Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Prospects on the Move

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the moment, I've got a few names I'd like to see promoted. Some might be a little unlikely, but as far as performance goes, these players have all been solid.
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    AA Josmil Pinto
    AA Logan Darnell
    A+ Kennys Vargas
    A+ Matt Koch
    A+ Zach Jones
    A Byron Buxton
    A Dalton Hicks
    A Steven Gruver
    Rk Angel Mata

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    who do you drop ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    What are the positives at the MLB level? I am struggling, personally, to see them right now. I can't think of 1 young player that I view as a long term contributor (relief pitchers excluded).
    Living in DC area don't get much of a chance to see the Twins (and last couple of seasons only trip to Balmer is in April)--so I saw them live yesterday--get much different perspective. I was very disappointed in infielders--none seem to have range (though Florimon made a couple of nice plays after the game was decided--not when game was in balance). And Dozier should have gotten error that lead to all the runs--it was not a hit.

The good news--I was impressed by Hicks (good range, nice arm) looks like batting is getting better. I like Parmalee--great arm--pretty good defense. I don't know if his future is at 1B (depends on Sano being able to play 3rd) or RF but he is a solid player. So that is two long-term contributors.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Thanks, ya, even on the radio they said that Dozier play (and others, and the previous day) were really errors/bad defense.

Good to hear on Hicks, it is so hard to tell on the radio what the range really is. I would really like Parmalee to play every day, so the Twins can get a better feel for his offense. That's the key to me for him.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Nick, or you, have ideas of what they are, I'm all eyes.
    By my eyes, this team hasn't looked worse. I certainly remember a lot more putrid baseball being played last year... At least they have a competent defensive middle-infield (yesterday's gaffes notwithstanding).

But you're right in a lot of ways, too. The pitching is certainly frightful, and unfortunately the one guy they were counting on, Scott Diamond, has always struck me as a lefty Nick Blackburn, and has been performing as such of late.
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 06-10-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    who do you drop ?
    Scott Diamond and Mike Pelfrey

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Kvasnicka activated,Bryan Haar added to FTM roster.

Florida State League Transactions | Fort Myers Miracle Stats

Player DOB Days diff
    Miguel Sano 5/11/1993
    Eddie Rosario 9/28/1991 591
    DJ Baxendale 12/8/1990 885
    Danny Santana 11/7/1990 916
    Daniel Ortiz 1/5/1990 1222
    Alex Meyer 1/3/1990 1224

Sano is clearly the youngest player at NB right now. Listed above are the 6 youngest. Meyer is about 3.3 years older than Sano. I assume many of the other AA teams have similar age distributions. Morales is the 8th youngest, FWIW.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    who do you drop ?
    Pelfrey and Diamond

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Scott Diamond and Mike Pelfrey
    Not Diamond, or Correia. I could see Correia gone by the trade deadline, if he keeps performing as a 3rd or 4th starter should. Maybe Pelfrey--like Worley. Let's see how Walters and Deduno play out over the next few weeks. Then, bring up Gibbie and/or Albers and send one or both down. Also, can't we shelve Pelfrey if he "agrees" that, "Well.., gee whiz, the Tommy John thing isn't working... Nudge, nudge. Maybe you should shut it down and go on the 60 day DL, Pelf????" Get the hint?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Right, everything is relative... people must realize that this season can be filled with plight and still a vast improvement over the last two.
    Vast improvement? It's hard to see- and it didn't have to be...

BTW...the Twins record this year is 27-33 after 60 games. Last year at the same point? 25- 35.

How about the Hitting? Worse. Defense. In the OF, clearly worse, in the IF, close to last year. Starting Pitching? The same old, awful, same old.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    ^ I like how people constantly ignore sentences providing context, such as "Still, compared to the last two seasons, ... " when they attempt go after you, Nick. q; )
    No one is going after anyone- as far as I can tell. It's just that the actual, factual context simply doesn't suggest that compared to the last 2 seasons that much has changed for the better, except perhaps, less injuries, but even in that context, the season has yet to fully play out.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the moment, I've got a few names I'd like to see promoted. Some might be a little unlikely, but as far as performance goes, these players have all been solid.
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    AA Josmil Pinto
    AA Logan Darnell
    A+ Kennys Vargas
    A+ Matt Koch
    A+ Zach Jones
    A Byron Buxton
    A Dalton Hicks
    A Steven Gruver
    Rk Angel Mata
    You wouldn't promote DJ Baxendale?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    You wouldn't promote DJ Baxendale?
    Baxendale was already moved to AA, unless I'm confused by this work meeting I'm almost listening to.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    And Dozier should have gotten error that lead to all the runs--it was not a hit.
    I agree that Dozier should have had an error, but the play (or two?) before that Diamond failed to cover his position on a possible DP. They got one so it wasn't an error, but the Dozier play never happens if he covers 1st properly.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boylan View Post
    Yeah, I wonder about that two. Did they release two kids to free up roster spots?
    Alex Meyer went to the DL at AA

I am not sure who they brought to AA when they lost Robertson and they called up Tonkin from AA - I am guessing that might be the other spot

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Vast improvement? It's hard to see- and it didn't have to be...

BTW...the Twins record this year is 27-33 after 60 games. Last year at the same point? 25- 35.

How about the Hitting? Worse. Defense. In the OF, clearly worse, in the IF, close to last year. Starting Pitching? The same old, awful, same old.
    I agree. I find Nick Nelson's positive and insightful articles demeaning. If he truly wanted to report on the heartbeat of Twins fans, he should review the comments section of the Strib.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I agree. I find Nick Nelson's positive and insightful articles demeaning. If he truly wanted to report on the heartbeat of Twins fans, he should review the comments section of the Strib.
    So... sarcastic condescension is your response? Yeah, don't let simple facts get in the way of a well-spun straw-grasping meme.
    Got it.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What has improved over the last two, that's what I'm trying to understand. The hitting and pitching and fielding are worse, by WAR measurements (and their components) for everyone but the relief pitchers. So, I'm looking for some bright spots, and I am struggling to see them. If Nick, or you, have ideas of what they are, I'm all eyes.
    Well, as I pointed out in the thread jokin linked to, the Twins have been plagued by far fewer injuries and on-field gaffes this season. They didn't dig an inescapable hole in the first four weeks. Their bullpen has been very good, with Glen Perkins continuing to cement himself among baseball's elite relievers. Joe Mauer is having one of his best seasons. Chris Parmelee and Aaron Hicks are both looking much better after slow starts. Oswaldo Arcia showed some great signs during his stint and will surely be back soon. Pedro Florimon actually looks like he might be a decent stopgap, which I never would have expected.

As far as the Twins' team record and team rankings in WAR, I don't really care a whole lot about that. I have no illusions about this team contending in 2013 so when I'm talking about positives, I'm looking more on an individual level as it relates to the organization's future.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AAA Kyle Gibson
    AAA Andrew Albers
    AA Josmil Pinto
    AA Logan Darnell
    A+ Kennys Vargas
    A+ Matt Koch
    A+ Zach Jones
    A Byron Buxton
    A Dalton Hicks
    A Steven Gruver
    Rk Angel Mata
    I would add Adam Walker, JD Williams and Danny Ortiz as well. Probably some OF clearing at Fort Myers or when Ray and Roberts come back they just move to NB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast