Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Plouffe Be Shopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Trading Plouffe makes no sense right now, or at all this season.

1. He hasn't established enough success to get any substantial talent back.
    2. He is cheap and under team control without worry about FA or contracts.
    3. He can play almost any position on the field and has done so when asked.
    4. These types of players are the guys that compliment superstars like Mauer and Sano and help win championships. During the Twins good years, they didn't have anyone like this.

If Plouffe does post an 800 OPS this season and has an 800 OPS going into the trade deadline next season I think his name might come up a little more. At this point it is all about weighing what you're giving up (a real 3b) to what you'd be getting (at this point unknown).
    Yeah, I'm totally with this post. Has Plouffe even really had a good 2-month stretch as a starter yet where he was encumbered by injuries? Even so, the results haven't been that bad. But he would have virtually no trade value - his best asset in the eyes of other teams is that he's not old enough to be considered a confirmed "bust". Which, coincidentally, is exactly one of the main reasons we should keep him.

Like many on this thread, I see Plouffe as part of the solution, not the problem. No one is untradeable for the right price, but I can't see a team trading a top SP or SS prospect for him. Keep him on the roster and when Sano does come up, be creative in ways to find him at bats.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Complete the circle of your logic: "Plouffe isn't good enough to fetch anybody" [worthwhile], turn him into a bench player [super utility?], keeping him because the Twins historically have kept bench players worse than Plouffe. At this rate Plouffe enters arbitration as a starting 3B who gets to yelp about his HRs--on a team that is paying $14MM for one guy to hit 3 and $23MM to hit 7 in by late June--total year projection for both is about 25 total! Plouffe becomes very expensive--for a "super-utility" player. Plouffe needs to be moved--either packaged in a trade with others to get a quality major league player, or as the SS of the Twins and live with his defense. IMO Plouffe's defense not much worse than Florimon's, but he will hit much better than Florimon. In short, keeping Plouffe means paying him. The salary Plouffe would command is way beyond that of a "super-utility", Plouffe would have to start [somewhere].

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they should be shopping him, but I think they should listen because some teams might call them about him. I don't think they could get a lot for him. He will go to arbitration after the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Complete the circle of your logic: "Plouffe isn't good enough to fetch anybody" [worthwhile], turn him into a bench player [super utility?], keeping him because the Twins historically have kept bench players worse than Plouffe. At this rate Plouffe enters arbitration as a starting 3B who gets to yelp about his HRs--on a team that is paying $14MM for one guy to hit 3 and $23MM to hit 7 in by late June--total year projection for both is about 25 total! Plouffe becomes very expensive--for a "super-utility" player. Plouffe needs to be moved--either packaged in a trade with others to get a quality major league player, or as the SS of the Twins and live with his defense. IMO Plouffe's defense not much worse than Florimon's, but he will hit much better than Florimon. In short, keeping Plouffe means paying him. The salary Plouffe would command is way beyond that of a "super-utility", Plouffe would have to start [somewhere].
    Mauer and Morneau's contract are not relevant when determining Plouffe's arbitration values. Plouffe's inconsistent numbers that are merely okay will determine how much Plouffe gets in arb. If Plouffe has a strong finish to the season ending up with 25 HR's and a .775 OPS then he's still unlikely to get more than 3-4M in his first year of arbitration.

Those that think Plouffe should be in a utility role are in the minority. Plouffe is showing enough with the bat that he could slide into an OF spot once Willingham is traded and replace that RH power in the lineup. Aside from Sano Plouffe is really the only other source of RH power that is coming until Buxton is up.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 438 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IMO Plouffe's defense not much worse than Florimon's
    Wait, what?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Plouffe's defense not much worse than Florimon's,
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Wait, what?
    Yep, I went back and checked, you heard him correctly, that's what he said.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    I think it's simply too soon to shop Plouffe, he's not going to return what most advocates here seem to think he will. His potential appears to be high enough and he's shown enough that he's worth exploring until next year's trade deadline.

That being said if someone does want to offer high, I'd do it, I don't see Plouffe as a part of this team the next time this team is ready to contend around 2016 or so. If not, we could at least use the bit of power he is capable of providing until then.

I see no reason to trade him without a decent return He isnt even Arb eligible until next year.

Through similar career plate appearances he is basically Michael Cuddyer without the magic tricks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123