Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Twins Time is Now. Have to consider trading Buxton and Arcia.

The Twins Time is Now. Have to consider trading Buxton and Arcia.

Look, I like these guys, but lets be honest, we need pitching. If we could trade Buxton to the Nationals for Steven Strasburg and Arcia to the Dodgers for Kershaw we could have a serious team RIGHT NOW. I know it seems crazy, but I like the magic touch Terry Ryan has with trades. So if we can swing this come dead line, who agrees with me??

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would the Nationals make that trade?

And why would the Twins make that trade?

Aside from prospect-for-prospect deals being rare occurrences (though I think they should be more common), why incentive is there for the Twins to break up what looks to be a solid core coming through the minors at the same time?

It's very rare where a team will see 3-6 impact guys hit the roster within 24 months of one another. You don't screw that up because you're bored and want to see if you can do it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Why would the Nationals make that trade?

And why would the Twins make that trade?

Aside from prospect-for-prospect deals being rare occurrences (though I think they should be more common), why incentive is there for the Twins to break up what looks to be a solid core coming through the minors at the same time?

It's very rare where a team will see 3-6 impact guys hit the roster within 24 months of one another. You don't screw that up because you're bored and want to see if you can do it faster.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I just get the feeling Buxton will be injury prone, so I would rather have an injury prone pitcher than Outfielder right now. With Arcia, Kershaw, yeah thats dreaming a bit I admit. I don't know who you could trade Arcia for, maybe James SHields.

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. Just no.

I was hoping to find sarcasm here.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you proposed Arcia for Kershaw to the Dodgers, straight up, they'd laugh at you, hang up the phone, then call you back so they could laugh at you some more. Getting Kershaw right now, the conversation would START with Sano and Buxton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really think trading Buxton would be the dumbest thing the Twins could do right now with the excitement surrounding him. Strasburg is a good pitcher, but I feel like too many times he only goes 5 or 6 innings and isn't he yet to pitch an entire MLB season?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Piranha View Post
    If you proposed Arcia for Kershaw to the Dodgers, straight up, they'd laugh at you, hang up the phone, then call you back so they could laugh at you some more. Getting Kershaw right now, the conversation would START with Sano and Buxton.
    Are you kidding me??? I agree it would not be just Arcia, but I could see Arcia and replacing Kershaw with Pelfrey in the Dodgers rotation. THAT is where talks would start. We may have to give a little more but I am not so sure.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody's untradeable IMO but it would need to be a pretty big haul. Who did you have in mind?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Didn't you watch that minor league game last week? Buxton is going to be Willie Mays and then some.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia Pelfrey and even Eddie Rosario would not land you Kershaw....

Though I think Buxton and Sano is tooooo MUCH to pay for him obviously.

Can we even afford Kershaw? (his contract) I highly doubt
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Didn't you watch that minor league game last week? Buxton is going to be Willie Mays and then some.
    Stop being such a downer and raise your expectations a little. He'll be better than God if he were to lace his cletes up. He'll hit .400 with 50 HRs, 50 steals, and 50 exorcisms

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Who let Rubechat in?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is going on here today? It would take Sano and Buxton to get Kershaw, no doubt about it. That might seem like a lot to is, but Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball, he's young and he's left-handed. The Dodgers don't need Arcia and Pelfrey is a replacement-level player.

Why do you think Buxton will be injury prone?
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Greatest.
    Thread
    Evar.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why stop there? How about Hicks and Butera for Zack Wheeler and Matt Harvey.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one wants to trade for Kershaw until he signs an extension.

Then the Dodgers will not want to trade him. They need him to help them get back to being relevant.

Strasburg (2.5 ERA, 1.06 WHIP) is an important component of a team that thinks they should be in the Playoffs THIS YEAR.

I like trading wisely and big, but I don't see anything like this happening with these players. Fun stuff, but I want to see Buxton playing for us one day.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To honestly address the original post, why is the time now? Is the offense really good enough, even if the Twins could somehow trade their prospects for good pitching? Mauer is great, but who else has really been good this year?
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Why do you think Buxton will be injury prone?
    In a thread full of puzzling statements, that one was probably most puzzling.

Does anyone have an injury history on Buxton? Has he ever been injured, going back to T-Ball?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    To honestly address the original post, why is the time now? Is the offense really good enough, even if the Twins could somehow trade their prospects for good pitching? Mauer is great, but who else has really been good this year?
    This most certainly is not the thread to "honestly address the original post"....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In a thread full of puzzling statements, that one was probably most puzzling.

Does anyone have an injury history on Buxton? Has he ever been injured, going back to T-Ball?
    You're not actually buying into this bit, are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast