Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the Twins should not trade Willingham.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Make any trade that will make the team better long term. However, there is no way in hell that the Twins trade either Sano or Buxton.
    Does anyone remember the last time Ryan traded a prospect for help at the "major league level"? The last time I can think of is Castillo from the Marlins for a couple mid level pitchers before the 2006 season. Before that I can't think of any.
    I agree with the first sentence.

In regards to the second half very few small market teams trade prospects for established players (ie the Rays). Unrealistic to expect much different from the Twins. But I'll add Kielty for Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Letting Willingham just walk away after next year would be a mistake. There are going to be teams interested in him at the deadline (see New York Yankees, and maybe the Rangers, Reds, and Orioles) and the Twins should try to get whatever they can. There is zero long-term possibility for him and 2014 should really be left to the youth movement.
    Why is letting a 20+ HR right handed bat play out year 2 of a 3 year deal a bad thing when he probably won't net more than an A ball mid range prospect? Yes, if the Twins get a top 15 prospect from a team, they hsould trade him. But, I can't see any universe where that will happen. Willingham is more valuable to the Twins than he is as a trade piece. He is a right handed, veteran power bat who is ok DH'ing and will allow the Twins to take pressure off their young hitters like Sano, Arcia and possibly Rosario next year.

The idea of Joe Mauer and the Super Prospects is a fantasy land. You have to bring prospects into a decent situation where they are not asked to carry the team from day one.

Understand that if we traded Willingham, Arcia might the second/third best bat we have on the Twins roster. That is the sad state of affairs that we are currently in.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper0080 View Post
    Why is letting a 20+ HR right handed bat play out year 2 of a 3 year deal a bad thing when he probably won't net more than an A ball mid range prospect? Yes, if the Twins get a top 15 prospect from a team, they hsould trade him. But, I can't see any universe where that will happen. Willingham is more valuable to the Twins than he is as a trade piece. He is a right handed, veteran power bat who is ok DH'ing and will allow the Twins to take pressure off their young hitters like Sano, Arcia and possibly Rosario next year.

The idea of Joe Mauer and the Super Prospects is a fantasy land. You have to bring prospects into a decent situation where they are not asked to carry the team from day one.

Understand that if we traded Willingham, Arcia might the second/third best bat we have on the Twins roster. That is the sad state of affairs that we are currently in.
    I would go so far as to say I'm not even interested in a "top 15 in an organization" prospect. The chances of such a player ever being better than Willingham are miniscule.

I want the Twins to win. Now. If not now, next year. If not next year, the year after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12