Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Plouffe Be Shopped?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Include Plouffe with other(s) and see if a REAL 1B can be acquired. Or, a quality, ML, starting pitcher. Plouffe isn't a 3B, he a place holder, and definately not an OF.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Who the hell would you rather play than him vs. Rightys?! Jamey Carroll? Eduardo Escobar? Gardy is bad, but criticizing his use of Plouffe is foolish when there is no superior option. A .678 OPS vs. RHP is not that terrible and I'm confident he will be able to top .750 in the future against them.
    In the offseason, I was championing signing Eric Chavez to platoon with Plouffe as Chavy KILLS righties still. Plouffe is a below average player vs righties & a great manager/general manager would find a way to minimize that but yeah, Id rather have him than Escobar or Carroll....no questions asked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't trade him unless I was convinced this is the best that he has to offer. Twins are in position to find out his upside, and his power plays perfectly at Target Field.

I don't think he has a future at 3B (or SS or 2B) but could have enough stick to play a corner.

I would also look at it this way, Plouffe is exactly the type of player the Twins should try to acquire from other teams.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 1,066 Times in 477 Posts
    Personally, I'm really not interested in trading away any parts that have a chance to be good regulars on the next good Twins team.

The Twins should be looking to add those types, not trade them away. There's no point trading Perkins, Plouffe, Dozier, Hicks, et al until/unless it's clear they can't keep someone better, already in the organization, from taking their position and there's no other place to play them.

And I really not interested in collecting A ball prospects at this point, no matter how highly rated. I'm not interested in anything that might help in 2015 or 2016, and might be a good major league player a couple years after that.

The Twins need more pitching, but it doesn't have to be low minors lottery tickets. They have the money to add enough pitching. They don't need to wait half a decade.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trading Plouffe makes no sense right now, or at all this season.

1. He hasn't established enough success to get any substantial talent back.
    2. He is cheap and under team control without worry about FA or contracts.
    3. He can play almost any position on the field and has done so when asked.
    4. These types of players are the guys that compliment superstars like Mauer and Sano and help win championships. During the Twins good years, they didn't have anyone like this.

If Plouffe does post an 800 OPS this season and has an 800 OPS going into the trade deadline next season I think his name might come up a little more. At this point it is all about weighing what you're giving up (a real 3b) to what you'd be getting (at this point unknown).
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not like the thought of trading Plouffe. He has value and you would be selling low. At worst he is a platoon player, at best a lower middle of the order hitter. Not bad options until the rest of the Twins minors arrive. Most of those will probably fail anyway.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Personally, I'm really not interested in trading away any parts that have a chance to be good regulars on the next good Twins team.

The Twins should be looking to add those types, not trade them away. There's no point trading Perkins, Plouffe, Dozier, Hicks, et al until/unless it's clear they can't keep someone better, already in the organization, from taking their position and there's no other place to play them.

And I really not interested in collecting A ball prospects at this point, no matter how highly rated. I'm not interested in anything that might help in 2015 or 2016, and might be a good major league player a couple years after that.

The Twins need more pitching, but it doesn't have to be low minors lottery tickets. They have the money to add enough pitching. They don't need to wait half a decade.
    You're the first poster I've seen who used 5 years. All pitching is a lottery ticket. The low minors is the cheapest and easiest, and IMHO the best way to accumulate quality arms. Somehow I sense you already know this.

All things considered, you really have to keep him. His versatility, contract status, power potential vs lefties are all things you/every team can use.
    I still view him as a quasi-everyday player filling in at different position IF Sano gets here earlier than many think. He's looked solid enough in limited OF time last yr to get by as well as 2B. Not fulltime, but as the lineup dictates.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    All things considered, you really have to keep him. His versatility, contract status, power potential vs lefties are all things you/every team can use.
    I still view him as a quasi-everyday player filling in at different position IF Sano gets here earlier than many think. He's looked solid enough in limited OF time last yr to get by as well as 2B. Not fulltime, but as the lineup dictates.
    If the Twins don't want to keep him, I'm sure the Orioles would love to trade for him in a super-utility role.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I find several things funny in this thread.

First) I find it funny that Plouffe should have been shopped during his one month binge last year. What team is going to give up a good prospect for someone that has an unimpressive MiLB record and had been awful in the majors until a massive one month binge?

Second) I still don't know what team is going to give up something significant for Plouffe since he has been so inconsistent offensively and defensively.

Third) Sano is coming but trading Plouffe now puts a guy like Escobar/Carroll there for the season. Unless of course you want to try the Deibinson experiment at 3B based on a hot month in the minors.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Plouffe now. Let him play at 3B for a year or so until Sano is called up and then if necessary move him to the OF or even 1B. I think there is still a chance that Plouffe can fill the Willingham role in the lineup. He won't walk as much but having a .250 RH hitter with 25+ HR is an area the Twins are weak at.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Trading Plouffe makes no sense right now, or at all this season.

