Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the window's open........

When the window's open........

With the next group of prospects coming up, will Ryan add the final piece when they're ready to contend? He pretty much wasted Mauer and Morneau's prime years when that window was open. Instead he chose to hoard his prospects and predictably none of them turned out anyway.

In 2004 the team could have used a bat and and arm. Instead they went to the postseason with Lew Ford and the terrified rookie Jason Kubel at DH, and the hittable sinkerballer Silva as the 3rd starter.

In 2006, Ryan's major acquisition was Phil Nevin to join Jason Tyner as quite possibly the worst DH platoon ever assembled. Not to mention nothing done to bolster a pitching staff with Brad Radke's shredded shoulder hanging on by a thread.

In 2007 he said they were buyers and instead traded Castillo for nothing. That was officially the moment where Santana basically said "get me the hell out of here".

When you're good, you trade prospects and go for broke. When you're bad, you trade veterans for prospects and rebuild. The Twins? They do neither. They just kind of wallow around in the middle, unsure of what the hell they want to do, so they just do nothing. NO DIRECTION WHATSOEVER. Doesn't there just come a time where you gut the front office and coaching staff and start over? I've never seen an organization so stale. So behind the times. They need new blood. New ideas. New philosophies. IT'S TIME.
    Last edited by Kenneth Kitsom; 06-19-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I don't think the Twins are for sale.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Kitsom View Post
    When you're good, you trade prospects and go for broke. When you're bad, you trade veterans for prospects and rebuild. The Twins? They do neither. They just kind of wallow around in the middle, unsure of what the hell they want to do, so they just do nothing.
    There are plenty of teams that don't "go for broke" every time they have a winning season. Those teams also seem to maintain a pretty high level of competition year in and year out. That's hardly a coincidence. You can be the Brewers or you can be the Cardinals. Which would you prefer? An all-out shot at glory for 1-2 seasons (that can still ultimately fail) or a steady hand getting to the playoffs every season and then seeing what happens from there? I'll take the latter every time, as we've seen how often those "go for broke" teams fail in the playoffs.

And your idea of "wallowing in the middle" is vastly different from mine. The Blue Jays perennially wallow in the middle. The Twins, on the other hand, went to the playoffs six times last decade. Would I have liked to see them walk away with a ring? Yes. Would I have liked to see a few more aggressive trades? Sure, if they made sense.

This team is very conservative. But that's not only a weakness, it's also a strength and part of the reason why they were so successful in the 2000s. You may disagree with their actions but that doesn't mean the front office is stupid.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a good example of firing your gun without really aiming at anything. I do it myself, but I try not to type it and post it without a bit more research into specifics.

Sure, there may have been moves Terry Ryan could have made that would have worked out better, but which ones, and would they not have required more than a few tough predictions, especially about the future?

Remember Jason Marquis? Man, what a bust. That guy couldn't pitch his way out of... Oh, wait, now he's pitching great, a year after we had him. Not to mention RA Dickey, that worthless knuckleballer... Oh wait, he won 22 games the year after we let him go.

It goes on and on, and every one reading this could probably cite at least a couple examples of guys that should have been at least good, but flopped here, then went elsewhere and played great.

However, there's a more than a little selective memory going on, too. Most of the guys the Twins got rid of did not go on to have monster seasons with other teams.

When you want to take grouchy shots at Twins executives, you should consider the constraints they work under. Cheapo owners, players that don't want to come here, and just bad luck with guys like Marquis and Dickey. You should also acknowledge that despite the bad luck and low-end payroll, this team won its division several times not long ago, with a pretty good style of team baseball.

Even teams with $200 million dollar payrolls don't always win the Series. Imagine the abysmal stupidity it takes to fail with that kind of money. Makes the whole business look like a crap shoot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    In 2007 he said they were buyers and instead traded Castillo for nothing. That was officially the moment where Santana basically said "get me the hell out of here".

For nothing?! For nothing?! If not for that trade we would not have fan favorite Drew Butera.

I'm not big on trading away the prospects, I'd rather the team predicted team needs better and filled the holes in free agency. Even so, there are times to make these trades like early this century when the Twins had outfield prospects everywhere with Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones as mainstays and Michael Cuddyer, Michael Restovich, Michael Ryan, Garrett Jones, Brian Buchanan, Dustin Mohr and Bobby Keilty all fighting for their chance to play.

Ryan ended up making nice trades flipping Kielty for Shannon Stewart and Buchanan for Jason Bartlett. You'd think he would have realized he could keep dealing from his OF surplus but he didn't. Restovich was such a highly rated prospect and there was never going to be room for him. Considering what Buchanon and Kielty brought back, Restovich might have landed a really nice player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    There are plenty of teams that don't "go for broke" every time they have a winning season. Those teams also seem to maintain a pretty high level of competition year in and year out. That's hardly a coincidence. You can be the Brewers or you can be the Cardinals. Which would you prefer? An all-out shot at glory for 1-2 seasons (that can still ultimately fail) or a steady hand getting to the playoffs every season and then seeing what happens from there? I'll take the latter every time, as we've seen how often those "go for broke" teams fail in the playoffs.

And your idea of "wallowing in the middle" is vastly different from mine. The Blue Jays perennially wallow in the middle. The Twins, on the other hand, went to the playoffs six times last decade. Would I have liked to see them walk away with a ring? Yes. Would I have liked to see a few more aggressive trades? Sure, if they made sense.

This team is very conservative. But that's not only a weakness, it's also a strength and part of the reason why they were so successful in the 2000s. You may disagree
    with their actions but that doesn't mean the front office is stupid.
    You bring up two important things here.

The Cardinals are definitely the model the Twins should strive for and attempt to copy going forward. They are good in all aspects of being a strong, consistent organization that should have sustained success.

The second point was about the Twins being conservative. Yes. And as you said this can be good and bad and also frustrating for a fan. I personally wish they were more progressive and strategic over conservative and methodical but both methods can and do work.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    This is the delta between McPhail and Ryan.....Andy did go for it when the team was close.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    You bring up two important things here.

The Cardinals are definitely the model the Twins should strive for and attempt to copy going forward. They are good in all aspects of being a strong, consistent organization that should have sustained success.

The second point was about the Twins being conservative. Yes. And as you said this can be good and bad and also frustrating for a fan. I personally wish they were more progressive and strategic over conservative and methodical but both methods can and do work.
    I agree the Twins should emulate the Cardinals but they aren't conservative. I can't think of any team that is successful on the field consistantly and conservative in as many aspects of the game that the Twins appear to be. Maybe the A's and Rays in terms of financial conservatism but that is due to those teams being in terrible financial situations. Those teams make up for it by not being conservative on the trade fronts. Those are wheeling and dealing GM's who have a proven track record when it comes to drafting and developing pitchers, who they later will have no qualms about agressively trading.

I'm not in favor of trading away a bunch of prospects, but then the team needs to fill it's holes in free agency. Because there WILL be holes. Always.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 06-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    With the next group of prospects coming up, will Ryan add the final piece when they're ready to contend?
    I'm not sure the window will be open any time soon. We don't know how many of our valued prospects will flourish or how many will bust. If they flourish, they certainly won't all flourish right away. Adjustment times will be needed for most if not all.

There seems to be a growing assumption that our guys will come up, all succeed and we'll have this strong group for 5, 6 years or so. There are no guarantees. That's one reason why it's so frustrating to see when people defend the lack of spending by saying wait a couple years till we are contenders. First, you always try to improve your club, especially when the spending won't hurt in the future, and second, where's the guarantee we'll be contenders in a couple years? Heck even if a majority of our prospects end up being good major leaguers, it's not going to be right away.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-19-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
    I partially agree with you here Kenneth, my quarrel with your point is about the "all-in" and dealing prospects. One of the things I like best about Ryan is that he won't sacrifice the long-term strength of the organization for rentals. That strategy isn't the golden ticket to World Series titles that some seem to think and it can badly damage the future product.

However, where Ryan worries me greatly is in using FA and cash resources. Not moving prospects is wise because they are the foundation of the future for a club, but available cash is nothing but pocket-stuffing for ownership. That resource should be used to it's fullest available extent to make the team better so long as the team won't horde it for future mega-spending. Ryan is public about loathing any deal that is 4 years or more (especially for pitching) which basically takes you out of playing with the big boys.

That has to change in the next 3-4 years, or we may be making a list much like you did ten years from now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm not in favor of trading away a bunch of prospects, but then the team needs to fill it's holes in free agency. Because there WILL be holes. Always.
    This is why last offseason was so frustrating. Hey, I understand the reasoning to not pursue Anibal Sanchez or Edwin Jackson. The Twins were a long way from competitive and they could spend $30m+ to waste 2-3 years of those players' prime years.

But that doesn't mean you don't spend any money.

And when this team is competitive again, they damned well better open that checkbook. There's simply no reason not to do it.

I agree with the premise of "strong farm equals strong franchise". I don't believe in going for broke most of the time and rolling the dice on a single season. On the other hand, if you're not going to trade away prospects, you damned well better buy from free agents, especially if you have the money to do it.

And the Twins have the money to do it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 202 Times in 122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what the Twins would be like if they let the fans run the organization. That would be an interesting concept.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I wonder what the Twins would be like if they let the fans run the organization. That would be an interesting concept.
    I wonder what it would be like if Ryan had done what McPhail did. Neither your fantasy or mine will come true though.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our active roster would consist of 9 albatross contracts and 16 19-year-old prospects that we want to develop at the MLB level.

Senior Member All-Star
    The reply is a harsher dig on Terry Ryan than I'd prefer to give but since you wanted to play this game:

I wonder what the Twins would look like if they let Andrew Friedman, Brian Sabean, John Mozeliak, Dave Dombrowski, Frank Wren, John Daniels or Billy Beane run the organization.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Based on the fan posts I've seen here, the fans cannot even agree how to run the organization.. Half of them would spend 300M on any available free agent, and the other half would trade off the farm for a few marginal upgrades.

I tend to agree with Brock and Levi, there's definitely some room on the FA side of things, but given where the Twins are right now, strengthening the farm is a priority. Trading off prospects for established players right now can only be described as foolish. Even signing free agents might make the team more competitive, but hurts them in the draft/international FA market as well. As it stands today, I think we pick 7th next year... A few more wins and that might be 10th. A few more losses and we are back in the top 5, and when picking that high, there's a huge difference between what we get. I see the FA market as a way to fill in the gaps as the next wave hits; I'm not sure it makes sense during a rebuild. Some guys won't cut it or we will still have postions of need, and FA can plug that hole, but not until then.

I realize that the farm is stocked now, but rushing the rebuild will deplete it quicker and give us less time at the top (and potentially less elite teams to win a WS).

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    I wonder what the Twins would be like if ownership was committed first and foremost to winning, rather than financial security.

Senior Member MVP
    Who here suggested trading prospects, now? I think the OP asked if Ryan would trade prospects when the MLB team is good, and needs to fill holes. I think he asked if they would sign free agents to fill holes when they are good, not now. Based on his history, the answer is no, he will not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Who here suggested trading prospects, now?
    In fairness, it's hard to slam an opposing view if you don't use extremes to make a point...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    As it stands today, I think we pick 7th next year... A few more wins and that might be 10th. A few more losses and we are back in the top 5, and when picking that high, there's a huge difference between what we get.
    Especially with the excitement of the draft still lingering this is always something fun to think about, but at some point the goal is for the Twins first pick to be #30. As 1991 demonstrated it certainly is possible to go from a top 5 pick to #30 but it's unlikely. At some point you likely have to methodically start increasing your win total. From the current standings, the Twins look to be drafting at #9 right now. I'd like a top 5 pick, but it would probably be better for the development of the young players at the MLB level that they don't get accustomed to losing.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast