Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Kohl Stewart has signed

  1. #1

    Kohl Stewart has signed

    per a tweet from the Twins

  2. #2
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,954
    Like
    257
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    He signed for exactly the slot amount ($4,544,400).

  3. #3
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,501
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Along with Stewart, the Twins have been busy:

    From the Twins:

    Other top 10 picks that have signed include: third round pickStuart Turner, a catcher from Ole Miss; fourth round pick Stephen Gonsalves, a left-handed pitcher from Cathedral Catholic (San Marcos, Calif.) High School; sixth round pick Brian Navaretto, a catcher from Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla.; seventh round pickBrian Gilbert, a right-handed pitcher from Seton Hall University (N.J.); ninth round pick Mitch Garver, a catcher from the University of New Mexico; 10th round pick C.K. Irby, a right-handed pitcher from Samford University (Ala.).Additional draft picks that have signed include: 11th round pick Nelson Molina (INF), 12th round pick Ethan Mildren (RHP), 13th round pick Brandon Peterson (RHP), 14th round pick Zach Granite(OF), 15th round pick Derrick Penilla (LHP), 17th round pick Tanner Mendonca (RHP), 18th round pick Ryan Walker (SS), 19th Jared Wilson (RHP), 20th round pick Jason Kanzler (OF), 21st round pickTyler Stirewalt (RHP), 22nd round pick Alex Swim (C), 23rd round pick Zach Hayden (RHP), 24th round pick Brandon Easton (LHP), 25th round pick Chad Christensen (OF), 30th round pick Tanner Vavra (2B) and 32nd round pick Carlos Avila Jr. (SS).

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,501
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    The three top ten guys that have not signed (Eades, Slegers and DeMuth) are in the College World Series, likely to sign shortly after elimination.

  5. #5
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The three top ten guys that have not signed (Eades, Slegers and DeMuth) are in the College World Series, likely to sign shortly after elimination.
    LSU has been eliminated, yesterday.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Along with Stewart, the Twins have been busy:

    From the Twins:

    Other top 10 picks that have signed include: third round pickStuart Turner, a catcher from Ole Miss; fourth round pick Stephen Gonsalves, a left-handed pitcher from Cathedral Catholic (San Marcos, Calif.) High School; sixth round pick Brian Navaretto, a catcher from Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Fla.; seventh round pickBrian Gilbert, a right-handed pitcher from Seton Hall University (N.J.); ninth round pick Mitch Garver, a catcher from the University of New Mexico; 10th round pick C.K. Irby, a right-handed pitcher from Samford University (Ala.).Additional draft picks that have signed include: 11th round pick Nelson Molina (INF), 12th round pick Ethan Mildren (RHP), 13th round pick Brandon Peterson (RHP), 14th round pick Zach Granite(OF), 15th round pick Derrick Penilla (LHP), 17th round pick Tanner Mendonca (RHP), 18th round pick Ryan Walker (SS), 19th Jared Wilson (RHP), 20th round pick Jason Kanzler (OF), 21st round pickTyler Stirewalt (RHP), 22nd round pick Alex Swim (C), 23rd round pick Zach Hayden (RHP), 24th round pick Brandon Easton (LHP), 25th round pick Chad Christensen (OF), 30th round pick Tanner Vavra (2B) and 32nd round pick Carlos Avila Jr. (SS).
    Out of all of those signings only 4 are HS guys. Seems really unbalanced.

  7. #7
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,918
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    177
    I think they only signed six prep players last year and the year before. Not that uncommon.

    Plus if they have money left, prep guys will be the target.

  8. #8
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,501
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Out of all of those signings only 4 are HS guys. Seems really unbalanced.
    I'd also add that once you get past the big money of the first 5-6 rounds, the signing bonus incentive vs going to a big baseball college is less. So, rather than draft a bunch of high school guys that likely won't sign, they draft college guys with potential that will sign. The Twins 27-29 round picks (Blatch through Shore) are high-upside high school guys that, as Jeremy said, if there is some extra bonus money, they can throw it at them in mid-July.

  9. #9
    The new signing procedures have made taking high school kids after the first couple rounds very risky as you cant pay em

  10. #10
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,755
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Seth, or anyone I guess...

    What happens with Kohl next? Where and when will he most likely report? How many inning will he be throwing this summer? In your opinion
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  11. #11
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,918
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    177
    IMO, Stewart goes to the GCL and spends most - if not the rest - of the year there. He's not as advanced right now as Berrios was last year (his ceiling is significantly higher). He should be in Cedar Rapids rotation next year, though possibly not right away.

    He'll be on an innings limit... he's thrown 40 so far, and will probably only throw 40 more this year. Next year we're probably looking at something between 110 and 130.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    IMO, Stewart goes to the GCL and spends most - if not the rest - of the year there. He's not as advanced right now as Berrios was last year (his ceiling is significantly higher). He should be in Cedar Rapids rotation next year, though possibly not right away.

    He'll be on an innings limit... he's thrown 40 so far, and will probably only throw 40 more this year. Next year we're probably looking at something between 110 and 130.
    Oh goody! Now we can have fun next year debating whether Stewart is being moved up to Cedar Rapids fast enough, and whether he's wasting his limited innings in short-season leagues.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    794
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    He should be pushed as fast as he can. Cedar Rapids would be nice. Hopefully most of the Twins pitching should be here in the next 4 years.

  14. #14
    Banned Triple-A
    Posts
    253
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.
    I was able to see him pitch live and his stuff is nasty. Kid finally gets to focus on pitching and I'm excited to see what he will become.

  16. #16
    Junior Member Rookie pab's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.
    Yes, you are the only one.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,591
    Like
    18
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Call him up!!

    *too soon?
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,781
    Like
    232
    Liked 473 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Call him up!!

    *too soon?
    Has it been 7 years already?
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

  19. #19
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,501
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
    I'm the only one that thinks so but the Twins blew it when they drafted this kid.
    Since most draft picks don't become All Stars, much less Hall of Famers, you're sure going out on a limb there, huh?!

  20. #20
    I wanna pay attention to 2nd rounder Ryan Eades when he signs.
    Many argue that collegiate arms are burned out by their coaches but most pitch right around 100 innings or so (Eades 100 exactly).
    He should be good for a solid 50-60 also, but wont as most organizations shut down their college arms. Will it be different now with the new signing dates??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.