Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Baker had a set back

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries

Looks like Baker had a set back

out of the Miracle game after he faced 3 batters. No details yet...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Threw 11 pitches!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    can't be good... Not to go too negative, but sounds like Dr. James Andrews might be getting a call. Not good. Hopefully not!

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Disappointing but not surprising. It was odd that when Terry Ryan was on KFAN today he said there was 'frustration' with Baker because 'there was nothing wrong with him.' Clearly something is wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Disappointing but not surprising. It was odd that when Terry Ryan was on KFAN today he said there was 'frustration' with Baker because 'there was nothing wrong with him.' Clearly something is wrong.
    If Ryan said that on the radio, he should just a. Learn to STFU and b. fire a few of the medical types... This is just too much and getting a bit too old.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    If Ryan said that on the radio, he should just a. Learn to STFU and b. fire a few of the medical types... This is just too much and getting a bit too old.
    I don't remember exactly what Ryan said, but he was clearly annoyed with Mr. Baker. This is getting really old, guess Hendriks might be around a while.

From Joe C.:

Twins GM Terry Ryan announces that "Baker just didn’t feel right tonight. He couldn’t seem to get loose on the mound (more)...

... and instead of pushing the envelope, we decided we would go get him out of the game. We will evaluate him again tomorrow."

Blog Entries
    Per JC's twitter Ryan said that Baker "could not get loose" and decided to take him out instead of "pushing the envelope". They will re-evaluate tomorrow.
    -----

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this a fair translation? Gave up a double and a triple in his first 11 pitches... called it a day?? Frustrating!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frustrating. Yes. Frustrated with Baker. No.

I did not get a sense that Ryan is frustrated with Baker. He is frustrated that they can't get a handle on the problem.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    "Baker 'could not get loose'"

Seems to me that we heard this last year before an injury to another pitcher. Any recollections?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    There has to be something wrong with him. Baker has 9.5 million reasons to show the club that he would be a good investment.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Repeat

This sounds like a repeat of last year with Mauer, i.e. the utter incompetence of the Twins trainers and medical staff. Yet, as far as I know - no one was fired in the off-season. Just a very bad sign of things to come. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure glad the Pohlad family decided to cut payroll by $15 million and not upgrade the pitching staff. More pitch to contact guys like Hendriks, Wimmers, and Salcedo. Let's not forget the great Kyle Gibson who will never make to the big show after TJ surgery. This organization is a mess and the Twins will have to score 15 runs a game to win.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 04-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Call me the blind optimist but if the twins can get their earned runs per game around 4.0 (hopefully less) and our avg runs per game above 4.0 then we should ultimately Finnish with a winning record right? Don't forget we do have an extra wild card this year, and I'm gonna call a Detroit disappointment this year (not that they won't win games but defiantly Finnish lower than expected with their mish-mash of a wannabe Yankee team)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This raises a disturbing question. If winning is sixty percent pitching, and the Twins have sixty percent of an average pitching staff, then how can we expect them to win half their games? By my crayon-on-napkin calculations, 0.6 x 0.6 = 0.36, so the Twins will win just 0.36 games! How can they fill the stands if they can't win even one game? And how can Joe Mauer win another batting title if his average is BELOW 1???

I know math is a hard science, but how can it be so cruel?

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    "Baker 'could not get loose'"

Seems to me that we heard this last year before an injury to another pitcher. Any recollections?
    I think that was Baker before they shut him down for the year. Rest was supposed to cure what ailed him, but I don't think they ever had a handle on exactly what that was. (Still don't.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Let's not forget the great Kyle Gibson who will never make to the big show after TJ surgery.
    Maybe Gibson could become the first player to come back from Tommy John surgery and be effective.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    This sounds like a repeat of last year with Mauer, i.e. the utter incompetence of the Twins trainers and medical staff. Yet, as far as I know - no one was fired in the off-season. Just a very bad sign of things to come. Hope I'm wrong, but...
    Because they're both coming off of off-season surgery? Because poor training was the cause of either injury? Because...??

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have any of you pitched, even in high school? I ask because I am wondering about your experience if you have not been able to get loose. For me, it was not about my arm. It was about my legs being tired which resulted in changing how I threw. I have no idea about Baker's conditioning, but I would say that it might not be a problem with his elbow. Hopefully.

Also, there is going to be no reason whatsoever to pick up his option. Spend the money on Liriano (assuming he has a very good year--if not spend it on Dempster or somebody).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast