Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Stuart Turner

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Stuart Turner

Turner was drafted out of Ole Miss with the 78th overall selection in the 2013 draft. Baseball America ranked him #110 in their pre-draft 500.

Turner signed quickly for a below-slot $550k.

As is the Twins typical style, they drafted a catcher in Turner who earns rave reviews for what he can do defensively. Everything you want in a defensive catcher, Turner offers including an arm that threw out nearly half would-be basestealers with a pop time under 1.9 seconds.

Despite finishing with a batting average of .389 that placed him third in college baseball's most competitive conference, questions remain about Turner's swing. The Twins believed enough in his hit-tool to make him a 3rd round pick.

The likelihood is that Turner will begin his season with the E-town Twins, but Turner has what it takes to be the first position player from the 2013 to make the jump to full-season ball, potentially helping Cedar Rapids in their question for a Midwest League Title.

Clips

Interview

Feel free to add your own findings!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    The Twins searched long and hard for a catcher this draft. I'm not saying he will become Yogi Berra, but I have no doubt this is a solid pick up. My hope is they use the same due diligence next draft, and find our SS of the future.

How can his "hit tool" be that bad? He almost batted .400! Good lord. Sometimes I think these scouts overthink this crap.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smcginnity View Post
    How can his "hit tool" be that bad? He almost batted .400! Good lord. Sometimes I think these scouts overthink this crap.
    College numbers mean very little, if anything, when looking at future big league success. The over all talent levels are just too different. This is why scouts look at tools. If people thought Turner was going to hit he wouldn't have made it to the third round.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will see, can not hurt to have some extra catchers in the system. Question is for Turner, can he call a good game?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Lehmann and Drew Butera have value in the system as well. Hopefully Turner proves to be better than those two, but I doubt by much. College baseball at the top level is akin to low-A ball, so I have little doubt that he won't end up in CR at the end of its season.

He is one of the players that has really delayed my updated prospect list.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    What value does Drew have in the system?
    Maybe the 3base bag gets torn and we use Drew as the new bag?