it's in the Twins best interest to trade him. If he leaves through free agency fine, but I see trading as a bit of a minor blow to the player you sent out.
    I think this kind of gets lost in the shuffle sometimes. In the rush to "get something" for him, we lose sight of the fact that another half year of him IS something. And some scrub in AA who's never getting past Rochester doesn't make me feel better about losing a good player and lifelong Twin.

Do we really need another Deolis Guerra? Let me at least enjoy watching Morneau until his curtain call in September.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    The younger players coming up are going to need a Mentor.
    Who should that be?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    The younger players coming up are going to need a Mentor.
    Who should that be?
    Little known fact: Byron Buxton was Joe Mauer's childhood mentor.

#buxtonfacts

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    If Byron Buxton hit a baseball thrown by Chuck Norris, what would happen?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do the Twins need Morneau and a .730ish OPS playing first base 140-150 times in 2014 and beyond? I really don't think so. While Parmelee's struggles mean there is no obvious successor, there are internal options who could put up comparable numbers (Colabello, Parmelee, later on Vargas, Plouffe) and there needs to be a place for Mauer to get at-bats when he is not catching. Despite the homer on Wednesday, I don't see anything that screams we'll see the "old Morneau" and the clubhouse dynamics are there where the manager will be compelled to bat him in the middle of the order and play him every day, which IMHO have hurt the team a bit this year and will continue to cost the teams as many wins as any decision when to pull a starter or any other lineup construction issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Do the Twins need Morneau and a .730ish OPS playing first base 140-150 times in 2014 and beyond? I really don't think so. While Parmelee's struggles mean there is no obvious successor, there are internal options who could put up comparable numbers (Colabello, Parmelee, later on Vargas, Plouffe) and there needs to be a place for Mauer to get at-bats when he is not catching. Despite the homer on Wednesday, I don't see anything that screams we'll see the "old Morneau" and the clubhouse dynamics are there where the manager will be compelled to bat him in the middle of the order and play him every day, which IMHO have hurt the team a bit this year and will continue to cost the teams as many wins as any decision when to pull a starter or any other lineup construction issue.
    Signing him to a new deal does not guarantee him a spot in the starting line-up. Perhaps his role would decrease. That would be up to him. Worst case, he's a solid lefty bat off the bench who can provide some competition for the Parmelees of the team to continue to progress. Parmelee is not taking playing time from him at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12