Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Twins draft prospect fell to later rounds

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm getting a lot of good stuff on Gonsalves...

Teams had high hopes his curveball would develop, it didn't... and then the suspension. Other scouts were convinced he wouldn't sign if he fell out of 2nd round. The Twins area scout, Leavitt, I believe, had no signing concerns and now those other scouts are "shocked" when they are finding out he has already signed.

Like any draft pick, he might not work out... but the Twins got a steal and Gonsalves is going to have a chip on his shoulder. It might take him a while... but for $700k, you role that dice every time.
    Better to be lucky than good. Thanks for the info.

My hope is ... he grows up to be a fine upstanding young man, WITH A BIG LEAGUE FASTBALL, CURVE, SLIDER, ETC. And if the baseball thing doesn't work out, just be a fine upstanding young man.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SurroundedByTigers View Post
    My hope is ... he grows up to be a fine upstanding young man, WITH A BIG LEAGUE FASTBALL, CURVE, SLIDER, ETC. And if the baseball thing doesn't work out, just be a fine upstanding young man.
    Too late, he has been exposed to the Reefer Madness. He's done for.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On that curve: I saw the vids from the all-star games and I thought it was a decent pitch for a 19 year old. It didn't have huge break. But it had sharp late break. I saw three clips of him getting ks looking on the pitch, as the hitters gave up on it and it broke over the plate. I especially liked his delivery: Straight over the top, which made the curve a 12-6 offering.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I like using picks past round 1/2 in baseball on guys with lots of risk, but that if things work, you have something potentially great. They have plenty of safe college pitchers they can turn into relievers.....they need some guys that can be starters. Roll the die on the potential.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm getting a lot of good stuff on Gonsalves...

Teams had high hopes his curveball would develop, it didn't... and then the suspension. Other scouts were convinced he wouldn't sign if he fell out of 2nd round. The Twins area scout, Leavitt, I believe, had no signing concerns and now those other scouts are "shocked" when they are finding out he has already signed.

Like any draft pick, he might not work out... but the Twins got a steal and Gonsalves is going to have a chip on his shoulder. It might take him a while... but for $700k, you role that dice every time.
    I wonder how much Stewart being drafted by the Twins affected Gonsalves decision to sign. Maybe not too much, but listening to the interviews last night of the two of them, it seems they developed a pretty quick friendship and are looking forward to going to Florida together and getting starter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I wonder how much Stewart being drafted by the Twins affected Gonsalves decision to sign. Maybe not too much, but listening to the interviews last night of the two of them, it seems they developed a pretty quick friendship and are looking forward to going to Florida together and getting starter.
    I was wondering the same thing. It certainly couldn't hurt, knowing you'd have somebody to pal around with when you move across the country without family at 18 years old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12