Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Cody's Top 10 Twins Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Top 10 Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Pretty good - there are teams that would be thrilled to have your HMs.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kohl is not even signed and is a top 5 prospect. Well, that's hype for ya! For me, I think an important factor that is left out of the "prospect" equation on individual team's lists, is how fast they get to or can get to the MLB team. With most lists, they are devalued as they get more MLB ready (except the ones that include all the teams, perhaps), where as they actually become more valuable as they get closer to contributing, like Arcia (who may not really get to be called a prospect now). Kohl Stewart, for the very fact that in the Twins organization he is at least 3 years away, and more likely 4 or 5 or even 6........ well, his value is not as great in my mind. Kyle Gibson, as the pitcher most ready to actually contribute, would be surely ahead of Stewart for the Twins. But I respect your post and offering, for sure.
    Last edited by h2oface; 06-13-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Liked 301 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If only half these guys pan out, then the next decade will be a lot of fun for Twins fans.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Nice to see 5 thru 8 were starting pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    I don't get how Gibson keeps getting that low relative to other pitchers. We are pretty much 100% certain he is a MLB starter, I don't know we know that about Berrios or Meyer for sure yet. I get that they might have a higher upside, but we don't really know their floor. But, that's really a nit, generally the list looks good (both how you ranked them, and that the list has good players on it).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Prospect lists have to balance ceiling with certainty and each ranking takes them into account differently. Guys like Sickels value certainty while rankings from someone like KLaw value ceiling. This list would tend to be a little closer to the latter. Nothing wrong with that.

It'll be interesting to see where Stewart ends up on the national lists this off-season.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't get how Gibson keeps getting that low relative to other pitchers. We are pretty much 100% certain he is a MLB starter, I don't know we know that about Berrios or Meyer for sure yet. I get that they might have a higher upside, but we don't really know their floor. But, that's really a nit, generally the list looks good (both how you ranked them, and that the list has good players on it).
    You don't know that. The Twins wont promote him so it is impossible to know that. Potential is weighed heavily in prospect lists, that is the nature of the sport. Coming into the year I would have had Arcia as the number one prospect because of how well he performed at such a young age. The reason people are rating Buxton so high is because his ceiling right now is a HOF player, same can be said about Sano. Imagine 3 HOF players on the Twins at the same time! That assumes Mauer gets in, which I think he should. Gibson doesn't have a lot of projection left yet either. We know what he is, and his stuff looks to be better than a #3 pitcher, but not a #1.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. Kyle Gibson's delivery has some of the same precision and balance as Mark Appel. Gibson will be the team's ace pitcher the moment he ascends the mound at Target Field.

Senior Member All-Star
    We do not know anything....but if you had to bet right now, which non-Kohl pitcher do you think is more likely to have a good MLB career, who would you bet your life on?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Gibson is underrated but I will take Meyer and Stewart above him. I would also bump Stewart into the #3 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Agreed.Gibson will be the team's ace pitcher the moment he ascends the mound at Target Field.
    Agreed but all that basically means is that he has a pulse.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do not know anything....but if you had to bet right now, which non-Kohl pitcher do you think is more likely to have a good MLB career, who would you bet your life on?
    Do I have to bet my life? Can I bet somebody else's life on it instead?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm mine are:
    Buxton
    Sano
    Arcia
    Rosario
    Meyer
    Berrios
    Stewart
    Gibson
    Pinto
    Kepler

Ceiling alone, I'd but Stewart 3, but is dropped with the certainty factor and how far from majors in my rankings.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Stewart, but I am not putting him ahead of Gibson, Meyer, or Berrios. He is just ahead of May for me. I am rather surprised that so many are willing to put Stewart on such a pedestal.

I don't think the Twins drafted well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so my top 60 prospect list isn't going to change all that much because of the draft. I will put Eades somewhere, of course, and Turner, but the latter's very realizable floor is Danny Lehmann. His ceiling is past Butera, but I don't know how much higher.
    Last edited by Shane Wahl; 06-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    Do I have to bet my life? Can I bet somebody else's life on it instead?
    Sure, but only if you place a value on it.
    Lighten up Francis....

J.O. followed by Meyer

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I like Stewart, but I am not putting him ahead of Gibson, Meyer, or Berrios. He is just ahead of May for me. I am rather surprised that so many are willing to put Stewart on such a pedestal.

I don't think the Twins drafted well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so my top 60 prospect list isn't going to change all that much because of the draft. I will put Eades somewhere, of course, and Turner, but the latter's very realizable floor is Danny Lehmann. His ceiling is past Butera, but I don't know how much higher.
    People said this last year with Buxton. How did that turn out? Elite talent is elite talent no matter what level they are at. I don't see the point of knocking Stewart just because he hasn't played in the minors yet.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Strib reporting Navaretto and Turner have signed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by launchingthrees View Post
    J.O. followed by Meyer
    You are braver than me....gibson is in AAA, and appears ready to be a number 3 starter in the majors in the next year or so. JO is in low A, and some scouts feel his FB is too straight. You, sir, are brave.
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast