Thread: Article: Pitching will be biggest issue in 2012

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Pitching will be biggest issue in 2012

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Ryan says he's worried about the Bullpen? This is his Bullpen, why is he worried? This year, the market experienced a glut of proven Free Agent Bullpen arms at reasonable prices. Instead, Ryan chose to go Dumpster diving. His collection of waver wire candidates cost less then a million dollars. Last fall, Terry Ryan told the Season Ticket Holders that payroll would not inhibit him from doing what was needed to improve the Ball Club. I will take him at his word. Obviously, Ryan must feel that what he did was superior to the Teams who picked up the proven Pitchers.. If he has second thoughts this might apply (YOU MADE YOUR BED, NOW GO SLEEP IN IT!!)

Lets hope that the Bullpen comes through.

Last edited by Highabove; 04-06-2012 at 04:25 AM.

I agree that the bullpen is scary but it's our starting staff that is giving me the worst nightmares. With Baker out we are now down to 4th and 5th starters (okay, Frankie might be better but inconsistency is his trademark). We really needed Mark Buerhle or somebody of that caliber (or better). I just have a sinking feeling that our starters will be awful and our bullpen won't be able to plug the holes and stop the sinking. And stinking. Ugh. I'm thankful that I have the Nationals to watch out here on the East Coast. Check out their pitching. Lannan wants to be traded.

To me the game is about pitching. Look at the ballclubs that make the post season, it comes down to pitching. Living in Fort Myers, we can watch the Rays and the Marlins. It will be a tough year for the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Starting pitching is scary. I hope they send Swarzak to Rochester and stretch him out. He's been a decent starter for periods. Other than that, I guess you've got Diamond and Manship. Maybe Maloney. Not exciting, but maybe not any worse than Lannan.

Bullpen--lets wait and see. Not too worried yet. At least there are a few hopeful arms in reserve should the current ones fail.

Its hard to be too critical of Ryan, at least as far as the bullpen goes. Pitching is volatile, injuries likely but often hard to predict. Look at the closers that have all gone down already: Soria, Madson, Bailey, and now Farnsworth.

Yeah, the whole pitching staff scares the crap out of me. With Baker "hurt", Liriano is the one guy with potential for a really good year, but he's extremely erratic from year-to-year, and last year was NOT good. There is not much else in the starting rotation. Yes, we have a pitcher's park, which aids the pitch to contact guys, but only to an extent.

The bullpen is terrifying. I actually think that Capps will be fine (and that "closer" may be irrelevant most games anyway, if we're LOSING by the 9th). Perkins was very good last year. But that's about it. Even if one of these guys emerges as a dark horse, there's no depth at all, nobody who can really miss any bats, and these guys will have to throw a TON of innings. Yikes.

I also cringed when I read Terry Ryan admitting that his bullpen "worries" him. Yes, he's being honest, which is appreciated as a fan...but it's OPENING DAY. Other than Zumaya, which was completely predictable, there's no injury or freak circumstance that results in the bullpen we have right now...it's the creation of the front office.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's too hard to tell what would be the biggest issue in 2012. On paper, both the bats and the arms seem to be a bit better than 2011. I just hope they stay healthy... I think that the pen at least with Perkins, Duensing, Capps and Swarzak there are some known quantities (as long as Gardy uses them correctly). The Baker situation is unfortunate. Blackburn and esp. Liriano seem to be doing ok (I am keeping my fingers crossed). I think that if a couple of Maloney/Burton/Gray/whatever exceed expectations and the Twins are contending, they might be smart enough to trade Span around the deadline for a front end starter. Way too much OF/CF depth in the organization right now not to take advantage of that. We'll see. I have a good feeling about this season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I'm more worried about starting pitching than the bullpen. The bullpen will take care of itself once Capps gets switched to setup and Perkins to closer. I agree with StormJH1, Lirano's 2011 was not good even though the Twins call it "solid" and he remains a head case. He had a pretty good Spring but with him there's just no predicting. I'm just waiting for the usual problem with Blacky when his sinker stops sinking. Marquis is an unknown. Ugh, when are we going to get a good pitcher? I hope they pick a pitcher at their #2 pick. One with star power.