Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Plouffe Be Shopped?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should Plouffe Be Shopped?

While we wonder whether Morneau or Willingham are worth trading, there is a name that is brought up a lot less often: Trevor Plouffe. If the Twins are convinced Sano can stay at 3rd, Plouffe is looking more and more like a cheap, productive, everyday player at a position that is hard to fill, similar to Denard Span a couple of years ago.

Now there is a name that could bring back a pitching prospect, right? And would you?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not yet. I don't think anyone has enough confidence in Trevor to offer anything of value.

If he ends the season with an .800 OPS and 450+ PAs, then I'd definitely shop him but only make the deal if the return was good. If not, hold on to him for another season. There's really no rush with Trevor because Sano is far from ready with the glove.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought Plouffe should have been shopped last year. After the injuries, though, I don't think he'd bring much back. He's got six weeks to fix that.

Member Single-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First of all, I like the idea of trading Plouffe. His .756 OPS last season would have placed him 11th among qualified 3rd basemen and his .792 OPS this year would place him 9th among qualified 3rd basemen. This, combined with the fact that he's a right-handed power-hitter, makes him a valuable commodity at the trade deadline.
    That being said, I would wait to trade Plouffe for two reasons:
    1. He isn't blocking a legitimate 3B prospect (Sano) and probably won't until next year's trade deadline.
    2. His value will be higher in the future. Plouffe's OPS has improved each of the last 3 seasons, and should be expected to rise in the future with more playing time, especially because he is just 27.

Everyone should at least have their trade value examined.
    Like Benson/Hendriks, I get the feeling that the organiztion isnt in love with him but just puts up with him as they have no other alternatives.

I like the thought line and I'd do it. My question is would any other GM. It's hard to imagine that Plouffe could fetch something like Span, right? Plouffe only has 262 games and fewer than 1,000 PAs at age 27 with a 236/302/428 line while being a below average defender. He had a great June 2012 but probably needs to be healthy play well the next six weeks. By age 28 with Twins, Span had played 654 games with a 284/357/389 line.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No, he holds 3B until Sano, then moves to the primary 1B until one comes up, is acquired, splitting time with mauer at 1B. No need to deal him at all, unless you have a 1B to play that is as good as him (which they don't).
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Everyone should at least have their trade value examined.
    Like Benson/Hendriks, I get the feeling that the organiztion isnt in love with him but just puts up with him as they have no other alternatives.
    That seems to be the case with many on the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we let Willingham go (or he gets injured) where is your RH power? Dozier?

Sano will not break camp with the Twins next year and may not get to MLB next year. People seem to forget his BA was like .258 last year. He is going to need time at each level.

Trading Plouffe at this point would be silly unless the Twins were blown away, and that is not going to happen.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    First of all, I like the idea of trading Plouffe. His .756 OPS last season would have placed him 11th among qualified 3rd basemen and his .792 OPS this year would place him 9th among qualified 3rd basemen. This, combined with the fact that he's a right-handed power-hitter, makes him a valuable commodity at the trade deadline.
    That being said, I would wait to trade Plouffe for two reasons:
    1. He isn't blocking a legitimate 3B prospect (Sano) and probably won't until next year's trade deadline.
    2. His value will be higher in the future. Plouffe's OPS has improved each of the last 3 seasons, and should be expected to rise in the future with more playing time, especially because he is just 27.
    I just wanted to say that I'm a big fan of your posts. You've hit the ground running.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am examining this possibility right now. None of these Twin players are going to bring back "top prospects" in the "top 100" sense. But that hardly matters. Getting good value back is all that is needed.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm not sure Sano will stick at 3B, and even if he does the Twins would need a bridge to Sano if they trade Plouffe.

I like Plouffe and I think he can be a solid starting 3B for a few years, something like Casey Blake was for the Indians.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see him bringing back enough at this point. Maybe if he gets it going and has a nice second half you visit the idea again in the offseason. But I don't see him as "blocking" Sano, given that the Twins don't seem like Plouffe's defense at third and would probably prefer to move him to RF or 1B anyway.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    No, he holds 3B until Sano, then moves to the primary 1B until one comes up, is acquired, splitting time with mauer at 1B. No need to deal him at all, unless you have a 1B to play that is as good as him (which they don't).
    They actually have 2 that are better than him: Mauer and Morneau.

I would rather keep Plouffe regardless of whether Sano opens next yr w/MN (think its very possible) and turn him into a RHH utility guy who plays everyday vs lefties (who he kills) but I dont think Gardy is that type of manager (will he even be back).
    If Gardy stays, I absolutely would welcome seein what kind of deal you can get.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor needs to grow his hair out again. He was dominating right up until his haircut last season (probably) and he is clearly a modern-day Samson.

That being said, I'd shop anyone on the team. It just takes one team to value someone more than you do in order to pull off a good trade.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

It's absurd to think Plouffe would block Sano, one of the organization's crown jewels. If Sano is ready next spring, he'll come north and they'll find another spot for Plouffe, whether its at 1B, an OF spot or some kind of utility role. He can be useful somewhere. Sure you listen to offers for Plouffe now but you don't have to do anything. Most likely you hang on to him because the return won't be spectacular, and see what happens next spring.

Trevor splits
    vs LHP 234ABs .282/.349/.530 13HR
    vs RHP 659ABs .220/.286/.392 26HR
    Would love to see how trevor would prosper under a manager who knew how to use him correctly (Joe Madden!!)
    He had very huge splits in the minors also so this isnt a under 1000AB abberation

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would rather keep Plouffe regardless of whether Sano opens next yr w/MN (think its very possible) and turn him into a RHH utility guy who plays everyday vs lefties (who he kills) but I dont think Gardy is that type of manager (will he even be back).
    If Gardy stays, I absolutely would welcome seein what kind of deal you can get.
    Plouffe's bat is too good to be reduced to a utility role. In the future, find whatever position is weakest offensively on the Twins and move him there. Plus, he hasn't scratched his peak value yet. Let him continue to improve and validate his previous successes.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor splits
    vs LHP 234ABs .282/.349/.530 13HR
    vs RHP 659ABs .220/.286/.392 26HR
    Would love to see how trevor would prosper under a manager who knew how to use him correctly (Joe Madden!!)
    He had very huge splits in the minors also so this isnt a under 1000AB abberation
    Who the hell would you rather play than him vs. Rightys?! Jamey Carroll? Eduardo Escobar? Gardy is bad, but criticizing his use of Plouffe is foolish when there is no superior option. A .678 OPS vs. RHP is not that terrible and I'm confident he will be able to top .750 in the future against them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast