Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When the window's open........

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Twins drafted both Buxton and Berrios with the second pick last year? How'd they pull that off?
    Quick question. Where was Berrios ranked on most draft boards? My memory may be failing, and probably is in this instance, but wasn't it said that we reached to get him and could have gotten him a pick or two later? Again, not sure, that's why I'm asking.

edit. I just looked at a mock draft from that year that had him as the 47th pick going to Oakland, which was after our 3rd pick.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quick question. Where was Berrios ranked on most draft boards? My memory may be failing, and probably is in this instance, but wasn't it said that we reached to get him and could have gotten him a pick or two later? Again, not sure, that's why I'm asking.
    I'm definitely not the draft expert around here but I thought he was pegged more mid-to-late second round by most. I could be wrong, though... Memory hazy. I have the impression that the Twins reached a bit to get him but that it was far from guaranteed that he'd be available through the second round.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    You have no evidence that this was the case and you have been warned about it in the past.

Ryan surely played parts in various trades and acquisitions but there is no evidence that he was "deferred to" on anything.

Stop. Just stop.
    No evidence , just a couple articles i have read 1 on Pucketts Pond another in SB nation.
    Riddle me this Mr Brock , what is the job discription for senor advisor to the General manager? to fetch coffee?

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Four years ago, the Twins would have been included on that list? Why? Because they were winning. That list is not constructed by philosophy, attitude, or any other metric not called "winning".
    Even when the Twins were winning, there were criticisms for obvious failures to maximize talent. At the time, how many people liked the Young/Harris for Garza/Bartlett trade? Very few. How long did Aaron have his "Free Johan" campaign before Johan ended up in the rotation? I don't remember exactly, but it was a while. There were many players that the blogosphere identified as needing an upgrade that management took years to do - Rivas is the main one that comes to mind. How many were on board for the Capps-Ramos trade? Capps re-signing for $7M? How about Punto at 2yrs/$8M? Hardy for Hoey? Nishi was intriguing because nobody knew anything about him, but even those who thought he might be good didn't like the risk of going with him after letting an underrated player like Hardy go.

I know we have a lot of great memories of those Twins teams, but there are a lot of "what could have been" and "what should have been" stains on those memories, too. And there are too many times where hindsight has favored what the bloggers and number-crunchers said at the time, not the management view.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    The Twins drafted both Buxton and Berrios with the second pick last year? How'd they pull that off?
    They had how many picks in the first 70 selections?
    And the reason why, because they let players walk.
    Instead of signing or trading them,and because we lost a butt load of games
    Thats how we pulled that off, my friend

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I wonder what the Twins would be like if ownership was committed first and foremost to winning, rather than financial security.
    Probably like any failing business.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 794 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    No evidence , just a couple articles i have read 1 on Pucketts Pond another in SB nation.
    Riddle me this Mr Brock , what is the job discription for senor advisor to the General manager? to fetch coffee?
    You're the one making assumptions and declarations without evidence. Ryan played a capacity in the drafting and trading of players, no doubt. I said that in my original response.

But "played a role" is far different than "was deferred to on every decision and therefore gets the blame because I WANT to blame him". If you can't see the problem between those differences, I don't know what to say. You're basically claiming that Ryan was the GM, even though he... retired from being the GM. It's unsubstantiated and nonsensical.

Liked 1,214 Times in 551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Probably like any failing business.
    Can you provide some examples of MLB franchises that have ceased to exist over the past few decades?

Is Detroit "failing" due to its owners desire to win? The Yankees? Boston? The Dodgers?

Also please provide examples of similar "businesses" that enjoy exemption from anti trust laws, publicly funded infrastructure, revenue sharing with their "competition," and exclusion from public disclosure of financial data.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 71 Posts
    Can you provide some examples of MLB franchises that have ceased to exist over the past few decades?

Is Detroit "failing" due to its owners desire to win? The Yankees? Boston? The Dodgers?

Also please provide examples of similar "businesses" that enjoy exemption from anti trust laws, publicly funded infrastructure, revenue sharing with their "competition," and exclusion from public disclosure of financial data.
    Alright Chief, you've made the point. Baseball is certainly a special type of business. Granted.

Now, to compare the mid market Twins to the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers is not fair. Those team can throw 200M into their roster and still come out better than the Twins in the ledger. So really it's less "Desire to Win at All Costs" and more we're filthy stinking rich and we have more disposable income.

I share many of your frustrations with the Twins. I just choose to view their shortcomings in a more positive light. If I didn't do that, why would I bother being a fan? I'd stick my eggs in the Wild basket, or the Rubio/Love Timberwolves basket. But I was a Twins fan first, and I will be a Twins fan last. Call me an appologist if you will, but I support the team as a business, as a form of entertainment, as an experience, and I won't look for excuses to denigrate them. That's my stance and I'm sticking to it

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    How many think the FO will acquire a player before July 31 that resembles a significant upgrade over who they are playing right now? OK, stupid question its been 10 years since they did that.

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    I'm not going to lie, I only really read the OP. But I hope someone mentioned that Terry Ryan was extremely constrained financially, in his first tenure. I hope the Twins will be buyers when the time is right. I guess we'll see in a few years.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries

Most businesses enjoy publicly funded infrastructure. State and local governments are all too happy to fund bonding projects that will bring good jobs to their local tax base.

The other stuff is unique to baseball though.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    How many think the FO will acquire a player before July 31 that resembles a significant upgrade over who they are playing right now? OK, stupid question its been 10 years since they did that.
    They have no business doing that this year. This is not a playoff caliber team. They should be adding talent to go with the next wave, not removing it for a shot at the playoffs now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    They have no business doing that this year. This is not a playoff caliber team. They should be adding talent to go with the next wave, not removing it for a shot at the playoffs now.
    Why are you assuming that this "significant upgrade player" wouldn't be retained? Or is it just the Twins bias against big contracts?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why are you assuming that this "significant upgrade player" wouldn't be retained? Or is it just the Twins bias against big contracts?
    What type of player do you think will actually be out there? And which prospects would you be willing to surrender at this point?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I came up with Holliday and not much past that (and the Holliday trade didn't help them in the playoffs, where they were swept in the DLS). Who else did they get?
    I was thinking Rolen, Glaus, Mulder, Isringhausen, and Beltran.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neither. They have no business doing that right now. You overpay this time of year if you are a buyer. If they are contending, that's one thing. But they aren't. They should be selling at the deadline.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678