Thread: Article: Talking Minor Leaguers With Paul Molitor

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 90 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Talking Minor Leaguers With Paul Molitor

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is fantastic. Molitor is quite honest about these players, which is really helpful.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very Nice... Thanks for sharing that.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just awesome!! What an opportunity!

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 107 Posts
    Molitor is an articulate man; and honestly, I admire his approach to give players space to demonstrate their skill set and then try to shape that skill set where needed. I was also glad for the mention that he is a mentor and teaches individuals how to be men (that is, how to hold themselves in one's profession (life)).

Given Molitor's apparent investment--really, he seems passionate about broad organizational approaches and philosophies--and his obvious pedigree and skill set, it's difficult for me not to wonder about his capacity to be the manager of the next group of kids (which, knock-on-wood-bat, might be historical for the franchise).

To read and hear what Molitor has to say about the game makes me wonder if he's being groomed for the managerial job. I doubt I'm alone, but I'm warming to the idea.

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco is 19?!? Wow

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post

To read and hear what Molitor has to say about the game makes me wonder if he's being groomed for the managerial job. I doubt I'm alone, but I'm warming to the idea.
    But would he want the job?? Now hes got a sweet deal, travel every couple of weeks, you can be the Yoda of the Twins instructors, everybody respects you, then you get to go back to Minnesota and do a little fishing. Managing a major league team has to be a grind, 162 games, starting in February and going until October. Maybe on a winning team thats fun but on a losing team it has to really be tough.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 90 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Polanco is 19?!? Wow
    For a few more weeks, yes. Polanco turns 20 on July 5.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The article reinforces some assumptions, from 30,000 feet, that a cultural shift is occurring with Brunansky, Steinbach, and Cuellar coaching. Molitor would bring a more aggressive approach to--among other things--the basepaths. Currently the Twins rank 25th out of 30 teams in stolen base attempts per game. Granted, the manager can't coach speed. The roster either gives him that option, or not. But there is something to be said for aggressive play. A manager can coach strategy. Molitor might be the sort of manager who can light the fire.

Liked 1,208 Times in 702 Posts
    Great read. Thanks so much for taking the time to transcribe the conversation and for posting it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    I am sooo glad that Molitor is part of the Twins organization. He has always been the consummate professional.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good, thoughtful answers from Molitor. Nice interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    The article reinforces some assumptions, from 30,000 feet, that a cultural shift is occurring with Brunansky, Steinbach, and Cuellar coaching. Molitor would bring a more aggressive approach to--among other things--the basepaths. Currently the Twins rank 25th out of 30 teams in stolen base attempts per game. Granted, the manager can't coach speed. The roster either gives him that option, or not. But there is something to be said for aggressive play. A manager can coach strategy. Molitor might be the sort of manager who can light the fire.
    While the Twins are 25th this year, it should be remembered that last year they were 4th in all of baseball and first in the AL in regards to stolen bases.

Great interview--thanks for posting. Very interesting comments on Harrison.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was a great read. Thanks!