1. He hasn't established enough success to get any substantial talent back.
    2. He is cheap and under team control without worry about FA or contracts.
    3. He can play almost any position on the field and has done so when asked.
    4. These types of players are the guys that compliment superstars like Mauer and Sano and help win championships. During the Twins good years, they didn't have anyone like this.

If Plouffe does post an 800 OPS this season and has an 800 OPS going into the trade deadline next season I think his name might come up a little more. At this point it is all about weighing what you're giving up (a real 3b) to what you'd be getting (at this point unknown).
    FWIW, Rob St. Antony was on 1500 tonight after personally watching Sano's first games at New Britain. He wasn't concerned about his slow start at the plate at all. He did emphasize repeatedly that Sano has made extraordinary progress over at 3B. He mentioned how he went through a grueling session of defensive reps of hot smashes and slow hit dinks and never missed one ball or throw to first. He made it sound as if this was something he had never done before. The writing is on the wall. I hope both the Twins and Trevor are wide open to the concept of him becoming the super-utility guy. It seems like the best way to utilize him, given the facts you stated so well. His approach at the plate is still on the upswing, and he showed in that amazing month last year that there is something still untapped towards realizing his full potential.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-20-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trading Plouffe now is not the deal. Trading him at the end of July is what's up. Pittsburgh . . .

Anyway, the Twins could finish out with Romero at third and even begin next season with him there.

Get what you can. Add depth to the system.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    FWIW, Rob St. Antony was on 1500 tonight after personally watching Sano's first games at New Britain. He wasn't concerned about his slow start at the plate at all. He did emphasize repeatedly that Sano has made extraordinary progress over at 3B. He mentioned how he went through a grueling session of defensive reps of hot smashes and slow hit dinks and never missed one ball or throw to first. He made it sound as if this was something he had never done before. The writing is on the wall. I hope both the Twins and Trevor are wide open to the concept of him becoming the super-utility guy. It seems like the best way to utilize him, given the facts you stated so well. His approach at the plate is still on the upswing, and he showed in that amazing month last year that there is something still untapped towards realizing his full potential.
    Not enough people say this: Plouffe could be an IF/OF (corner) utility guy.

We have gotten so used to poor hitting good fielding utility players that we think that's how it has to be. What if you had a passable-fielding strong hitting utility IF? They would also be useful off the bench as a PH.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Not enough people say this: Plouffe could be an IF/OF (corner) utility guy.

We have gotten so used to poor hitting good fielding utility players that we think that's how it has to be. What if you had a passable-fielding strong hitting utility IF? They would also be useful off the bench as a PH.
    The reality of the situation is that you'd have to couple that poor fielder with a good fielder as well.

Which in the case of Plouffe, is not impossible because Trevor can also play corner OF so he fills in more of a super-utility/platoon role than anything else.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The reality of the situation is that you'd have to couple that poor fielder with a good fielder as well.
    When you've got a team that enjoys filling the middle infield with no-hit, all-glove players, I don't think that's much of a concern.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 1,066 Times in 477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Trading Plouffe now is not the deal. Trading him at the end of July is what's up. Pittsburgh . . .

Anyway, the Twins could finish out with Romero at third and even begin next season with him there.

Get what you can. Add depth to the system.
    I have an idea...trade Romero instead.

How's about the Twins start collecting actual major league players, instead of "depth."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    When you've got a team that enjoys filling the middle infield with no-hit, all-glove players, I don't think that's much of a concern.
    I still believe you need a capable fielder on the bench. There will be situations where the game is close and late and your no-hit guys are out of the game from pinch-hit replacements.

It's just a good idea to have a backup that won't embarrass himself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I have an idea...trade Romero instead.

How's about the Twins start collecting actual major league players, instead of "depth."
    Actually, I'm kinda with Chief on this. At some point, you stop trading young, cost-controlled players who can play at the MLB level.

Is Plouffe one of those guys? Possibly, maybe even likely at this point.

Which is why it's probably a good idea to hold on to him until Sano is ready to take his place. You only replace those guys when/if a player who is significantly better and cheaper comes along.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Exactly!

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Like others, I don't see him bringing back enough to make it worth it. If TR is blown away (like Pitt offering Tallison Cole or something silly like that), sure. But I dont' see anyone beating down the doors for Plouffe.

2) He's young enough, and cost controlled enough that he fits into the next wave. His bat is good enough now to play at most positions on the diamond and he has experience at LF, SS, 2B, and 3B. When Sano is ready, I'd consider moving him, not trading him. For that matter, if the Twins are convinced that Romero can be decent, I'd be fine moving Plouffe to SS or 2B (especially since his bat plays up a lot better there) and allowing Romero a 1 year shot at 3B to build up trade value.

3) The bottom line is that there's still a good chance that some of these high ceiling prospects don't pan out. Plouffe has panned out and appears to be getting better. I think it makes more sense to shop him when there's no obvious position for him, not to do it now. Not that I think it will happen, but if Rosario for example were to fail, then there'd be no one to man second, and Plouffe is capable. If he's traded, we are right back where we are today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast