Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/10): Buxton Shines

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Watch the replay on the triple Byron Buxton triple June 12 2013 - YouTube.
    very futuristic! i will be ready for it on wednesday, now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    very futuristic! i will be ready for it on wednesday, now.
    Blame the copywriter for the video, all I did was cut and paste the link as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    So you're with my claim earlier this season that he may be the best Twins prospect ever?
    Oh, I don't know Walter Johnson was pretty good.

All joking aside, I don't think that's a preposterous statement at all, and that's saying something! I do think he's on the cusp of being as good of a prospect as Mauer right now, and may end up being a better one depending on his development.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    BaseballAmerica's J.J. Cooper was at the game today and said in his 20 years of watching prospects Buxton is the best teenage prospect he has ever seen live. He later notes he never saw Trout/Harper live but still. Anyone who follows J.J. on tweeter would have read how much he likes him today. Here is a post up on BA he wrote about him:

Byron Buxton Makes A Catch for The Ages - BaseballAmerica.com
    Here's JJ's twitter -- it's got lot's of good Buxton stuff from today. The guy absolutely gushes.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-11-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I chatted with JJ last night for awhile. He doesn't get to a lot of games, but this was a good time. Saw the Kernels and Albert Almora the last couple of days. Today, he'll see the Kernels and Lance McCullers and Carlos Correa and Rio Ruiz.

Is there any way that the Twins move out of their historic reluctance and take the same chance with Buxton that DC did with Harper or Seattle did with Griffey? Some guys are just natural and adjust to whatever level they are at. It would be great to see them give Buxton at least a week to show off and taste the majors and to give twins fans a reason to attend.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love this line about Thompson: "He also, allegedly, has a sweet mustache. So that may be the source of his new-found success."

And I no doubt believe it to be true as I once did research on Carl Pavano's time with the Twins, and how his stats compared when sporting the mustache vs. being without. It was actually pretty staggering in favor of the Mustache - he pitched longer in games (over 1 inning longer on average), almost a full run less on his ERA, higher strikeout totals, something like 8 complete games with 'stache vs. only 1 without, better WHIP, etc..., etc...

He also went the entirety of the 2011 season without the 'stache, pitching considerably worse than he had in 2010 while sporting it most of the time, until the Twins were 62-99 in the win-loss columns. He brought it out for game 162 and proceeded to pitch a Complete Game Shutout (and a 1-0 win) to avoid 100 losses.

This is not an unexplainable phenomenon, the 'stache has power... q; )
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 06-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, that would be me, I guess. Blame it on the Coors Light I had at the game. I'll correct it tonight when I get home. There's probably a clever #BuxtonFacts in there, somewhere, though... I'm just not creative enough to come up with it today.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I love this line about Thompson: "He also, allegedly, has a sweet mustache. So that may be the source of his new-found success."
    Proof!

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watch the replay on the triple Byron Buxton triple June 12 2013 - YouTube. It is supposedly established lore that Bo Jackson is the fastest right hander from home to first---at 3.89 seconds. This is youtube, not an official stopwatch, mind you- but Buxton appears to get to first base, leaving home plate between the 5 and 6 second mark in the video and touching first, rounding the base mind you, at just about the 9 second mark.

More than that, on about his third stride after just touching first, he appears to actually ACCELERATE his speed to another gear altogether-- just as the RF is getting the relay from the CF, and then he still beats the throw to third.

All in all, he goes from home to third in under, or around 10 seconds- in youtube time, anyway.
    AND!!! He appeared to stumble a little around second base... AND!!! The triple was on a ball that was cut off by the Center Fielder... It didnt even get past anyone.

I really wanted a College Arm last year... I'm embarrassed with myself for wanting that. I haven't seen this SS the Astros drafted first last year but he's gotta be Sam Bowie right now. Its quite possible in a few years we will be able to say with gusto that the Astros made a mistake. We are thinking it right now... In a few years we can safely verbalize it.

God I hope Buxton keeps progressing and stays healthy.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a guy I follow on Twitter who is a big Astros fan and big into the draft. Reminds me a little of myself.

Last night he tweeted:

"Byron Buxton is making me sad."

And he loves Carlos Correa. The thing with prospects is that you always value your own more than other team's. Well, almost always. Everyone values Buxton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I haven't seen this SS the Astros drafted first last year but he's gotta be Sam Bowie right now. Its quite possible in a few years we will be able to say with gusto that the Astros made a mistake. We are thinking it right now... In a few years we can safely verbalize it.
    Probably won't hear the Kernels pitchers being too dismissive of Carlos Correa, the SS the Astros chose ahead of Buxton. Correa went 6 of 13, with a walk, two doubles, a home run and 7 RBI in the 3-game series between QC and the Kernels last week.

I'd take Buxton, undoubtedly, but it appears the Astros will probably be pretty happy with Correa, too, down the road a bit.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    AND!!! He appeared to stumble a little around second base... AND!!! The triple was on a ball that was cut off by the Center Fielder... It didnt even get past anyone.

I really wanted a College Arm last year... I'm embarrassed with myself for wanting that. I haven't seen this SS the Astros drafted first last year but he's gotta be Sam Bowie right now. Its quite possible in a few years we will be able to say with gusto that the Astros made a mistake. We are thinking it right now... In a few years we can safely verbalize it.

God I hope Buxton keeps progressing and stays healthy.
    It was never just about Correa for the Astros. They picked a guy they could sign under slot so that they could sign a couple guys over slot later on.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson View Post
    It was never just about Correa for the Astros. They picked a guy they could sign under slot so that they could sign a couple guys over slot later on.
    The Twins were/are in desperate need of a premier SS they can build the franchise around over the next 10 years- and just as much in need to pay over-slot money down the draft for a couple extra guys.

I'm still betting Buxton makes Correia and the couple extra guys resemble Bowie before it's all said and done.

The Twins were/are in desperate need of a premier SS they can build the franchise around over the next 10 years- and just as much in need to pay over-slot money down the draft for a couple extra guys.

I'm still betting Buxton makes Correia and the couple extra guys resemble Bowie before it's all said and done.
    That could happen. Maybe a couple of those guys have nice careers for the Astros, but if Buxton truly becomes the next Trout then I'd consider that a loss for them.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ......And thanks for that. Just a back to the future joke.....just...... jokin...........

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    There's a guy I follow on Twitter who is a big Astros fan and big into the draft. Reminds me a little of myself.

Last night he tweeted:

"Byron Buxton is making me sad."

And he loves Carlos Correa. The thing with prospects is that you always value your own more than other team's. Well, almost always. Everyone values Buxton.
    Haha, well said. I currently live in Houston and let's just say your friend up above isn't the only who is sad because of Buxton.

As I say this Correa also looks like a stud, just not a phemon like Buxton!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12