Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The Future of Trevor Plouffe

Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    He hasn't been Gibson enough for me. Once he shows the appropriate level of Gibson, then we can talk about him having a future.
    Yup. I like Plouffe a lot, but Gibsonly inGibson has been a trademark.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
    Plouffe has two assets - power and versatility. Gardy always praised Cuddy when he would move around playing various positions and said he was a team MVP. When the kiddie corps is all up (Buxton, Hicks & Arcia in OF, Sano 3B, Rosario 2B, Pinto C, Someone SS), Ploufffe can be available for DH, PH, and backup at all IF and corner OF and still be playing almost every day at a different position. I realize he's not Jamie Carol as a fielder, but he's an adequate backup who has some pop. Add in Mauer as 1B, C and DH and someone like Vargas or Harrison and maybe Escobar and you've got a great everyday lineup plus a very good bench. Do not trade Plouffe, but maybe he should learn some card tricks, just in case, to earn Gardy's praise.

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well if he's going to find a home in the OF it's going to be a rented one, with Hicks already there, Arcia pushing to stay and Buxton and Kepler on the horizon. Methinks if Plouffe's going to relocate to the OF it will be as a 4th, alternating at DH wih Arcia perhaps.
    3rd is his for the foreseeable future with only Sano as a likley successor, 1st is a possibilty if Parms doesn't getting it going and the team eventually runs out of patience. Add it all up and his future with the club into what should be their next competitive phase is very cloudy.
    I agree it could be crowded in the OF in a few years. It could also be fairly barren since the prospects you mentioned are in fact, prospects. Hicks might never figure out how to hit as a lefty, Arcia's best position might be DH, Buxton is a monster but hasn't reached High-A yet and Kepler still plays in the Ramstein Air Base League, I believe.

I think Arcia and Buxton are going to be phenomenal but I'm not sold on the other two. I'm not sold on Plouffe either but there will be room for him to find a spot for at least the next couple of years.
    Last edited by chuchadoro; 06-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    He hasn't been Gibson enough for me. Once he shows the appropriate level of Gibson, then we can talk about him having a future.
    I'm stealing this.

Everybody else should, too.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Hicks will be okay as a center fielder, but he might not hit enough to be a corner. If so, Buxton pushes him out of the organization when he gets to Minnesota. Plouffe's versatility should serve him well if Sano becomes the regular third baseman.

Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The Cuddyer/Plouffe comparison is an old one. But now I am convinced that Plouffe can both hit and field better than Cuddyer. Just his mouth is smaller. I think that the Twins can find a place for him (even maybe 1st base?) after it is all said and done...
    Thanks for the chuckle, thrylos. Two years removed and a league away and yet you can still remain objective about Cuddy.

I don't like Plouffe. He tweets too much.

Oh, and don't destroy your opinion by looking, but Cuddy is pulling off an All-Star caliber, Gibsonly year. Although it's nothing compared to Plouffe.

Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Methinks the perception of Plouffe's talent is far rosier than it actually is. Ruthian two week binges can have that effect.

He'll probably be a semi-valuable bench player for the team, which fits his inability to Gibsonly have good at-bats and field his position.
    Well put.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post

Oh, and don't destroy your opinion by looking, but Cuddy is pulling off an All-Star caliber, Gibsonly year. Although it's nothing compared to Plouffe.
    Actually, Plouffe had a higher OPS+ than Cuddyer last year.
    And I'm happy for Cuddy, but this will be far and away his finest year IF his numbers hold in that clear mountain air.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Plouffe's versatility means there will be a starting position available for him in the future. Not every prospect is going to hack it. Some are going to fail. As long as Plouffe continues to OPS .750-.800 he will have a spot somewhere.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Plouffe has two assets - power and versatility. Gardy always praised Cuddy when he would move around playing various positions and said he was a team MVP. When the kiddie corps is all up (Buxton, Hicks & Arcia in OF, Sano 3B, Rosario 2B, Pinto C, Someone SS), Ploufffe can be available for DH, PH, and backup at all IF and corner OF and still be playing almost every day at a different position. I realize he's not Jamie Carol as a fielder, but he's an adequate backup who has some pop. Add in Mauer as 1B, C and DH and someone like Vargas or Harrison and maybe Escobar and you've got a great everyday lineup plus a very good bench. Do not trade Plouffe, but maybe he should learn some card tricks, just in case, to earn Gardy's praise.
    Plouffe also has one other major asset for this team right now: he bats RH. Not as important when Sano & Buxton come charging through, but right now with Mauer, Morneau, Arcia, Parmelee...it can be a pretty LH-heavy lineup. Plouffe adds a bit of balance.

He need to show he can stay healthy and out of an extended slump, but despite his defensive deficiencies, he could be a valuable asset for the Twins both as a current player and as trade-bait in the future. The power production is really nice.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    Actually, Plouffe had a higher OPS+ than Cuddyer last year.
    And I'm happy for Cuddy, but this will be far and away his finest year IF his numbers hold in that clear mountain air.
    Well, his OPS is near .900 away from Coors Field and he's 6th in the NL in OPS+. It's not all about Coors.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 06-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12