Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 157

Thread: When the window's open........

  1. #41
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I never claimed that, I claimed, and always have, that you need to use all the channels, not just one or two of the channels, to acquire talent.

    Like, Cliff Lee, or Alex Rodriguez, or Melky Cabrera, or AJ Przzaldknfoneski, or Matt Holiday, or Kyle Lohse or Manny Ramirez....WS winners are peppered with guys those teams did not draft.

    Look at TX, with Darvish and Nathan and AJ.....

    I don't usually make extreme arguments, I do make one.....you are less likely to win if you ignore FA and trades.
    Lighten up Francis....

  2. #42
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Jack Morris, Don Baylor.....
    Lighten up Francis....

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    A number of those options are based off how the team has performed recently. Not far in the past, fans of those clubs were calling for their GMs to be fired. Sabean (2005-2008), Dombrowski (2005, 2008) in specific. It wasn't too long ago that the Twins were the model franchise and receiving praise from the front office on down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ding ding ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

    Ask Giants fans what they thought of Sabean from 2005-2008.

    Or Tigers fans what they thought of Dombrowski in the early 2000s.

    Or As fans what they thought of Beane in the late 2000s.

    This argument is based on survivorship... Basically, the examination of success stories only at the time they are succeeding.

    Four years ago, the Twins would have been included on that list? Why? Because they were winning. That list is not constructed by philosophy, attitude, or any other metric not called "winning".

    Which is the wrong way to compile a list. Because winning is fleeting for anyone with tenure and a GM you would have considered good at his job three years ago is now bumped off that list because his team stopped winning. Or, in the case of Brian Sabean, that GM was the laughing stock of much of baseball after the Pierzynski trade, had a handful of losing seasons, was considered a failure, and now is on that list due to recent success. Was he an awful GM in 2004 and is now a great one? Unlikely.
    I can't disagree but the difference has been that those GM's have kept their jobs and succeeded because they adapted or instigated the changing landscape of baseball. Terry Ryan is still as stubbornly conservative as ever and seems aghast that anyone would imply the game has evolved.

    He refuses to recognize the value of pitchers, and he refuses to recognize the best attributes for pitchers in today's baseball involve missing bats. He stubbornly fields what is reported to be an extremely bare-bones statistical team and relies on what seems like a large scouting department. You can have both strong scouting and strong analytics, you don't have to choose one or the other. His roster management is suspect in terms of who gets promoted/demoted/DFA'd. Does anyone truely believe that Kyle Gibson would still be in AAA if one of those other GM's was in charge? Not me.

    If something stops working you need to change your approach. I'll acknowledge I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it doesn't appear that a lot is changing. It often seems like they are just gearing up to take the same old approach. Baseball today is different than baseball 10 years ago, you need to adjust.

  4. #44
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,693
    Like
    157
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't usually make extreme arguments, I do make one.....you are less likely to win if you ignore FA and trades.
    We were talking trades, not FA. The bulk of your examples are FA.

  5. #45
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Great, then let's see Ryan sign FAs......I don't think I made any claims in this thread, other than McPhail went for it, and Ryan did not ......

    I don't care, as long as they do try acquire legit MLB players, not only cheap, not good players.
    Lighten up Francis....

  6. #46
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I can't disagree but the difference has been that those GM's have kept their jobs and succeeded because they adapted or instigated the changing landscape of baseball. Terry Ryan is still as stubbornly conservative as ever and seems aghast that anyone would imply the game has evolved.

    He refuses to recognize the value of pitchers, and he refuses to recognize the best attributes for pitchers in today's baseball involve missing bats. He stubbornly fields what is reported to be an extremely bare-bones statistical team and relies on what seems like a large scouting department. You can have both strong scouting and strong analytics, you don't have to choose one or the other. His roster management is suspect in terms of who gets promoted/demoted/DFA'd. Does anyone truely believe that Kyle Gibson would still be in AAA if one of those other GM's was in charge? Not me.

    If something stops working you need to change your approach. I'll acknowledge I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it doesn't appear that a lot is changing. It often seems like they are just gearing up to take the same old approach. Baseball today is different than baseball 10 years ago, you need to adjust.
    Has Ryan's approach stopped working? He left a winning team and came back to an awful one that is now improving. In 2-3 years, I think we'll be able to say whether his approach has stopped working.

    Now, I'm not agreeing with everything the man has done. I hated the free agent pickups this offseason. I don't like the fact that Gibson isn't on the roster right now. There are plenty of things I don't like about this team right now and there are plenty of things I don't understand.

    But I'm not going to confuse "lack of information" with "that person has no game plan". It's a bit presumptuous.

  7. #47
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    To be fair, the team is bad because there are no good, young players on this roster....when would those players have been acquired?
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. #48
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Great, then let's see Ryan sign FAs......I don't think I made any claims in this thread, other than McPhail went for it, and Ryan did not ......

    I don't care, as long as they do try acquire legit MLB players, not only cheap, not good players.
    I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a "Terry Ryan 2012 Free Agents Fan Club" section of this forum.

    I give Ryan a pass in his last tenure because he had no money. I'm willing to hold my nose and disagree with him over the last offseason.

    But at some point, he's going to have to spend money or fans will be in open revolt. I think we can all agree on that much.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jay's Avatar
    Posts
    872
    Like
    12
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I can't disagree but the difference has been that those GM's have kept their jobs and succeeded because they adapted or instigated the changing landscape of baseball. Terry Ryan is still as stubbornly conservative as ever and seems aghast that anyone would imply the game has evolved.

    He refuses to recognize the value of pitchers, and he refuses to recognize the best attributes for pitchers in today's baseball involve missing bats. He stubbornly fields what is reported to be an extremely bare-bones statistical team and relies on what seems like a large scouting department. You can have both strong scouting and strong analytics, you don't have to choose one or the other. His roster management is suspect in terms of who gets promoted/demoted/DFA'd. Does anyone truely believe that Kyle Gibson would still be in AAA if one of those other GM's was in charge? Not me.

    If something stops working you need to change your approach. I'll acknowledge I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it doesn't appear that a lot is changing. It often seems like they are just gearing up to take the same old approach. Baseball today is different than baseball 10 years ago, you need to adjust.

    While I would much rather prefer a GM that is known to be well versed in the statistical revolution, Terry Ryan has seen success in the past and took over in a down cycle. I guess I'd tend to give him a little more time to turn things around and, as you acknowledged, we don't truly know how it works behind the scenes.

    I think you're make some big jumps and assumptions in your conclusion. A rapidly developing farm system would seem to be one indicator that either something is changing or, at the least, working.

  10. #50
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,693
    Like
    157
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Great, then let's see Ryan sign FAs......I don't think I made any claims in this thread, other than McPhail went for it, and Ryan did not ......

    I don't care, as long as they do try acquire legit MLB players, not only cheap, not good players.
    Go back and look at what I quoted. That may help see where you got off track.

    I don't disagree about using all routes to make your team better, I disagree with your factually inaccurate claim I quoted earlier.

  11. #51
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    To be fair, the team is bad because there are no good, young players on this roster....when would those players have been acquired?
    During his tenure, for sure. His last few drafts were pretty bad.

    That also tends to happen when you pick in the bottom ten nearly every season for 5-6 years.

    The real question is whether Ryan would have adjusted his approach had he stayed as GM. And we'll never know for sure because he left the position.

    But now that he's back, it's pretty hard to complain about his drafts thus far. They've been pretty bold and different.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jay's Avatar
    Posts
    872
    Like
    12
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    But at some point, he's going to have to spend money or fans will be in open revolt. I think we can all agree on that much.
    Very true. It's not likely at all that the upcoming prospects will fill every hole. I'll be interested to see whether the Twins continue with their invest from within and go for contracts with their guys or reach out to the FA market to get some more immediate fixes. Let's hope for a little of both.

  13. #53
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    During his tenure, for sure. His last few drafts were pretty bad.

    That also tends to happen when you pick in the bottom ten nearly every season for 5-6 years.

    The real question is whether Ryan would have adjusted his approach had he stayed as GM. And we'll never know for sure because he left the position.

    But now that he's back, it's pretty hard to complain about his drafts thus far. They've been pretty bold and different.
    The Cardinals seem to be still finding guys in their drafts the last few years.....but yes, it will be harder. BUT, if your strategy is to only build through the draft, you have to be BETTER than everyone else, not just as good as everyone else. That's the issue with this team, they were not good enough at acquiring talent when it was harder. It's not hard (you'd think), to draft 2nd or 4th overall.....any of us could have picked a guy that would be in the top 50.....it's picking 20th and later that a good FO earns its pay.....
    Lighten up Francis....

  14. #54
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,468
    Like
    186
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'll try to find middle ground here. There has been a giant failure for two years--players let go that should have been kept, players brought in that don't belong in MLB, and I think the Twins acknowledge this. I was OK with putting a few bandages on in 2012 and they mostly worked, at least among the position players (Willingham, Doumit, and Carroll), but the pitching hasn't been addressed satisfactorily from outside the organization. I am not confident that Ryan has bought into the new proposition that values live arms above almost anything else, so much so that guys like Sabathia, Kershaw, Price etc. get huge long-term contracts. Many big contracts fail, but many work out. Ryan has been unwilling to pay what it takes to acquire top-tier (or even middle tier) major league pitching. Eliminating that avenue puts more pressure on developing good pitchers and lately, for whatever reason, the Twins haven't done well there either. As evidenced by the 2012 offseason, I think Ryan can patch the holes in the lineup. The Twins have the resources to get better pitching, without trading any blue chips.

  15. #55
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Go back and look at what I quoted. That may help see where you got off track.

    I don't disagree about using all routes to make your team better, I disagree with your factually inaccurate claim I quoted earlier.
    you are right, I did say "what if they had traded Benson when he was a good prospect"....and I stand by that, sometimes it is a good idea to trade prospects for proven players. Sometimes it is not. Maybe even most times it is not.

    But that's a nit for me.....my point remains consistent, if you refuse to use FA or trades, you better be the best drafting team in baseball, ever. And they weren't. As does my other point, when you are one of the best teams in baseball for years in a row, but you refuse to add players, then you are deserving of some criticism. Others clearly disagree, and since this is just an opinion and not fact, neither side is probably wrong.....
    Lighten up Francis....

  16. #56
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The Cardinals seem to be still finding guys in their drafts the last few years.....but yes, it will be harder. BUT, if your strategy is to only build through the draft, you have to be BETTER than everyone else, not just as good as everyone else. That's the issue with this team, they were not good enough at acquiring talent when it was harder. It's not hard (you'd think), to draft 2nd or 4th overall.....any of us could have picked a guy that would be in the top 50.....it's picking 20th and later that a good FO earns its pay.....
    Oddly enough, the Twins did rather well in later rounds. It was the first round that killed them, as strange as that seems.

    Teams have bad runs of drafts. It happens to even the best front offices. We could speculate all day on whether Ryan would have rebounded from those drafts but I just don't see the point. I'd prefer to talk about what he's doing now... and so far, it looks pretty good on the draft front.

  17. #57
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,580
    Like
    828
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    A number of those options are based off how the team has performed recently. Not far in the past, fans of those clubs were calling for their GMs to be fired. Sabean (2005-2008), Dombrowski (2005, 2008) in specific. It wasn't too long ago that the Twins were the model franchise and receiving praise from the front office on down.
    I'm not sure what "praise as a model franchise" should have been deserved for:

    trying to get yourself contracted out of baseball for profit,

    going 2-15 in the postseason since 2003 in 5 playoff series,

    not making any legitimate attempt at improving or changing philosophical approach in direct response to continued negative postseason outcomes since 2002,

    letting star-value & above-replacement players walk away for nothing or traded away for practically nothing,

    year-after-year failure at recognizing franchise blind spots in developmental flaws within the organization and demonstrated continued inability to scout, identify and sign prospects and veterans for positions of weakness (especially when they were in unfavorable draft position- Levi Michael, Ben Revere...?),

    failure to acknowledge and understand that the windows have closed on past market inefficiencies in player worth- and openly mocking proven modern valuation techniques,

    failure to have in place a legitimate Plan A and Plan B for building a ballpark to match the personnel strengths and putting up the white flags of surrender at the first sign of said failure, while still in the transition phase to the new stadium.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.

  18. #58
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,024
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    you are right, I did say "what if they had traded Benson when he was a good prospect"....and I stand by that, sometimes it is a good idea to trade prospects for proven players. Sometimes it is not. Maybe even most times it is not.
    And what if Benson was a good player right now and was manning CF for the Twins?

    The Twins didn't trade Benson because they needed OF production. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out... for anyone.

    I agree with your sentiment about trading from prospect strength but I disagree with the Benson example. After all, the Twins picked up three pitchers because Ryan was willing to deal from a point of strength this last offseason.

  19. #59
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,693
    Like
    157
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    you are right, I did say "what if they had traded Benson when he was a good prospect"....and I stand by that, sometimes it is a good idea to trade prospects for proven players. Sometimes it is not. Maybe even most times it is not.
    Cmon man, this is kind of sad. You claimed trading prospects for veterans wins world series titles. Don't hide behind a throw-away comment about Benson or broaden your point. I am attacking one very specific charge you made.

    That charge is one repeated by MANY in this fan base and it's just....plain....wrong.

  20. #60
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Oddly enough, the Twins did rather well in later rounds. It was the first round that killed them, as strange as that seems.

    Teams have bad runs of drafts. It happens to even the best front offices. We could speculate all day on whether Ryan would have rebounded from those drafts but I just don't see the point. I'd prefer to talk about what he's doing now... and so far, it looks pretty good on the draft front.

    I doubt I'd ever bring it up, but for the fact they brought Ryan back. Hopefully he changed his approach in his time off, but this off-season indicates he has not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.